Red Wings 28th Ranked Power Play and 25th Ranked Penalty Kill

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Any team ever make the playoffs being in the bottom five of both of these categories? They've also given up the most short-handed goals this season and haven't scored a power play goal on the road yet.

I think losing Homstrom had a greater effect than people though. And yeah, Lidstrom, too.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
PK sucks because Helm is injured, Cleary plays on it and far too many players struggle with getting the puck out of the zone. Doesn't help that Jimmy doesn't make enough great saves either.

PP sucks because Mule and Bert are injured. Cleary plays on it. Everyone in the league knows what the Wings are going to do. Too many low percentage shots, too many passes and missed nets. As well as D-men not keeping the puck in. Oh and Brunner on the point is Pejorative Slured.

Both units get beat to pucks and lose battles. Both have poor decision making and a lack of execution. Both units have Cleary on them an ungodly amount.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
PK sucks because Helm is injured, Cleary plays on it and far too many players struggle with getting the puck out of the zone. Doesn't help that Jimmy doesn't make enough great saves either.

PP sucks because Mule and Bert are injured. Cleary plays on it. Everyone in the league knows what the Wings are going to do. Too many low percentage shots, too many passes and missed nets. As well as D-men not keeping the puck in. Oh and Brunner on the point is Pejorative Slured.

Both units get beat to pucks and lose battles. Both have poor decision making and a lack of execution. Both units have Cleary on them an ungodly amount.

About sums it up.

With no healthy bodies, use White more on the blueline and put Brunner on half boards. Maybe split Dats and Z so the 2nd unit would get some plays going for change.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Any team ever make the playoffs being in the bottom five of both of these categories? They've also given up the most short-handed goals this season and haven't scored a power play goal on the road yet.

I think losing Homstrom had a greater effect than people though. And yeah, Lidstrom, too.

Imo, both vere important, but Lidström was the bigger impact. Many other players have looked great net-front guys when Lidström was delivering the puck from the point. Like Dan Cleary.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
PK is at 75%. Yes, 1 in 4 PPs is a goal against... aka 1 PP against per game in today's NHL with the way penalties are given out like free candy.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Losing Lidstrom is one of the major reasons they are poor on special teams. He was one of the best PPQB you could ask for and solid on the PK. Then you lose Stuart on the PK and Holmstrom on the PP.

They just need to keep it simple. They're always looking for the nice pass or the slick play or the perfect shot. Look at the most successful PP in the league, they are effective and always put pressure on the opponent's PK. And of course, they actually win the faceoff to gain possession of the puck in the first place.

As for the PK, it's about focus. Firstly, stay out of the box as much as possible. If they do go on the PK, just get bodies in front of the goaltender and again, keep it simple when clearing the zone.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Our PP is still set up for Lidstrom and Holmstrom. I hope Renney has some good ideas and I'd sure like to see them soon.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Our PP/PK have been bad for years, it's not health. It's the stale strategy that is so predictable and wastes the talents of players like Datsyuk, Filppula, and Zetterberg.

Our PP was trash this year even with Mule and Bert healthy.

Blaming this on injuries is just another way to ignore the obvious truth. The team is not good enough, healthy or otherwise. The team refuses to adapt to changes and will be left behind.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Last time our PK was good, was at season 2010-11. Then Paul MacLean and Brad McCrimmon was still there. Since we changed these assistant coaches, it has gone worse and worse.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Last time our PK was good, was at season 2010-11. Then Paul MacLean and Brad McCrimmon was still there. Since we changed these assistant coaches, it has gone worse and worse.

Our PK wasn't very good in '10-'11 it was below average The last time our team was top 10 in PK was in '09-'10 and that was when the team was at their peak.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
Our PP/PK have been bad for years, it's not health. It's the stale strategy that is so predictable and wastes the talents of players like Datsyuk, Filppula, and Zetterberg.

Our PP was trash this year even with Mule and Bert healthy.

Blaming this on injuries is just another way to ignore the obvious truth. The team is not good enough, healthy or otherwise. The team refuses to adapt to changes and will be left behind.

whats the problem. i mean the pp and sh stats are reflecting our quality of the roster pretty accurate. normaly you run your most skilled player out there. the problem is we have only datsyuk and zetterberg as skilled player. maybe kronwall part time skilled player. the rest are fringe role player.
so you get the results you have asked for. and its not babcocks problem that he has to ice players like cleary and abdelkader. the rest isnt better anyway. so its a home made problem.

or do you think that it is a coincidence that the top pp % teams have really skilled goal scorer and skilled playmaker for the pp lineup. its pretty obvious to me that the player on the ice are more deciding to success then the coach at the practice time.
its sad to watch our pp lineup. i mean, its not a powerplay we just have one more useless man on the ice. dats and zetta are the only player in our team what should be on a pp lineup.

since 2003 we had quality players only leaving.
we got lang and hossa for a short time. but the rest was more or less player who can't run a pp. if you are only draining quality out of a team you better watch for declining stats.

same for the pk lineup. the top 6 pk teams in the league has the best defenseman in their line up. its that easy. why should i pay for a chara or a karlsson when i could get the same results out of quincey??? so there is a reason for these 7 mil player.
i can still remember the ppl posting around lidstrom, rafalski or hossa are overpaid. it was quite funny. now you have your lower paid player like you wanted to have. and now you have to deal with the results.

RedWingsNow*

I am surprised by the bad PP.
Homer or Lidstrom.. whatever. There's enough talent to have a dangerous PP.
The PP is bad coaching.

The PK? You lose Lidstrom and Stuart... and your answer is Kronwall, Ericsson, Quincey and Lashoff --- probably the worst PK d crew in the league.

Helm hasn't hurt the PK too much. Helm's PK ability is overrated, IMO.

RedWingsNow*

Our PP needs Datsyuk and Z to be more aggressive about taking the puck to the net and breaking the box.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->