Proposal: Red Wings - Bruins

Richard Lather

Jan 28, 2020
Hell no. Boston doesn't go any where near that deal. Like the poster above me said, they're better off adding a pick to Moore to move him and not take on more salary.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Hell no. Boston doesn't go any where near that deal. Like the poster above me said, they're better off adding a pick to Moore to move him and not take on more salary.
It’s only a 300k difference over two seasons if 975k is retained on Nielsen’s contract per season.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Contenders can't trade for contracts like that. If someone is more than a mil overpaid you are pretty much screwed.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Detroit adds veteran defenseman and depth winger from Boston for veteran center and college defensive prospect.

:wings Acquires: LD John Moore and RW Zach Senyshyn

For

:bruins Acquires: C Frans Nielsen (Detroit retains 975k per season) and rights to RD Seth Barton
Ugh.

Moore and Senyshyn don't have much value.

Nielsen has negative value. Given that DET gave up a 2nd to take on Staal... here you are getting a decent #6/7 and a young cheap player (who may never be anything for sure)... DET would be adding something BETTER than a 2nd.

So... no go.

Reactions: Richard Lather

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
You realize that real money is one consideration but that cap space is another, right?
Yes, I believe in real money it was a 750k difference. So Boston would pay more for 2 seasons of Nielsen instead of 3 seasons of Moore.

Edit: Also the reason why I added Barton to Boston is due in part because Boston would pay a little more but in a shorter time frame and Barton is a prospect that does have upside where as Senyshyn is in more of a dire straits situation of not ever making Boston’s lineup and Detroit is rebuilding so he might have more of a chance competing for a spot in Detroit’s bottom 6 until some of Detroit’s better prospects are ready.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yes, I believe in real money it was a 750k difference. So Boston would pay more for 2 seasons of Nielsen instead of 3 seasons of Moore.
That wasn't the question.

Do you think a team that wants to be a contender wants to pay 2.75m on the cap for a #6D or 5.25m for a healthy scratch?

I mean, I get that there are teams that would want to add a high cap/low $ player.... but that kind of team is (wait for it) DET.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
That wasn't the question.

Do you think a team that wants to be a contender wants to pay 2.75m on the cap for a #6D or 5.25m for a healthy scratch?

I mean, I get that there are teams that would want to add a high cap/low $ player.... but that kind of team is (wait for it) DET.
If 975k was retained on Nielsen the hit would be 4,275,000 for 2 seasons, no it’s not cheaper then Moore’s hit of 2,750,000 for 3 seasons but Nielsen would be more of a bottom 6 fill in for 2 seasons instead of having Moore in the pressbox for 3 seasons.

Moore could serve a purpose of mentoring Detroit’s prospect defenseman.
There really isn’t a spot for Moore in Boston anymore especially if Chara returns not to mention having younger defenseman Lauzon, Vaakanainen and Zboril to compete for ice time with.

Also Boston is going to be without Marchand and Pastrnak to begin the season so that may move Coyle from 3C to 1RW for a month or two in a condensed schedule. If Kuraly goes to 3C Nielsen would start 4C in Boston.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Ugh.

Moore and Senyshyn don't have much value.

Nielsen has negative value. Given that DET gave up a 2nd to take on Staal... here you are getting a decent #6/7 and a young cheap player (who may never be anything for sure)... DET would be adding something BETTER than a 2nd.

So... no go.
Re: "Given that DET gave up a 2nd to take on Staal"

No, actually we gained a 2nd. Red Wings gave up Future Considerations only.

Detroit Red Wings Acquire:
detroit_red_wings.svg

Marc Staal · $5,700,000
+2021 2nd round pick (NYR)
Sum: $5,700,000 Change: +$5,700,000 ($3.2m real money)

The extra $900k capspace won't make a difference to us, we don't need it, probably won't spend to the cap anyway b/c of C19 & we're overflowing with #5-#8 Dmen anyway. Also overflowing with bottom 6'ers. Moore doesn't have real positive value either @ that cap/term. Zach S., whatever. This is a nothing trade for us...but the B's could use the cap & Frans could rebound on a better team. He was ok til last year.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Re: "Given that DET gave up a 2nd to take on Staal"

No, actually we gained a 2nd. Red Wings gave up Future Considerations only.

Detroit Red Wings Acquire:
detroit_red_wings.svg

Marc Staal · $5,700,000
+2021 2nd round pick (NYR)
Sum: $5,700,000 Change: +$5,700,000 ($3.2m real money)

The extra $900k capspace won't make a difference to us, we don't need it, probably won't spend to the cap anyway b/c of C19 & we're overflowing with #5-#8 Dmen anyway. Also overflowing with bottom 6'ers. Moore doesn't have real positive value either @ that cap/term. Zach S., whatever. This is a nothing trade for us...but the B's could use the cap & Frans could rebound on a better team. He was ok til last year.

That is what I meant. Since NYR had to give up a 2nd to get DET to take Staal, who has 1 year, then DET would have to give up more than a 2nd to give up 2 years of Nielsen AND get back a useful player and a "somewhat" of a prospect.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If 975k was retained on Nielsen the hit would be 4,275,000 for 2 seasons, no it’s not cheaper then Moore’s hit of 2,750,000 for 3 seasons but Nielsen would be more of a bottom 6 fill in for 2 seasons instead of having Moore in the pressbox for 3 seasons.

Moore could serve a purpose of mentoring Detroit’s prospect defenseman.
There really isn’t a spot for Moore in Boston anymore especially if Chara returns not to mention having younger defenseman Lauzon, Vaakanainen and Zboril to compete for ice time with.

Also Boston is going to be without Marchand and Pastrnak to begin the season so that may move Coyle from 3C to 1RW for a month or two in a condensed schedule. If Kuraly goes to 3C Nielsen would start 4C in Boston.

The Bruins can find other 4th line Cs who don't cost 5.25 or 4.25 for 2 more years.

Heck, they can trade Moore for Victor Rask. Cheaper than Nielsen, younger than Nielsen and they wouldn't have to add Senyhsyn to do it.

No offense but it's just a ridiculously bad proposal.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
That is what I meant. Since NYR had to give up a 2nd to get DET to take Staal, who has 1 year, then DET would have to give up more than a 2nd to give up 2 years of Nielsen AND get back a useful player and a "somewhat" of a prospect.
As stated in post #14, this trade does nothing for us & would potential waste draft capital as you're suggesting. Yzerman wouldn't pay it, thank God.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Bruins say no. Zach was just a bad pick.
Moore gives you depth at least even with a less then ideal contract length.
Worst comes to worst just waive him.

Also makes no sense for Detroit

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
As stated in post #14, this trade does nothing for us & would potential waste draft capital as you're suggesting. Yzerman wouldn't pay it, thank God.
Hey I didn't come up with this trade, but while it does "nothing" for DET it does actual stupid harm to BOS.

Reactions: Oddbob

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
but the B's could use the cap & Frans could rebound on a better team. He was ok til last year.
RE B's could use the cap

Nielsen 5.25m
Moore 2.75m

Boston is losing cap space and giving up a guy they'd actually play to get a 36 year old 5+m 4th liner who couldnt play meaningful minutes on a really bad team.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
RE B's could use the cap

Nielsen 5.25m
Moore 2.75m

Boston is losing cap space and giving up a guy they'd actually play to get a 36 year old 5+m 4th liner who couldnt play meaningful minutes on a really bad team.
Hey, I didn't make this trade up. I just rebutted your "include a 2nd or better" b/c Staal netted DET a 2nd. I could care less about the trade as stated 3x now.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Not saying it makes sense for Bruins, but how much more useful is Moore than Nielsen really? The simple exchange of higher cap hit for the lesser term is pretty fair on the surface, the value only moves depending on how little/much one thinks of Nielsen and Moore. That difference is definitely not more than a 2nd, it's not even a 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad