Prospect Info: Red Wings 2017 Development Camp, July 7-11

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Having both Saarijärvi and Hronek under Nelson's coaching should get us pretty excited for the upcoming season.

In the Athletic interview, Nelson said that they will go back to a 2 d-man PP thanks to the D talent available next season. Also mentioned Hicketts as a PP option.

It seems like Ehn always impresses in development camp, I really think his skill set fits the smaller ice better. On the bigger ice he's forced to carry the puck more which isn't optimal, he's better at quick and simple puck movement. His combo of skating, two-way play and size could really turn into a good asset within the next few years. Maybe something like a bigger Helm with less top-end speed?

I have to think that being effective on the power play will make/break Hicketts' NHL career. Maybe it's unfair but, given his size, he needs to produce offense.

And a slightly bigger/slower Helm would be a pretty darn good player, and someone who would fit well with where this club seems to be going with guys who can shove the puck into the boards and just eat up the play and grind things down. I'm hoping he's a little smarter in the O-zone, though. Helm chases a lot, relying on his speed/effort to make up for a weaker read on what's happening.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Made the drive down to Traverse City to see the scrimmage. A couple points:

Disapointed when I didn't see Rasumussen on the ice. Couldn't find out why

Hronek was getting chippy behind the play, with multiple players on the opposing team heading back to their bench yelling at him helmetless. Spent a lot of time deep in the offensive zone. (Which is due to the 4 on 4 format). Not much impression other than that.

Cholowski - is smooth and his outlet passes are good, also deep in the o zone but got caught up a few times.

G. Smith was flailing all over the ice. Hands weren't working well. Not as much physical play as last years camp

Sarijaarvi was offensively advanced as advertised. Crafty passes and good shot selection.

Lindstrom and Kotkansalo - did what they were supposed to. Didn't notice them that much other than when Lindstrom took a heavy hit against the end boards. Got up with no noticeable discomfort.

Setkov - did the right thing, did the right thing, did the right thing, then when a good opportunity would open up at the end of all these "goods" would **** it up.

Sadowy was really invovled in the offense but had nothing to show for it.

He did look small compared to all the 6 plus footers out there. Skating seemed good - managed to get to the right place and also avoid contact. Speed seemed good two.

Thanks a lot for the updates loojay.
And I laughed at your description of Smith. 'Flailing' is an accurate way to describe his skating from what I've seen too.

Glad Hronek and Saarijarvi are looking good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->