Jan 14 - Det @ Chi
Jan 16 - Dal @ Det
Jan 20 - Car @ Det
Jan 22 - Det @ NJ
Jan 23 - Phi @ Det
Jan 25 - Chi @ Det
Jan 31 - SJ @ Det

8 home games vs 3 road games?
For a team that has played 20 home games and 15 road games?

There's a good chance Detroit looks pretty good in January.
I can see them going 5-2-4
Detroit would have 51 points in 49 games and still be reasonably close to the playoffs.

What scares me is that if Blashill smartens up even just a little (Detroit is 4-0-1 when Athanasiou plays 18 minutes, for example), this team might stick around long enough to make Holland go for the playoffs.

Detroit has one home game left in January - against SJ.
At best, Detroit finishes the month with 48 points.
Blashill and the gang blew it - and we should be thankful.
They had an EASY month and dropped the ball. Had they been sitting with 50 points right now, Holland might still be dreaming of the playoffs.
Because even coming off the break, Detroit is home to SJ and then visit two teams who look as lost or more lost in Carolina and Florida.
Things don't really start getting serious for Detroit until Feb. 6 - and to be completely honest - February isn't that awful.
It's March - after the trade deadline - when Detroit is in a world of hurt.
@WPG
@MIN
@BOS
VSVeg
@CBJ
@SJS
@LAK
@ANA
@COL
VSPHI
VSWSH
@TOR
@mtl
VSPIT
@BUF
VSOTT
------
Seriously, I could see Detroit going winless in March until the Habs game March 26.
---
Imagine if Detroit had found away to get close by the end of this month, they might have stayed in the picture until the deadline and then gotten murdered in March.

As it is, if Holland trades away pieces now, like Green and Glendening and Howard, I could see Detroit easily falling into the bottom three.

March will be a feast for #TankNation

Reactions: theYman

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
They had an EASY month and dropped the ball. Had they been sitting with 50 points right now, Holland might still be dreaming of the playoffs.
Because even coming off the break, Detroit is home to SJ and then visit two teams who look as lost or more lost in Carolina and Florida.
Things don't really start getting serious for Detroit until Feb. 6 - and to be completely honest - February isn't that awful.
@WPG
@MIN
@BOS
VSVeg
@CBJ
@SJS
@LAK
@ANA
@COL
VSPHI
VSWSH
@TOR
@mtl
VSPIT
@BUF
VSOTT
------
Seriously, I could see Detroit going winless in March until the Habs game March 26.
---
Imagine if Detroit had found away to get close by the end of this month, they might have stayed in the picture until the deadline and then gotten murdered in March.

As it is, if Holland trades away pieces now, like Green and Glendening and Howard, I could see Detroit easily falling into the bottom three.

Yup before the season even started. I looked at March and thought feast or famine time.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
@WPG
@MIN
@BOS
VSVeg
@CBJ
@SJS
@LAK
@ANA
@COL
VSPHI
VSWSH
@TOR
@mtl
VSPIT
@BUF
VSOTT
------
---

I guarantee Glenny does not get traded

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
So, I had Detroit for as many as 51 points at the end of January.
They underperformed, despite an advantageous schedule, and finished with 48.
Instead of being 4 points out, they were seven points out.

And so now we have February.
Again - Detroit really avoids the teeth of this schedule until March.

February is fairly balanced. 6 Home games. 8 Road games.

@Carolina
@florida
Boston
@NYI
@Washington
Anaheim
@Tampa
@Nashville
Toronto
Nashville
Buffalo
Carolina
@NYR
@STL

I have Detroit down for 13 points in 14 games.
So 61 points by the end of February.

More importantly, perhaps, 61 points on the morning of Feb. 26 - the date of the NHL trade deadline.

Considering the Flyers and Hurricanes each have 56 points right now, I think it's fair to assume Detroit has to kick ass between now and Feb. 26 to climb into contention before the deadline.

Carolina and the Flyers are tied for the last playoff spot with the Flyers ahead on regulation wins.
If these teams keep up their current pace, they'll have around 69 points at the deadline.

To hit that number, Detroit would need 21 points by Feb. 26.
That equates to 10-2-1.

Reactions: Konnan511

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
So, I had Detroit for as many as 51 points at the end of January.
They underperformed, despite an advantageous schedule, and finished with 48.
Instead of being 4 points out, they were seven points out.

And so now we have February.
Again - Detroit really avoids the teeth of this schedule until March.

February is fairly balanced. 6 Home games. 8 Road games.

@Carolina
@florida
Boston
@NYI
@Washington
Anaheim
@Tampa
@Nashville
Toronto
Nashville
Buffalo
Carolina
@NYR
@STL

I have Detroit down for 13 points in 14 games.
So 61 points by the end of February.

More importantly, perhaps, 61 points on the morning of Feb. 26 - the date of the NHL trade deadline.

Considering the Flyers and Hurricanes each have 56 points right now, I think it's fair to assume Detroit has to kick ass between now and Feb. 26 to climb into contention before the deadline.

Carolina and the Flyers are tied for the last playoff spot with the Flyers ahead on regulation wins.
If these teams keep up their current pace, they'll have around 69 points at the deadline.

To hit that number, Detroit would need 21 points by Feb. 26.
That equates to 10-2-1.

Thanks for the calculation. This is an almost impossible task for the team, and the schedule gets tougher in march. The rangers are a bit in shambles, but aside that game i can see us winning 3 or 4 of those february contests at most

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
After we trade Green that month of March is going to be ruthless. Green is so important to our team and without him I can't imagine us beating those teams. If we trade any other piece of importance we could lose every game. The tank is happening.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Thanks for the calculation. This is an almost impossible task for the team, and the schedule gets tougher in march. The rangers are a bit in shambles, but aside that game i can see us winning 3 or 4 of those february contests at most
Yeah, that February schedule looks like 4-5 wins total, so I'd guess maybe 12 points for the month, including the loser points. But hopefully the trade candidates perform well enough to fetch a decent return.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
@WPG
@MIN
@BOS
VSVeg
@CBJ
@SJS
@LAK
@ANA
@COL
VSPHI
VSWSH
@TOR
@mtl
VSPIT
@BUF
VSOTT
------
---

Lots of words of wisdom in here, friends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->