Speculation: Red Wings Have Interest in Gusev

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
No one really knows if Detroit has a defensive log ja at all right now. Kronwall isnt back yet (if at all), they were talking about LTIRetiring Ericsson at the end of last season and they dont know if Green can play with his virus. There isnt a log jam until more of that shakes itself out
Kahn said Green is healthy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Kahn said Green is healthy

When? Last I read they were saying they didnt know a time table for his virus because its not something like a broken bone type of injury. There was talk of him missing at least the start of the season

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Fair enough, but if we assume Daley, Hronek, Dekeyser, Nemeth and Bowey are already on the NHL roster
Then we have those who are injured and uncertainties but will be on NHL roster when healthy in Kronwall, Green, Ericsson
Then we have potential callups in Kaski, Cholowski, Hicketts and Seider

That is a lot of guys who could potentially be fighting for six spots, so it is a little crowded. I would love to give them Hicketts/Saarijarvi instead but I think Bowey would be the more reasonable option to give up.

IIRC, didn't TB often have 8 defenders on the NHL roster rather than 7? That could open up an extra spot in the NHL for someone like Hicketts who they would probably be ok with scratching on a regular basis, unlike someone like Chlowski who they need to play.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I doubt we make this move. Time and time again I hope we do something like this and it never happens.

It's been a disappointing offseason so far to say the least. No indication the Wings were interested in utilizing their cap space and taking advantage of a team with cap problems.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
It's been a disappointing offseason so far to say the least. No indication the Wings were interested in utilizing their cap space and taking advantage of a team with cap problems.
Exactly. We are banking on our prospects eventually being good enough to bring us back to promise but that's not guaranteed. We need to at least add more prospects to increase the chances of some of them being good.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
No. Team isn’t signing a guy to trade him two days later
If Yzerman was interested in Gusev, and Vegas asking price was Nemeth, do you think he would say no?

Nemeth got what he wanted, a big raise. Than he would be traded to a playoff -likely team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Gusev AA Hirose doesn't sound good. Someone should help defense. I can see him 3 rd line Gusev Gleny Rasmussen .

Bert - Larkin - Mantha
Gusev - Nielsen - Athanasiou
Hirose - Filppula - Helm
Svechnikov - Glendening - Akader
(Ehn/DLR)

AHL
Rasmussen-Veleno-Zadina

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
IIRC, didn't TB often have 8 defenders on the NHL roster rather than 7? That could open up an extra spot in the NHL for someone like Hicketts who they would probably be ok with scratching on a regular basis, unlike someone like Chlowski who they need to play.

They used to play many times with 7 guys and carried 8.

I don't know what was the real reason for it.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If Yzerman was interested in Gusev, and Vegas asking price was Nemeth, do you think he would say no?

Nemeth got what he wanted, a big raise. Than he would be traded to a playoff -likely team.

If they wanted Nemeth, they’d have signed Nemeth. Why would they wait and deal Gusev for him now?

Reactions: Snuggs

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
If they wanted Nemeth, they’d have signed Nemeth. Why would they wait and deal Gusev for him now?
It is all about salary cap with Vegas. Nemeth might be attractive now that there is salary retention.

The key to the deal is Clarkson's contract anyway.

Last edited:

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
It is all about salary cap with Vegas. Nemth might be attractive now that there is salary retention.

Aside from sign and trade deals that were worked out beforehand, who was the last player to sign a contract and be dealt before the season started? With retention no less?

I just don't see it. Seems very far fetched.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Aside from sign and trade deals that were worked out beforehand, who was the last player to sign a contract and be dealt before the season started? With retention no less?

I just don't see it. Seems very far fetched.

It is extremely far fetched and wouldn't go over great with the PA in my opinion. While not against the rules the optics are terrible and frankly we also need Nemeth in a top 4 role.

We are also still not sure if tax wide Clarkson is willing to waive at all to come to Detroit. We might land Gusev, but it won't be much like that offer in my opinion.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
It is all about salary cap with Vegas. Nemeth might be attractive now that there is salary retention.

Bro what you are saying is making zero sense. Nemeth isn't getting traded for Gusev.....:help:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Honestly, it doesn't matter if we have a long jam at D and there are injury issues. I don't care if Dylan McIlrath is rostered this year while the youngsters develop. This team is not going to be competative not sure why it would matter. I don't see how that aspect would impact a potential trade even if we sent a roster D their way and had injury issues.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Didn't TB tell him he was minor leaguer?
That's what he says, but that just means they wanted him to play in the AHL to develop. That's what every team does with every prospect, but he felt he was too good to spend any time in the A.

Gusev
Demin

For

Saarijarvi
Bowey
2020 Washington 2nd(conditional on Gusev signing)
I wouldn't trade for him unless he was signed. Otherwise he could head straight back to the K.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't think they meant minor league in the sense of a skill set. For development Yzerman required him he would be starting out in the AHL and Gusev desided to stay and develop in the KHL. After seeing what happened to Drouin I think it was a wise choice. From everything I've heard since before his draft year even he has a dynamic offensive skill set. Its just that no one knows how it would translate over here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad