Speculation: Red Wings Have Interest in Gusev

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Washington's 2nd and Vili or Givani Smith?

Basically Jensen for Gusev and Bowey

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Bowey could work as a trade piece. Very cheap 3rd pair option for them, when missing right-handed defencemen.

Gusev <> 2nd + Bowey

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

I know he is off the market but I wish we had a dynamic Right handed winger like him, maybe we should kick tires on Gusev

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
NJ.com:
The Devils are close to acquiring Russian forward Nikita Gusev from the Vegas Golden Knights, where New Jersey would send a 2021 second-round pick and a 2020 third-round pick to Vegas, a person with knowledge of the talks told NJ Advance Media.

The deal is hinging on contract talks between the Devils and Gusev, who is a restricted free agent without arbitration rights. If Gusev did not sign a NHL deal this summer, he could return to Russia to play in the KHL again. Vegas currently owns his rights.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2019-7-29_15-9-12.png

Yooper906

Jul 1, 2016
Michigan
Pretty disappointing Yzerman didn’t make this trade. I’ve been disappointed with the lack of moves/opportunities that were out there and we’ve done nothing. I’m starting to worry that Yzerman is falling into the trap, that many others have in other sports. that when they go back home they become much less aggressive and much more conservative to making moves/ decisions because of the pressures to get them right. Trades/signings/moves were much less scrutinized in Tampa bay. I hope he doesn’t lose his best qualities because of hometown pressures

Reactions: Go Wings

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't know.
Gusev is pretty good. But he's a winger.
How many wingers do we want?

Bertuzzi. Mantha. Athanasiou. Already top 6 wingers. (You only need 4).
Zadina. Presumably a top 6 winger.
Svechnikov. Hirose. Rasmussen. Potential top 9 wingers.
Berggren. Potential top 9 winger.
Everybody else - Kivenmaki, Mastrosimone, etc etc.

If there's a KHL defenseman/center out there at that level, let's go get him.

Reactions: decaguard

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I don't know.
Gusev is pretty good. But he's a winger.
How many wingers do we want?

Bertuzzi. Mantha. Athanasiou. Already top 6 wingers. (You only need 4).
Zadina. Presumably a top 6 winger.
Svechnikov. Hirose. Rasmussen. Potential top 9 wingers.
Berggren. Potential top 9 winger.
Everybody else - Kivenmaki, Mastrosimone, etc etc.

If there's a KHL defenseman/center out there at that level, let's go get him.

Well, I think we're far away from a surplus problem here, especially since a lot of these guys only show value in their "potential." Gusev is also unknown at the NHL level, but I think there is a chance he could be better than all the players you listed for the next few seasons. He is also the only one ready to play right now who is right-handed.

It's not a huge loss missing out on the price that was paid, but it's a move I would like to have seen made.

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Well, I think we're far away from a surplus problem here, especially since a lot of these guys only show value in their "potential." Gusev is also unknown at the NHL level, but I think there is a chance he could be better than all the players you listed for the next few seasons. He is also the only one ready to play right now who is right-handed.

It's not a huge loss missing out on the price that was paid, but it's a move I would like to have seen made.

Fair enough.
It is easy to look at the Subban trade, the Gusev trade... and start to wonder if the rebuild needs to take 5-7 years.

Reactions: ShippinItDaily

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
likes already said 19 doesnt want to get a little bit better and maybe make playoffs and lose a high draft pick . also was said weve got enough wingers . 19s doing everything properly imo . people complain about the draft but nobody knows how prospects turn out and its a fact we need dmen and we just got serious about it which im very happy about . forget wingers we need centers or d

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Yzerman wants to see what he has here first. This first season will be for internal evaluation.

Reactions: Ricelund

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
likes already said 19 doesnt want to get a little bit better and maybe make playoffs and lose a high draft pick . also was said weve got enough wingers . 19s doing everything properly imo . people complain about the draft but nobody knows how prospects turn out and its a fact we need dmen and we just got serious about it which im very happy about . forget wingers we need centers or d

The Wings need good players. Plain and simple. If Gusev is a player that can take them from the basement to playoff contention then that deal is an absolute steal and we are in a great place.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
This has been a very disappointing offseason. Not impressed with Yzerman; he's just been a Ken Holland clone thus far. I'm not even asking for a risky trade or a big free agent signing....it would just have been nice to see some more player movement with some low risk type moves. Something like trading a 3rd round pick for a former top draft pick who hasn't lived up to expectations yet.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yzerman hasn't seen his roster play a game yet.

I agree that it's disappointing that we didn't look into Subban, Miller, or Gusev and that we somehow got outbid on Trouba... but I just think Stevie wants to try to build the thing in a deliberate manner. I'd rather they sit out and not have Gusev if next year they're lining up to add someone bigger.

There are reasons why he's not jumping in on these and they aren't centered on him being "passive" or "conservative" now that he's home. He's not trying to jump in and just dump out the pot of stew before he sees what the ingredients are.

I mean, the Wings are lacking elite talent... is Gusev elite? Or is he just very good? Subban was elite, but he also makes a good deal of money. Is Miller or Trouba elite? He wants to build HIS core then look to add guys like this.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This has been a very disappointing offseason. Not impressed with Yzerman; he's just been a Ken Holland clone thus far.

No, he's not. That's a perjorative connotation. Holland wasn't even that bad.

Is there a reason evaluation can't be done based on video from last year, talking to his scouts, etc?

What time frame are you studying from last year to give you an idea? Early, when the D was all hurt? End of the year when we ran out an ECHL roster that somehow ripped off a 10-1 streak?
Yzerman wants to see how the guys play together with everyone closer to healthy and to see what moves need to/can be made.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

I agree that it's disappointing that we didn't look into Subban, Miller, or Gusev and that we somehow got outbid on Trouba... but I just think Stevie wants to try to build the thing in a deliberate manner. I'd rather they sit out and not have Gusev if next year they're lining up to add someone bigger.

There are reasons why he's not jumping in on these and they aren't centered on him being "passive" or "conservative" now that he's home. He's not trying to jump in and just dump out the pot of stew before he sees what the ingredients are.

I mean, the Wings are lacking elite talent... is Gusev elite? Or is he just very good? Subban was elite, but he also makes a good deal of money. Is Miller or Trouba elite? He wants to build HIS core then look to add guys like this.

It's essentially the same roster as last year, no moves have been made. Does video of last years games not exist? Can he not talk to the coaching staff or scouts and see how they feel about certain players?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yzerman's obvious plan is to tank.

We are not really hiding what he thinks. The young players have to take another spectacular step forward to take us away from the bottom. I think he will challenge them to do that and he will say he believes in them competing and what not, all the familiar GM speak with the fact he is evaluating everyone. I don't disagree with it, he committed to it pretty much right out of the gate.

I do hope we can take steps forward or we really have to dig into a much deeper rebuild that is kind of scary. But we could be a New Jersey type of off-season here if we get lucky in the draft with a Byfield, sign a Krug or acquire an expensive D-man ala the Devils. We could make that push, it could be longer spinning out Mantha and AA for more rebuild assets. I am curious which way Yzerman goes with it, he is playing that very close to the vest. But my guess is this time next year we aren't talking about lack of action, I expect he will begin to make moves at the deadline and next summer he isn't going to sit on his hands forever in my opinion.

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
The Wings need good players. Plain and simple. If Gusev is a player that can take them from the basement to playoff contention then that deal is an absolute steal and we are in a great place.
contention to maybe win 1 round while losing a shot at a franchise centerman , no thanx . and wingers pop up on the ufa market every year at zero cost of assets , ide rather have our early second this draft plus the 3rd . and the cap space for a more important player in the future . plus we can sell cap space for draft pix this season .

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon

I think you're likely right on this and it's not a position that one should be too critical of. It makes a lot of sense to try and wait for a window to open before expending assets to try and maybe pry one open.

That said, this would have been a small price to pay to acquire a player that could be very good and still has 3 years left in his 20's. Larkin is only on a high value deal for the next 4.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
No, he's not. That's a perjorative connotation. Holland wasn't even that bad.

What time frame are you studying from last year to give you an idea? Early, when the D was all hurt? End of the year when we ran out an ECHL roster that somehow ripped off a 10-1 streak?
Yzerman wants to see how the guys play together with everyone closer to healthy and to see what moves need to/can be made.

I'm not a Ken Holland hater, I was just expecting something else. Yzerman has done everything Ken Holland would do in an offseason so far....doesn't mean it won't change moving forward.....but that's what he's done so far.

That's a silly way to think of things IMO. GMs should be making moves by being forward thinking, not waiting until the rest of the league can see the exact same thing you do about your players. "Well, now that we've seen everyone healthy and playing together, we now realize that Zadina sucks. Now we can trade him away because we don't like him, hopefully the rest of the league didn't notice too!"

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
What an absolute bummer, especially with that price. I wanted him I’m the team so badly. Instantly would have been one of the best forwards on the team.

I think Yzerman’s plan is just to let the the team sink as much as possible before trying to fix. Probably see Mantha and AA trade for picks too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad