GDT: Red Wings @ Blackhawks 7pm NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Weak deflection. Every team basically does the stupid drop pass.

What Boqvist did at one point wasn't a drop pass, it was a drop hail mary. At one point he threw the puck 30-40 feet behind him and he wasn't under pressure at the time.

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
What Boqvist did at one point wasn't a drop pass, it was a drop hail mary. At one point he threw the puck 30-40 feet behind him and he wasn't under pressure at the time.
yup, I remember the play exactly and it was a risky pass that was sent

I hate that play and wish we would not do it, AB had the ability to gain the zone with puck possession himself on that play...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
yup, I remember the play exactly and it was a risky pass that was sent

I hate that play and wish we would not do it, AB had the ability to gain the zone with puck possession himself on that play...

It’s frustrating because the PP is where he’s suppose to excel and then you see decisions like that and it just frustrates the hell out of you.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
It’s frustrating because the PP is where he’s suppose to excel and then you see decisions like that and it just frustrates the hell out of you.
He did it because that's what he's coached to do. Not saying that any of us agree with it, but that's the designed entry. I don't know what's so hard for you guys to understand.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Hawks were dominant for great stretches. Wings goalie outdueled Subban.

2 mistakes led directly to Wings goals.

Suter going behind net unnecessarily-Bang goal.

Boqvist not tying up his man on the back door tap in, just kind of stood in the neighborhood-Bang goal.

Teachable moments and as poorly as Subban played the Hawks still could have come away with 2 points barring those plays.

Forward we go.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

yup because apparently someone or some people in the organization are preaching that 88 needs to bring the puck up the ice on the PP...

Can you do it from time to time cause it is effective on occasion? Sure...but there should absolutely not be so much f***ing focus on doing that...its a terrible and unecessary play more often than not... a player has the puck in a good position to gain the zone with possession but f*** that lets pass it back to someone who is in a piss poor position and also has nobody behind them should they miss the pass or f*** up...

its so obvious that my 9 year old saw it last night while watching and pointed it out...

there is an old saying that I think fits here: "you can't fix stupid" and I mean that whoever is mandating this to happen is well in a word "Stupid", not sure who that is but I would imagine that the direction comes from JC but not certain

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Boqvist, a 20 year old second year d-man, is deferring a PP zone entry to a future HOFer under the direction of his coaches. Here's a guess- that drop back entry is practiced. Constantly.

Yes, it's frustrating. But unless he wants to be removed from the PP, Boqvist will continue to follow the coaches directives.

Last edited:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Boqvist, a 20 year old second year d-man, is deferring a PP zone entry to a future HOFer under the direction of his coaches. Here's a guess- that drop back entry is practiced. Constantly.

Yes, it's frustrating. But unless he wants to be removed from the PP, Boqvist will continue to follow the coaches directives.

understood but the people that are coaching him to do so should have an *** that goes along with that....

something like: its not mandatory to do so, if you think you can gain the zone with possession and have the PP set up then do so, also if the drop back pass is a risky or very long pass don't do it and proceed with another play...

its not that difficult really

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
There were zero expectations for this season, we were predicted to be a bottom feeder with only the hope we could see developments and promise in young guys. What we have accomplished so far has been nothing short of shocking. The moaning people do in here regarding team performance and players is ridiculous, this is what we were expecting most games before the season began.

The Hawks have overachieved significantly so far. There will be games like last night, there might be many more.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
He did it because that's what he's coached to do. Not saying that any of us agree with it, but that's the designed entry. I don't know what's so hard for you guys to understand.

I doubt very much that the coaching staff approved of that particular play. It just isn't drawn up to do anything risky. Besides, Boqvist had already left at least one checker behind - I imagine the ops welcomed his decision to allow their PK to get back on track.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

I was referring to a specific play, not the drop pass and PP as a whole.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I doubt very much that the coaching staff approved of that particular play. It just isn't drawn up to do anything risky. Besides, Boqvist had already left at least one checker behind - I imagine the ops welcomed his decision to allow their PK to get back on track.

precisely

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
It is coaching, and bad coaching at that. Our push em back entry is usually done incorrectly as it seems that the drop pass is always done before we actually "push em back." It seems that as soon as the skater bringing the puck up meets the defender the drop pass occurs. The defenders are never made to skate backwards. Our coaches should recognize that and get the execution fixed.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
understood but the people that are coaching him to do so should have an *** that goes along with that....

something like: its not mandatory to do so, if you think you can gain the zone with possession and have the PP set up then do so, also if the drop back pass is a risky or very long pass don't do it and proceed with another play...

its not that difficult really
Ahh, yeah it is, since the next two options are Carpenter and Soderberg as Kane and DeBrincat are at the red line. Please draw up that play for me.

Last edited:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Ahh, yeah it is, since the next two options are Carpenter and Soderberg as Kane and DeBrincat are at the red line. Please draw that play up for me.

dump the puck in behind the net and go win a board battle, it is 5 vs 4 you know...and no I am not saying that you should dump it in ALL the time but at times it is the better play. Defaulting to the drop back pass all the time is nothing more than stupidity on the coaching staffs part and laziness on the players part...

There is a time and place for three scenarios and all three of them should be utilized when best to do so:

1) Dump the puck in and go get it
2) Drop back pass
3) Gain the zone on your own if you can do so while retaining possession

it is simple

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
dump the puck in behind the net and go win a board battle, it is 5 vs 4 you know...and no I am not saying that you should dump it in ALL the time but at times it is the better play. Defaulting to the drop back pass all the time is nothing more than stupidity on the coaching staffs part and laziness on the players part...

Absolutely.

It irks me to no end that many of today's players have no idea how to EFFECTIVELY dump the puck. You know, so that it stays where you dumped it instead of going to the goaltender or end up being a ring around and hoping that some unnamed player will win YOUR battle.

Drives me crazy.

Reactions: featherhawk

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
What coach out there is going to get more out of this team than JC has this year?

And I ask that as a guy who was pleading for JC to be fired last year.
Honestly. I’m not sure who is available

I liked gallant because of what he did in Vegas with cast offs and young guys

for whatever reason, the jcs have been bad defensively. They had a nice stretch (against week teams) but seem to be regressing with the d of late. 5 ga in 3 of last 4 games.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Absolutely.

It irks me to no end that many of today's players have no idea how to EFFECTIVELY dump the puck. You know, so that it stays where you dumped it instead of going to the goaltender or end up being a ring around and hoping that some unnamed player will win YOUR battle.

Drives me crazy.

It does seem to be a lost art with the current generation of players... Then again, a lot of nuance is completely lost on youth hockey coaches, these days. Which is where you learn skills like that.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
It does seem to be a lost art with the current generation of players... Then again, a lot of nuance is completely lost on youth hockey coaches, these days. Which is where you learn skills like that.

Doesn't anybody-Players or Coaches- ever wonder WHY they are doing something? What is the desired outcome? Anybody??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad