Salary Cap: Red Wings 2018-19 Cap discussion

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Here's the situation:

1. Zetterberg - 6.1M (until 2021)
2. Larkin - 5.5M RFA estimate
3. Nielsen - 5.25M (until 2022)
4. Nyquist - 4.75M (until 2019) UFA after season.
5. Mantha - 4.5M RFA estimate
6. Abdelkader - 4.25M (until 2023)
7. Darren Helm - 3.85M (until 2020)
8. Athanasiou - 2.5M RFA estimate
9. Glendening - 1.8M (until 2021)
10. Bertuzzi - 1.0M RFA estimate
11. Martin Frk - 1.0M RFA estimate
12. Rasmussen, 925k ELC
13. Svechnikov, 863k ELC
14. Witkowski, 750k (until 2019) UFA after season

1. DeKeyser - 5.0M (until 2022)
2. Kronwall - 4.75M (until 2019)
3. Ericsson - 4.25M (until 2020)
4. Daley - 3.167M (until 2020)
5. Ouellet - 1.25M (until 2019)
6. Jensen - 812k (until 2019)
7. Hronek? - 728k ELC

1. Howard - 5.292M (until 2019)
2. Coreau - 800k - UFA estimate

ELC bonus overage - 650k (Larkin estimate, could be less)
Weiss buyout - 1.667M
Franzen - 3.954M

Total 75.143M
Estimated 2018-19 cap: 80.0M
Cap Space: 4.857M

If pushing against the cap and using LTIR room through Franzen LTIR:
Maximum possible LTIR cap space: 8.811M

That's the starting point. Some basic numbers. Estimates can differ, but I think the big picture falls quite near of those estimations.

There's 5.5M room to sign a defenceman, which would mean sending Hronek to GR. Cap space + Hronek space = 5.585M.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lampedampe

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Wouldn't shock me if Holland doesn't deal Nyquist, Glendening and Ouellet at the draft could move Ouellet for futures only if need be. Holland did mention that he could be pretty busy at the draft maybe AA as well if the right deal presents it'sself.

“If it’s not this time period, and it’s not at the draft, then the reality is, it’s probably a year from now,” Holland said. “My mindset isn’t so much about 2017-18 and ’18-’19. It’s about ’19-’20 and trying to acquire assets that I’m hoping can impact this team down the road.

“If nothing’s there that makes sense, and all I’m doing is helping somebody else out, and we’re not getting what I don’t think is fair value for our players, we’ll go back to the summer and we’ll start all over again.

“There will be more teams in the mix.”

Red Wings might do their biggest deals later

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Its hard for me to say what I want to see, because for me it all depends on what happens with the draft/UFA. In the dream scenario where we landed Dahlin in the draft AND we sign JT, I may hang on to a few vets. If we say pick 5th and don't land JT, then I ship out as many vets as possible.

Lets say the dream scenario happens, I would like to see the following:

- Trade Helm, Daley, E, XO, Glendening, (I would love to trade Nielsen, but I think and this is speculation, that any chance of landing JT would require keeping Nielsen).

Roll with a lineup of:

JT-Larkin-Zetterberg-Turgeon down the middle
Bertuzzi, Nyquist, Mantha, Abby, Frk, Svech, Rasmussen, Nielsen on Wing

The on D I would like to see in our top 6:

Dahlin
Faulk (leaning towards making the AA trade)
DD
Hronek
Chowolski (if he's ready)
Hicketts

Kronwall (ideally is on LTIR)

And our bench guys can be Jensen, Witowski, and whomever.

Full disclosure, I did not crunch numbers. This may be impossible cap wise.

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
upload_2018-3-25_16-37-23.png

It did work, and I was able to sign Raanta as the starter and have 4mil left over in cap space. (though to trade some of those contracts I'm sure some cap would have to be retained.

This would be my dream scenario.

Last edited:

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Trading away Tatar and Mrazek really did wonders for our cap situation. I would prefer to have them over DeKeyser and Nielsen though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Trading away Tatar and Mrazek really did wonders for our cap situation. I would prefer to have them over DeKeyser and Nielsen though.

I think all of our bad contracts can be shipped out at some time, But everything won't happen in 1 or 2 seasons. The process will last pretty much 3-4 years and the contracts will be shipped out on their last years. Guy like DeKeyser could go earlier, though. He has value.

Main point is, when everybody is dreaming about shipping all bad contracts out immediately, the problem is that we don't have masses of prospects to take all the duties, we have to draft them first. That's what takes time.

Reactions: Pavels Dog

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I think all of our bad contracts can be shipped out at some time, But everything won't happen in 1 or 2 seasons. The process will last pretty much 3-4 years and the contracts will be shipped out on their last years. Guy like DeKeyser could go earlier, though. He has value.

Main point is, when everybody is dreaming about shipping all bad contracts out immediately, the problem is that we don't have masses of prospects to take all the duties, we have to draft them first. That's what takes time.
I guess one way to look at the contracts is they prevent Holland from adding new bandaids since he won't have the cap space to do so. I agree, we need to draft, draft, draft.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
it is mine burgling why so many of you wonted Glendening and Nielson out , both good defensively , both main PK . Nyquist only player with dissent skills and you wonting him gone. AA well worth double from what he is getting paid . He likes to skate , just give him pass , ha i forget , we luck of playmakers . I wish Mantha has same drive like AA. Did i mansion Jensen , the only D on the team who can skate

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
it is mine burgling why so many of you wonted Glendening and Nielson out , both good defensively , both main PK . Nyquist only player with dissent skills and you wonting him gone. AA well worth double from what he is getting paid . He likes to skate , just give him pass , ha i forget , we luck of playmakers . I wish Mantha has same drive like AA. Did i mansion Jensen , the only D on the team who can skate

Not trying to be an ass, but you really should use spellcheck lol.

People don't necessarily want Glendening and Nielsen out because of their skill set, its more a combination of cap-hit, age, and current value.
Nyquist for example is a person I am not pushing to move, because I think his value will be much higher at the trade deadline.

Glendening is a great 4C, but 1.8 mil for a 4C on a re-building team is just not really necessary. A guy like him with his cap-hit is better off on a team like the Leafs.
Nielsen just has way to high of a cap-hit, and since we are loaded with mid tier centers, we really don't need him.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

AA isn't worth double what he's getting. His shooting percentage has come back to Earth, and he's very much the 1 dimensional player that a lot of people suspected him to be. He won't be worth nearly 3 million till he can either put together a good purely offensive season, or decides he's going to play every game on both sides of the puck instead of taking games off at a time. Right now he's worth 2-2.2 million.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddbob

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I'll play.

We have 5 RFA forwards to sign. Larkin, Mantha, AA, Bert, Frk. I'm gonna call that 15 million. Not sure the individual amounts or the years. For this exercise it doesn't matter.

- I'm gonna start Ras and Cholowski in GR. I think that's the best play. Let them have success there before coming up. Half season at the most.
- Turgeon and Hronek start on the wings.
- I'm sending Ouellet to Montreal for a 4th because I send all my excess french players to montreal for a 4th.
- I'm resigning Green for $5 x 3.
- I'm signing a back up goalie for 2 million. For now, I'll call him.... Mrazek.

Full team. 4 mil in cap space. (Franzen)

This team / year can be considered status quo. Turgeon replaces Booth. Hronek replaces Ouellet. That's about it. Another short season, another high pick.

This will be the last year of the Swedes. Kronwall is gone after this year. Nyquist is traded at the deadline. Ericsson will have 1 year remaining but will be dealt at the deadline or the off season. (Ericsson @ 4.25 for 1 year is a trade-able asset) And most importantly... Zetterberg will leave the game after this year. He will likely hit 1000 points and have suffered through 3 years of non playoff seasons. He will be going into his 2 low money seasons and I think it just makes sense to call it a career.

So, looking ahead to the big year which is 19-20.

Including the activity from last year...
- 15 mil for the 5 RFA's
- Turgeon and Hronek
- the back up goalie

And the full time promotions of Ras and Cholo...

You have 30 million in cap space for 2 forwards, 2 defensemen and 1 goalie.

This, my doom and gloom friends, is the start of the bounce back.

Edit -> I'd make a call to Tavares before inking Green though. You can't not call a #1C if he's available.

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I'll play.

We have 5 RFA forwards to sign. Larkin, Mantha, AA, Bert, Frk. I'm gonna call that 15 million. Not sure the individual amounts or the years. For this exercise it doesn't matter.

- I'm gonna start Ras and Cholowski in GR. I think that's the best play. Let them have success there before coming up. Half season at the most.
- Turgeon and Hronek start on the wings.
- I'm sending Ouellet to Montreal for a 4th because I send all my excess french players to montreal for a 4th.
- I'm resigning Green for $5 x 3.
- I'm signing a back up goalie for 2 million. For now, I'll call him.... Mrazek.

Full team. 4 mil in cap space. (Franzen)

This team / year can be considered status quo. Turgeon replaces Booth. Hronek replaces Ouellet. That's about it. Another short season, another high pick.

This will be the last year of the Swedes. Kronwall is gone after this year. Nyquist is traded at the deadline. Ericsson will have 1 year remaining but will be dealt at the deadline or the off season. (Ericsson @ 4.25 for 1 year is a trade-able asset) And most importantly... Zetterberg will leave the game after this year. He will likely hit 1000 points and have suffered through 3 years of non playoff seasons. He will be going into his 2 low money seasons and I think it just makes sense to call it a career.

So, looking ahead to the big year which is 19-20.

Including the activity from last year...
- 15 mil for the 5 RFA's
- Turgeon and Hronek
- the back up goalie

And the full time promotions of Ras and Cholo...

You have 30 million in cap space for 2 forwards, 2 defensemen and 1 goalie.

This, my doom and gloom friends, is the start of the bounce back.

I don't think Ras can start in GR because of his age. He has to play in the OHL or the NHL.

Reactions: NickH8

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
View attachment 107471

It did work, and I was able to sign Raanta as the starter and have 4mil left over in cap space. (though to trade some of those contracts I'm sure some cap would have to be retained.

This would be my dream scenario.

It’s amazing how much britner looks when you completely erase two of our worst contracts in the short term and somehow get Justin Faulk.

No one is taking Helm without retainment, and Kronwall more than likely plays, unfortunately

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Helm ain't going anywhere. Same goes for Gator. Nobody is trading for two 30+ 25-30 point forwards without the Wings giving up assets to take those albatross contracts.

Our only way out is if they find God and retire early like Rafi did.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Helm ain't going anywhere. Same goes for Gator. Nobody is trading for two 30+ 25-30 point forwards without the Wings giving up assets to take those albatross contracts.

Our only way out is if they find God and retire early like Rafi did.

Helm also has NTC, and he becomes tradeable at 2020 deadline at earliest.

Abdelkader contract will never be any problem. Cap goes higher and the relative figure goes smaller.

Helm contract is a lot worse but perfect for tanking. :D

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
It’s amazing how much britner looks when you completely erase two of our worst contracts in the short term and somehow get Justin Faulk.

No one is taking Helm without retainment, and Kronwall more than likely plays, unfortunately

I explained that, I said I would retain salary on Helm/E (probably 1mil each), and trade AA for Faulk which was a rumored deal.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Helm also has NTC, and he becomes tradeable at 2020 deadline at earliest.

Abdelkader contract will never be any problem. Cap goes higher and the relative figure goes smaller.

Helm contract is a lot worse but perfect for tanking. :D

Unless the cap jumps to 100 million dollars, Gator's cap hit does not suck any less. Paying 4.25 million a year for a 30ish point bottom six forward that is already 31 for five more years will always be a problem.

How is Helm's contract worse? Three years left at 3.85 million vs. 4.25 million with five years remaining. What's crazy is that Gator's contract is so bad it almost makes Helm's contract look good.

Reactions: odin1981

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad