Speculation: Red Wings Have Interest in Gusev

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I like how I said Vegas wants help on defense - with a disclaimer about value - and people react as if I said Vegas wants a stud blue liner for Gusev.

Yeah, I know they're up against the cap, and probably HAVE to deal him. But if multiple teams are interested, then the odds are pretty good of somebody having a better trade package than the pathetic defensive help that Detroit could offer.

If Stevie Y can convince McCrimmon that Daley and some picks is anything other than a dumpster fire of a deal, then I'll celebrate with the best of them. But I'd be surprised if Vegas doesn't get an offer better than that, even when they're in a bind.

I don't think it comes down to a defender at all.

They need cap space. It doesn't matter if you could get a Jake Muzzin level player back for Gusev, what cap are you going to use on him.

It's like Henkka said. They can't take back good defensive help for Gusev. Fans might want it.. but the team literally cannot do it. So if the Wings were to give them some asset (2nd seems about right and maybe a cheap D so they can get a body there) and take the full Clarkson deal so they don't have to play LTIR games with it anymore, I'm struggling to find another package with some great defensive prospect that will trump it. I mean, Gusev is still unproven, so teams aren't going to (and neither will Detroit) want to trade their Hronek level D men.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would like to see this happen I have wanted to see what Gusev could do in the NHL. If I remember right he was linemates with Kucherov before Kucherov came over and Yzerman drafted him before many people know who he was. I was curious about how he ended up in Vegas. I think Tampa's policy of AHL first caused a lot of hartache for young star players.

He is a very small player but from what I understand has elite skills.

I agree with above we couldn't be giving up defense prospects to make it happen though.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This Igor Eronko tweet looks like the source of this rumor:

This is Eronko's Russian account. Here's his English account.

Twitter translates this to:

Any Russian-speakers care to give a better translation?

I'm all for this kind of gamble.

In other words, this isn't a rumor, it's a guy suggesting Detroit should do it...

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
my point of veiw is dont trade for wingers , ecspecially small wingers , when were already deepest on the wing and in need of centers and dmen . ecspecially after yzerman basically has said aa and ras are wingers . plus small scoring wingers can be found in 2nd/3rd rounds or on ufa market , not to mention weve got bergy and mastro on deck that could make us even deeper

Reactions: Retire91

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
my point of veiw is dont trade for wingers , ecspecially small wingers , when were already deepest on the wing and in need of centers and dmen . ecspecially after yzerman basically has said aa and ras are wingers . plus small scoring wingers can be found in 2nd/3rd rounds or on ufa market , not to mention weve got bergy and mastro on deck that could make us even deeper
You have to see what the price is before you cancel anything.

Reactions: lilidk and Retire91

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I don't see why we wouldn't give him a shot here, assuming the price is reasonable

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Assuming any of this is true, I'm interested. Offering a pick (or two) on a guy like this is low risk, high potential reward.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
They should make this move( Red Wings/Yzerman)

Bring the kid in, pay him, play him on the 2nd line. He's small but we need skilled players, we need a solid 2nd line. Right now, Red Wings are basically a 1 line team with the Bertuzzi/Larkin/Mantha line. Hirose/AA/Gusev can be a legitmate 2nd line threat, also making a legit 3rd with Nielson/Filppula and 4th line with the Wings.

Still searching for a top defender but... piece by piece things can come together. I think all's it might take is taking on the Clarkson contract and a mid-level prospect(Joe Hicketts?)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Taking Clarkson contract would deeply lower the price. I would consider that too if it saves the 2nd.

Gusev + Clarkson cap dump <> Hicketts/Saarijärvi

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
They should make this move( Red Wings/Yzerman)

Bring the kid in, pay him, play him on the 2nd line. He's small but we need skilled players, we need a solid 2nd line. Right now, Red Wings are basically a 1 line team with the Bertuzzi/Larkin/Mantha line. Hirose/AA/Gusev can be a legitmate 2nd line threat, also making a legit 3rd with Nielson/Filppula and 4th line with the Wings.

Still searching for a top defender but... piece by piece things can come together. I think all's it might take is taking on the Clarkson contract and a mid-level prospect(Joe Hicketts?)
Gusev AA Hirose doesn't sound good. Someone should help defense. I can see him 3 rd line Gusev Gleny Rasmussen .

Drake88

Aug 17, 2011
Bowey, 2nd and a 5th

For

Gusev and Clarkson

Detroit clears up defense log jam and Vegas gets cap room and another defensive body to help rebuild their depleted D core.

Wings can easily pay for clarkston and 4 million a year for Gusev. Yzerman also only gave out two year contracts in free agency anyway. So if he doesn’t live up to expectations, it’s not a huge commitment. If he does, he’s a part of our top 6 for years to come.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Bowey, 2nd and a 5th

For

Gusev and Clarkson

Detroit clears up defense log jam and Vegas gets cap room and another defensive body to help rebuild their depleted D core.

Wings can easily pay for clarkston and 4 million a year for Gusev. Yzerman also only gave out two year contracts in free agency anyway. So if he doesn’t live up to expectations, it’s not a huge commitment. If he does, he’s a part of our top 6 for years to come.

No one really knows if Detroit has a defensive log ja at all right now. Kronwall isnt back yet (if at all), they were talking about LTIRetiring Ericsson at the end of last season and they dont know if Green can play with his virus. There isnt a log jam until more of that shakes itself out

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
This thread bringing back memories of Toronto signing Clarkson 7 years 5.250. It was basically their Abby contract in spades.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
No one really knows if Detroit has a defensive log ja at all right now. Kronwall isnt back yet (if at all), they were talking about LTIRetiring Ericsson at the end of last season and they dont know if Green can play with his virus. There isnt a log jam until more of that shakes itself out

I keep hearing about this Ericsson rumor, and I don't understand where it's coming from, a lot of circles of Wings fans are talking about it too like it holds a lot of value.

Ericsson is training this summer, he did a recent interview with a Swedish Newspaper (Norrköpings Tidningar) talking this upcoming season being potentially his last in the NHL. It doesn't sound like he's planning on LTIRetiring at all in the article. I'd link it but the Swedish word for "final" is a word in English that is automatically censored on HFBoards, if you go on the Red Wings subreddit, you can find it.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I keep hearing about this Ericsson rumor, and I don't understand where it's coming from, a lot of circles of Wings fans are talking about it too like it holds a lot of value.

Ericsson is training this summer, he did a recent interview with a Swedish Newspaper (Norrköpings Tidningar) talking this upcoming season being potentially his last in the NHL. It doesn't sound like he's planning on LTIRetiring at all in the article.

Link-
https://www.nt.se/sport/ericsson-borjar-ga-mot-sitt-****-om6184556.aspx

Either Khan or St James had an article at the end of the year last season saying that he and the wings were strongly considering the possibility of him not coming back. He was going to train this off season and see where hes at later in the summer.

Drake88

Aug 17, 2011
Bowey, 2nd and a 5th

For

Gusev and Clarkson

Fair enough, but if we assume Daley, Hronek, Dekeyser, Nemeth and Bowey are already on the NHL roster
Then we have those who are injured and uncertainties but will be on NHL roster when healthy in Kronwall, Green, Ericsson
Then we have potential callups in Kaski, Cholowski, Hicketts and Seider

That is a lot of guys who could potentially be fighting for six spots, so it is a little crowded. I would love to give them Hicketts/Saarijarvi instead but I think Bowey would be the more reasonable option to give up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->