Red line reports mock draft

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
This is a really bad mock if you are looking at Vancouver.

Completely loses credibility after that one. Really? a 29pt enforcer who's nothing like Lucic at the 29th pick?

I think for this to make sense - and it doesn't, IMO, because i think Kessy is still around when we make our 2nd round pick - you at least have to compare Kessy to where Lucic was when he was drafted.

Kessy's draft year stats:
RS
65gp: 10g-14a-24pts
PO
14gp: 3g-3a-6pts

Lucic's draft year stats:
RS
62gp: 9g-10a-19pts
PO
18gp: 3g-4a-7pts

Both guys played like wrecking balls and fought often.

I like Kessy, and it wouldn't shock me to see him taken earlier than most people think he'll go, but I wouldn't want to burn a 1st round pick on him. Taking him with our second round pick I'd be ok with, but lets use the first on something that can help us next year (trade), or on a player with more projectable upside.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Even though my team got a guy I really want...this was a pretty crappy mock. Weird fall for Couturier, Klefbom and Brodin too high, Miller too high, Puempel falls out of the 1st round, Jensen a bit high...and who in the f#@$ is Kale Kessy? I've never heard that name before.

Something about your criticism doesn't ring true....

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
WHAT THE HELL?!

this mock draft is slightly different than the other 40 i've read! this is outrageous! i know absolutely nothing about 90% of these prospects but i know this mock draft is terrible because it is different.
haha

Nailed it

the tribute

May 10, 2011
haha

Nailed it

Not, actually.... I know a decent amount about these prospects (watching them throughout the year). let alone the knowledge of what type of player they are what game they play and their statistics (available to everyone) it's not rocket science.

this mock draft isn't just "different" the choices made on some picks are just completely wrong and ill-educated

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Woodlief, like every other scout in the world, has his hits and his misses. Lots of GMs will agree with what he sees and disagree with what he sees. However, what he sees is a lot of hockey, and he and his group of scouts are is a PROFESSIONAL scouting service. Nobody can pick 30/30 on a mock draft, and just because you disagree with a lot of what he says doesn't make Woodlief "uneducated".

I enjoyed the mock, as I enjoy most of what Redline publishes...because it's a different perspective and flavor than what a lot of other outlets provide.

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
Not, actually.... I know a decent amount about these prospects (watching them throughout the year). let alone the knowledge of what type of player they are what game they play and their statistics (available to everyone) it's not rocket science.

this mock draft isn't just "different" the choices made on some picks are just completely wrong and ill-educated

How many of these prospects have you seen live? I'd bet bottom dollar it is nowhere near as many as Woodlief has seen, and thats not taking into consideration the scouts he has working for him.

Also, hate to break it to you but statistics don't actually tell you that much about a prospect. There have been plenty of prospects who put up great numbers in juniors who never even came close to getting an NHL job.

Oddly enough, ISS also has David Musil going 19th overall and a bunch of other surprising picks in their mock draft, so I guess they are less educated than you, right? Nice to know you know so much more about the draft than two of the top scouting services around.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Some here seem to forget that lots of people/mocks thought Mcilrath was going somewhere in the 1st round. Just not as high as #10, I seem to remember a lot of talk that Boston wanted him with their own 1st (15th IIRC).

The real problem with Kessy isn't that he's in the 1st (fair argument to call that a problem as well), the problem is who he has picking Kessy. I dare anyone to study Gillis' track record and still think he would take Kessy (or anyone like him) this high. If he had Burke taking him at #30 not quite so farfetched imo. Aren't GM tendencies part of mock drafts?

I think a lot here are doing Kessy a disservice, he's more than just a goon no matter what his stats and CSB ranking tell you. Part of the problem i think is your comparing him to the wrong guy, he doesn't remind me much of Lucic (though there are similarities) imo the best comparable would be Kyle Clifford.
Knowing what we know now where would Clifford go in this draft? Not #29 to Gillis/Van that's for sure. Burke/Tor at #30? Maybe.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
AS a CHI fan -I'd be very upset if we got scuppered by MTL picking Miller just 1 pick before we got to pick him--our biggest NEED --- PLUS there is no way in HELL MTL lets OLEKESIAK get bypassed given that hockeysfuture.com has exposed their terrible D-man depth situation of their pipeline ...18 contracted minor pros who are forwards to 4 d-men...and only 1 d-man (TINORDI) in their TOP PROSPECTS file of draftees not yet in monor pro? THEY would be insane to pass on OLEKESIAK given all the biuz on him...

SECONDLY--NO WAY CHI takes a goalie--any goalie at #18..

THIRDLY--everyone knows MILLER is going to CHI --you see the "JT 1& JT2" marketing campaign is all waiting ad ready...ROCKY pictures all the merchandise $$$ he can milk from that bonanza.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

I'd love to see you give an example of one of their "uneducated" picks (whatever that means in this context).

the tribute

May 10, 2011
How many of these prospects have you seen live? I'd bet bottom dollar it is nowhere near as many as Woodlief has seen, and thats not taking into consideration the scouts he has working for him.

Also, hate to break it to you but statistics don't actually tell you that much about a prospect. There have been plenty of prospects who put up great numbers in juniors who never even came close to getting an NHL job.

Oddly enough, ISS also has David Musil going 19th overall and a bunch of other surprising picks in their mock draft, so I guess they are less educated than you, right? Nice to know you know so much more about the draft than two of the top scouting services around.

neither here nor there, that's not the point I was making. What I was mentioning were picks like couturier at 10.... ottawa likes him and is on their top 5 list (RNH,Lando,larsson,huberdeau and couturier) and we can safely assume that one of those might not even be there at 6 and if one does ottawa is taking them.

then the goalie choice, defence choice for ottawa, none of those picks look like they had any sort of educated background. ottawa is NOT drafting a defencemen in the first round and that's as obvious as monkeys flinging their poo.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
ill be the contrarian here.

this is a actually pretty spot on as mocks go. kyle knows is stuff and the rlr is usually pretty legit.

from his picks you can tell the guys he really likes [rocco, huberdeau and klefbom] and maybe the ones he doesnt like so much [couturier, biggs and saad].

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I already did... several times

And in the example just above you qualified your comment with "looks like", and doesn't really show how their opinion is uneducated.

Just curious if you did a mock draft last year, and if so, did you have Cam Fowler in the top 10?

the tribute

May 10, 2011
And in the example just above you qualified your comment with "looks like", and doesn't really show how their opinion is uneducated.

Just curious if you did a mock draft last year, and if so, did you have Cam Fowler in the top 10?

I had fowler actually going AT 10

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Woodlief got 5 first round picks right and had Musil going to EDM at 19 (went there at 31). Granted, it was 5 out of the top 6 he got right...

He did better than any other media mock I saw.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Woodlief got 5 first round picks right and had Musil going to EDM at 19 (went there at 31). Granted, it was 5 out of the top 6 he got right...

He did better than any other media mock I saw.

I'm 'the media' technically, and I got 7 right! ;)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Heh, good work!

You really did well on some non-top 10 picks. Siemens to COL, Klefbom to EDM, Biggs to TOR (although not in the original spot since they traded up)...you even had Musil as EDM's 2nd option. And actually, you got 8 right if you count Biggs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad