TSN: red wings eventually probably try to trade ryan , glendenning , staal

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Bobby Ryan probably brings back a 3rd but I feel like both Staal and Glendening would go unclaimed on waivers.
Glendening is one of those 4th line players who wont help your team but definitely wont hurt your team either that coaches love. I can easily see a team trading a 3rf/4th for depth.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Bobby Ryan probably brings back a 3rd but I feel like both Staal and Glendening would go unclaimed on waivers.
Glendening is fantastic. Useless on a basement dweller because he's not going to drive offense or get under anyone's skin when the team is down by 5 and have lost 10 straight.
But on a playoff team he can shine. Annoying to play against, great on faceoffs and penalty kill, works harder than anyone you know.

Anyone in the Northern division should be all over Glenny.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Glendening gets you a 4th, using - Nick Cousins for a 4th last year - as a comparable. Ryan a 3rd I would think, but I think he stays in DET, he's helped Zadina a lot.

Staal, well, I'd let him go for future considerations AKA nothing of value.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Bernier or Nemeth at 50% retention would probably be of interest to several teams.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
eventually probably try to - great news! :thumbu:
i was presenting the video in a factual manner as it really wasnt anything but speculation by an nhl insider . so being that servalli lives in the nhl media universe so isalways talking to people with contacts his opinion holds water , but he spoke of nothing imminant thusly ' eventually ' . and spoke of no source informing him of talks thusly ' probably ' . i didnt want not use those words because if didnt people would see the title and think some thing was happening . it wasnt much of a video to post but most fans like anything regarding possible trade activity so i posted it

Reactions: The Alien

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Glendening is better than Jankowski. There isn't any aspect Jankowski does even good. Total empty sweater.

Well other than steal a paycheck.

Neat? Jankowski sucks too.

Shows how much you know

Staal is garbage but Glenn sucks? Hahaha

Believe it or not, "working hard" and "being good at faceoffs" doesn't make a player good.

Glendening is basically indistinguishable statistically from some sort of washed up grinder like 2015 Craig Adams.

Glendening is fantastic. Useless on a basement dweller because he's not going to drive offense or get under anyone's skin when the team is down by 5 and have lost 10 straight.
But on a playoff team he can shine. Annoying to play against, great on faceoffs and penalty kill, works harder than anyone you know.

Anyone in the Northern division should be all over Glenny.

And that doesn't negate the fact that he's a massive net negative to his team statistically because of how bad offensively he is. "Working hard" counts for nothing if you're a terrible player.

Teams don't win in the playoffs with guys that get caved as badly as Glendening gets caved analytically.

Reactions: RogerRoger

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
How has Staal been for the wings? (looking at it from a 3rd pair perspective).

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
How has Staal been for the wings? (looking at it from a 3rd pair perspective).

Mentally, he knows the game and you can see him trying to make the right play a majority of the time. His issue is his body can’t keep up with wha the wants to do. He’s shown some offensive flair a couple times which is rare for our anemic offense. I think he’d handle a 3rd pair role well. He needs to be insulated.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Glendening is one of those 4th line players who wont help your team but definitely wont hurt your team either that coaches love. I can easily see a team trading a 3rf/4th for depth.
I strongly disagree, he makes everyone on the ice he's with worse.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Bobby Ryan is the only one that could be traded. Right now he has very high value with his amazing play and cheap contract. I think at best he returns a first-round-pick and a mid-level prospect. I imagine one of Vegas, Florida, Washington, Colorado or Tampa scoops him up.

But other than that, I think he might stick with the Red Wings considering things have worked out well for him there.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Neat? Jankowski sucks too.

Believe it or not, "working hard" and "being good at faceoffs" doesn't make a player good.

Glendening is basically indistinguishable statistically from some sort of washed up grinder like 2015 Craig Adams.

And that doesn't negate the fact that he's a massive net negative to his team statistically because of how bad offensively he is. "Working hard" counts for nothing if you're a terrible player.

Teams don't win in the playoffs with guys that get caved as badly as Glendening gets caved analytically.

But they do. Detroit in one of their last playoff attempts damn near went up 3-1 on Tampa. They had Tampa down on the mat, 2-1 in the series and then were sitting on a lead in game 4 too.

Glendening was draped all over Tyler Johnson. Then, he got hurt in a scrum. To make up for losing him, the Wings put Pavel Datsyuk on Johnson who got absolutely abused in the remainder of game 4 (TyJo had two goals plus in the second half and OT of that game)

Also, Paul Gaustad didn’t do a f***in thing offensively in the 2000s, teams traded a 1st for him.

Luke Glendening is an okay hockey player. You’re generally not looking for scoring from a fourth line in the playoffs.

Think about it this way though... your Pens won the 2009 Cup in game 7 when you lost Crosby in the first period and you got two goals from a bender in Maxime Talbot.

Playoff hockey is when you need the guy that can win you faceoffs and do nothing else .

Reactions: Henkka

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Seems odd that Nemeth never gets mentioned as trade bait. He's nothing special and wouldn't garner much in return but is a solid, cheap, stay at home 6/7 D on a contender

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Someone on their couch predict this?

Ryan and Staal do all they could to get the Wings a top pick in 2021?

LowFive

In Stevie We Trust
Jun 19, 2014
Glendening isn't valuable for his skill or points, it's his defense and faceoffs. There has been a lot of interest in him at the trade deadlines in the past, but the Wings did not want to part with him. I'm not sure how much he would actually return, but deadline buyers will likely be interested. Every team needs a player like him if they don't already have one. You can't win a cup with only goal scorers and skill players.

Back when the wings were a playoff team, he made a HUGE difference when he was playing compared to when he was out injured. Anyone who closely followed the Tampa Bay - Detroit series in the 2014-15 playoffs saw what an impact he can have. Losing him was the turning point in the series in many people's opinions. He was able to stymie Tyler Johnson and and Kucherov when they were a dominant duo and when he got hurt they took over the series. Since then, he went from mediocre at faceoffs to superb so there will be suitors around the league.

Also, saying he makes everyone on the ice worse when he is playing with them is a pretty narrow sighted argument. Put him with goal scorers and he will botch a ton of potential offense but on the 4th line he makes the team defense much better. He is capable of matching up against the best player the opponent has and frees his own teammates up to play against inferior lines. For years the wings would put him over the boards the moment the other team's star hit the ice and he could keep them in check. The wings 1st line could then play against the the 2nd or 3rd line of the opponent making them more effective. So in a sense he makes his own team's top 6 better (as long as he's not playing with them).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->