Speculation: Red Wings Have Interest in Gusev

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Just a guess, but it's entirely possible that given Yzerman's familiarity with Gusev and his camp, he's already aware that something about him or his play wasn't going to be a fit on this team/organization.

Anyway you look at it, it's a risky deal. Gusev could end up anywhere between quickly terminating his deal and going back to the KHL like Shipachyov, or blowing up like Panarin. Less risky for NJ, since they've got 2 recent #1OA picks in tow and if they don't make the playoffs they can recoup the assets lost and then some when they hold a fire sale for Hall, Simmonds, Vatanen, and Greene.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Fair enough.
It is easy to look at the Subban trade, the Gusev trade... and start to wonder if the rebuild needs to take 5-7 years.

It's just interesting to know, that if we win Jack Hughes or Dahlin a year ago, does the Subban-trade happen with us? Does the Gusev -trade happen with us? Do we trade for Skinner or for Colin Miller?

Are we waiting for that lottery-win to happen and then pull the trigger. With 6th overalls, you stand pat?

That seems a GM pattern for me. Like what NYR, BUF and NJD have done.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I would agree, SY thinks this team is worse than all of us combined

Signing free agents at this point was always going to be a waste of time outside of one year deals to flip for picks

I am just disappointed he hasent taken any of the other available approaches to trying to better this franchise on the ice while still looking long term.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
The thing is, look at the upcoming draft. This is the year more than any other in a while, where you don't want to give up assets to pursue marginal gains if you are a bottom third team. Ok, there may not be a McDavid or Dahlin or stand out generational guy at this point, but it looks to have the strongest top 10 in a long while. It also looks like the 2nd and 3rd rounds might be decent too. The players that we've missed out on, I'd be disappointed about if we were 3 years further in our cycle and genuinely looking like a playoff or bubble team already. At present we'd have to pick up 2 or 3 to be confident of being a bubble team, and given our contract situation, we are far better at the moment riding out the bad contracts, seeing what we have in younger players while not rushing them, and stocking up potential assets to then be aggressive pursuing these deals in 3 years from now. If we get lucky in the lottery in 2020 and/or a few kids make bigger strides than predicted, then 3 years becomes 2 maybe...

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
The thing is, look at the upcoming draft. This is the year more than any other in a while, where you don't want to give up assets to pursue marginal gains if you are a bottom third team. Ok, there may not be a McDavid or Dahlin or stand out generational guy at this point, but it looks to have the strongest top 10 in a long while. It also looks like the 2nd and 3rd rounds might be decent too. The players that we've missed out on, I'd be disappointed about if we were 3 years further in our cycle and genuinely looking like a playoff or bubble team already. At present we'd have to pick up 2 or 3 to be confident of being a bubble team, and given our contract situation, we are far better at the moment riding out the bad contracts, seeing what we have in younger players while not rushing them, and stocking up potential assets to then be aggressive pursuing these deals in 3 years from now. If we get lucky in the lottery in 2020 and/or a few kids make bigger strides than predicted, then 3 years becomes 2 maybe...
and personally im happy as long as were making progress towards building a contender no matter if our records weak . mean while during the years of keeping the streak going just barelly making playoffs while realizing our prospect pool was weak and getting nowhere , the idiotic rebuilding on the fly era , i wasnt happy at all .

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

I feel like we say the top 10 is the strongest it’s been in a while nearly every year. 2017 was weak, but that was the narrative in both 2018 and 2019 IIRC.

Reactions: izlez

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I feel like we say the top 10 is the strongest it’s been in a while nearly every year. 2017 was weak, but that was the narrative in both 2018 and 2019 IIRC.
Maybe kids are just getting better at hockey, lol.

One thing I've noticed is that the prospects seem to be skating faster every year. The kids now can skate circles around old time players, and we're not talking about just the smaller players. I really wish they would include some sort of skating in the combines. Then I'd actually have some data to back my opinion...

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Which, as we've seen, 90% of this board is incapable of doing.

Just out of curiosity what is it you feel the 90% are advocating specifically that goes against being patient?

I have myself not seen a single poster, let alone 9 out of every 10, advocating any of the following:
- signing multiple expensive free agent vets to long term deals
- trading away 1st round picks
- trading away prospects or picks for vets
-trading away young roster players for vets

So what is it exactly you mean by lack of patience?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Btw Nj has had an amazing offseason... won the lottery got Hughes got Gusev and Subban for nothing and btw still have another first overall young player and a past MVP of the league still in his prime....

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Just out of curiosity what is it you feel the 90% are advocating specifically that goes against being patient?

I have myself not seen a single poster, let alone 9 out of every 10, advocating any of the following:

- Karlsson thread
- Offer sheets (which would include at least one 1st rounder), not technically a trade, but pretty much the same
- Trouba & Ristolainen threads
- Same as above

So they have been mentioned. Not sure about 90%, but he's not entirely off base.

Reactions: RedMenace

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

- Karlsson thread
- Offer sheets (which would include at least one 1st rounder), not technically a trade, but pretty much the same
- Trouba & Ristolainen threads
- Same as above

So they have been mentioned. Not sure about 90%, but he's not entirely off base.

The numbers may be slightly hyperbolic, but the point remains.

Ken Holland is gone; let's give SFY a chance before we throw him under the wheels, yeah?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Ken Holland is gone; let's give SFY a chance before we throw him under the wheels, yeah?

Fair enough and I don't disagree with the sentiment.

I just dont think anyone who was hoping for a different approach than a KH approach should be critiqued as inpatient or unsupportive of SY

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

I'm giving him a chance. Time will tell moving forward. Just saying that so far the offseason probably would have gone exactly the same had Holland still been here and we never hired Yzerman to begin with.

I'm just not going to blindly praise Yzerman for being patient (not signing big FAs, making big trades, etc), when Holland had done exactly the same thing over the last few offseasons and likely would have continued that approach this offseason as well.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would like to have gotten Gusev especially at that price, but given that Yzerman is the one that originally drafted Gusev and then let him go I am suspecting there is something about Gusev Yzerman is not too keen on.

It will just be a bummer if Gusev is able to blow up the league. I would have liked to take a flyer on him.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
I would like to have gotten Gusev especially at that price, but given that Yzerman is the one that originally drafted Gusev and then let him go I am suspecting there is something about Gusev Yzerman is not too keen on.

It will just be a bummer if Gusev is able to blow up the league. I would have liked to take a flyer on him.
He’s nyquist with lower upside. New Jersey way overpaid.

Reactions: Retire91

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon

Edit: Quoted wrong post.

Last edited:

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Why would people want to waste assets and cap space on Gusev?

Waste is an interesting choice of word. Not sure there was any waste from New Jersey in this deal. Nor do I think there would have been any coming from Detroit if they had made the deal in parting with the same assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad