TSN: red wings eventually probably try to trade ryan , glendenning , staal

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I want a similar amount of draft capital coming back this year as last year, two 2nds and 4th. Preference goes to picks in 2022 and 2023 given that the Wings are loaded up for 2021 already. The Wings can retain any amount of salary necessary to make it work, and can take back bad contracts as well. I think LGD, Ryan, Bernier and (I guess) Staal can get there. Anything more would be the cherry on top.

I wouldn't say no to the right offer. Larkin will never be the top line center some thought he'd be.
I could say the same about literally every player on this roster. But I also don't want to punt Larkin (or any of Mantha, Bert or Hronek for the matter) off for cheap, either. I'm fine with hanging onto Larkin as our roster improves, he should be a useful top 6 player for years to come and a good locker room presence, but if some team gets desperate and offers a king's ransom for him I wouldn't bat an eye. Seider has excellent intangibles as well, I really think he will be wearing a letter as early as 2022.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Bobby Ryan is the only one that could be traded. Right now he has very high value with his amazing play and cheap contract. I think at best he returns a first-round-pick and a mid-level prospect. I imagine one of Vegas, Florida, Washington, Colorado or Tampa scoops him up.

But other than that, I think he might stick with the Red Wings considering things have worked out well for him there.
I can't see any team giving up a 1st plus a mid level prospect for a player who has 4 points in his last 15 games after a hot start. I think even saying "at best", the pick is lower than a 1st.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Pretty sure Edmonton has no cap space
Actually we've got quite a bit of flexibility with Klefbom, Kassian and Koekkoek on LTIR. I'm not sure that Helm really makes much of an impact though. I could see Glendening though.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
How has Staal been for the wings? (looking at it from a 3rd pair perspective).

Hes somewhat bad with the puck. Like he makes bad passes and shit sometimes but hes huge, clears the crease, blocks shots and all that kinda old school stuff. Hes definitely not a top 4 dman anymore.

On the other hand, part of the reason rangers fans shit on him so hard was how much he was paid. In Detroit hes asked to do wayyy too much, he gets a lot of ice time. I could see a good team that can play him as the number 6 and let him kill some penalties thinking hes worth a mid round pick for depth come playoff time AND I could see Staal still being solid in that role for someone

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
There are still NHL fans who think that a grinder that offers nothing offensively and gets caved analytically is good because "he hits" and "he tries hard"?

Interesting.

And apparently theres some that think its played on an excel sheet.

Theres a reason teams have been asking about Glendening every deadline for 3 years now. Hes the best faceoff guy in the league, a solid PKer, hits, a good amount of offense for a fourth liner and can play a shut down game that gets other stars off their games when hes asked to do so. A couple years ago he had Crosby throwing a tantrum and shut down for two games, its actually probably the reason youre shitting on him right now to be honest. For you to think a guy I'm sure youve barely watched is this bad, makes me tihnk you dont like him for another reason.

As for his analytics, the entire Detroit team gets caved on analytics, try watching a game and youll see hes exactly what you want in a fourth line center, nerd.

Reactions: LazyT and 13to40

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Glendening is fantastic. Useless on a basement dweller because he's not going to drive offense or get under anyone's skin when the team is down by 5 and have lost 10 straight.
But on a playoff team he can shine. Annoying to play against, great on faceoffs and penalty kill, works harder than anyone you know.

Anyone in the Northern division should be all over Glenny.

I wouldn't mind him over Nosek to give the 4th line a shot in the arm and make them a pain in the ass again.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
The title of this thread is among the most shocking I've seen in the world of hockey.

The surprise factor is off the charts.
Most of the responses have been extremely shocking and super original as well.
Most f***ing flabbergasting insight I've seen in this world of hockey.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hes somewhat bad with the puck. Like he makes bad passes and shit sometimes but hes huge, clears the crease, blocks shots and all that kinda old school stuff. Hes definitely not a top 4 dman anymore.

On the other hand, part of the reason rangers fans shit on him so hard was how much he was paid. In Detroit hes asked to do wayyy too much, he gets a lot of ice time. I could see a good team that can play him as the number 6 and let him kill some penalties thinking hes worth a mid round pick for depth come playoff time AND I could see Staal still being solid in that role for someone

He has been a lot better than Nemeth, who was the guy I thought we would be moving for a mid-round pick. Staal has issues, but he can help the right contender. I also think he takes a little too much heat in the Stecher pairing, like one guy can do no wrong and the other guy gets blamed for everything bad at times. I mean I think he has been a pretty good partner and player for the Wings all things considered. He had a bumpy start to the season but has been okay lately even with all the losing. I am not surprised league scouts still like him, like you said if you know your team and you know how you want to deploy him I can see him providing value to a team.

I think the real land here is Glendening. The other guys are bigger names, but Glendening can really help a team a lot in situational hockey. It's been a long time since we played meaningful playoff games, but I still remember how good he was against Tampa years ago.

I am still hopeful we can talk Ryan and Glendening back in the off-season. I don't have issues with either guy staying, but understand maximizing the future assets as where we are at as a franchise right now.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
He has been a lot better than Nemeth, who was the guy I thought we would be moving for a mid-round pick. Staal has issues, but he can help the right contender. I also think he takes a little too much heat in the Stecher pairing, like one guy can do no wrong and the other guy gets blamed for everything bad at times. I mean I think he has been a pretty good partner and player for the Wings all things considered. He had a bumpy start to the season but has been okay lately even with all the losing. I am not surprised league scouts still like him, like you said if you know your team and you know how you want to deploy him I can see him providing value to a team.

I think the real land here is Glendening. The other guys are bigger names, but Glendening can really help a team a lot in situational hockey. It's been a long time since we played meaningful playoff games, but I still remember how good he was against Tampa years ago.

I am still hopeful we can talk Ryan and Glendening back in the off-season. I don't have issues with either guy staying, but understand maximizing the future assets as where we are at as a franchise right now.
I really hope Stevie is able, through trading Ryan, LGD, Staal and Bernier to get a similar return as last year's TDL. Two seconds and an extra pick, ideally spread out over multiple years. All are solid roleplayers, and Bernier has been an excellent goaltender the past 18 months, and I wouldn't mind having any of them back next year (for the right price).

e: And I'm just sick of people crapping on LGD because he can't score. He should never be deployed in those situations, he's actually really good on the PK and at back-checking, plus effort is never a concern.

roman star

ready to march
Feb 17, 2019
bernier , glendenning , ryan could all be traded fors 3rds then re signed in summer . ecspecially glendenning who i want around for mentorship / culture

ctmagic

Jan 15, 2013
Sup with Larkin being pulled for the weekend with no injury des? On the move?!?!? Minnesota?!?!???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->