Red line reports mock draft

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
Last year, the Rangers picked oversized, under-skilled defender McIlrath from Saskatchewan at #10 presumably because of his size and toughness. Might as well go as far to the extreme in the other direction and pick an undersized, skilled forward from California.

Liker McIlrath last year. At #30 he would be a solid pick. But at #10 or #15 it's just too high risk.

How's that? I don't see how Grimaldi is a particularly risky pick. Nobody has anything but praise for any aspect of his game apart from his size, and there doesn't seem to me to be much to suggest that size alone is either much of a guarantee of success nor in itself something that keeps a player out of the league. It may limit his durability or his ceiling, or cause him to require a longer transitional period to the pros, but I really don't think he's a risky pick to become a player of some significance. If it's safeness I want, I take Grimaldi over McIlrath ten times out of ten.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
Taking a 2nd round talent at #19 while 8th-15th overall talents are on the board is just plain dumb.

Well, who decreed with divine authority that Musil is a "second round talent"? You may think so, but he's been on a lot of agencies' and scouts' top 30 lists all year and probably still is. Relative to where he seems to be pegged, 19 is not a reach at all. Every year, there are players thought likely to go in the second or third who go in the first. What is just plain dumb is confusing our own preferences for some sort of objective measure.

And for the record, I don't think Musil at 19 seems like a wise choice either. But that's not the point here.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Well, who decreed with divine authority that Musil is a "second round talent"? You may think so, but he's been on a lot of agencies' and scouts' top 30 lists all year and probably still is. Relative to where he seems to be pegged, 19 is not a reach at all. Every year, there are players thought likely to go in the second or third who go in the first. What is just plain dumb is confusing our own preferences for some sort of objective measure.

And for the record, I don't think Musil at 19 seems like a wise choice either. But that's not the point here.

He's been on a lot of agencies' and scouts' top 30 lists all year, but he's also been consistently falling down(and off) those lists all year.

Taking a player who fits an organizational redundancy while there's much better players available is dumb. It doesn't matter how you want to twist it.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Grimaldi at 15 is ridiculous. Slats would get eaten alive for drafting a 5'6" forward with some of the big bodies still on the board.
Weird. Dean Millard just posted his mock draft, and he also had Grimaldi going to the Rangers

couturier falling that low and the oilers burning the 19th on Musil? There's no way the oilers pick musil over McNeill, Oleksiak, Morrow, Siemens, or, hell, any of those other picks after 19.
My thoughts exactly. Musil isnt even rated in the top 30 NA skaters

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
How's that? I don't see how Grimaldi is a particularly risky pick. Nobody has anything but praise for any aspect of his game apart from his size, and there doesn't seem to me to be much to suggest that size alone is either much of a guarantee of success nor in itself something that keeps a player out of the league. It may limit his durability or his ceiling, or cause him to require a longer transitional period to the pros, but I really don't think he's a risky pick to become a player of some significance. If it's safeness I want, I take Grimaldi over McIlrath ten times out of ten.

Well Grimaldi over McIlrath is a given, but i think at 15 there are better players available.

At #10 last year, there were A LOT of better players available.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This guy is on crack. Makes Craig Button mock draft look like a Scotty Bowman mock draft.

Mr Lahey*

you built this up as way worse than it was. there are a few questionable moves but its certainly not as awful as...this has to be a joke makes it sound.

...if someone mocked a draft last year that had McIlrath going at 10 while fowler and gormley fell to 12 and 13 respectively id think you would have called that a joke as well.

In fairness, I did think that was a joke.

Ron Barr

Doing it to Death
Dec 23, 2009
bdddddddet
Why does almost every mock draft have Buffalo drafting a defenseman? Do they know Buffalo has 80 bazillion prospects on defense?

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
He's been on a lot of agencies' and scouts' top 30 lists all year, but he's also been consistently falling down(and off) those lists all year.

Taking a player who fits an organizational redundancy while there's much better players available is dumb. It doesn't matter how you want to twist it.

Yeah. It's just that the point is that it is quite possible that there are teams around 20 who don't think there are much better players than Musil available. That's what you don't seem to get: The order of quality among the prospects is not etched in stone but is a matter of evaluation, and it is virtually certain that there are teams whose conslusions in that regard wildly contradict your own. If someone drafts Musil in the first round, then that will quite probably be because they consider him the best player available.

the tribute

May 10, 2011
Why does almost every mock draft have Buffalo drafting a defenseman? Do they know Buffalo has 80 bazillion prospects on defense?

that was one of my main points about this being an awful mock draft. you have guys that are not risers (unlike skinner last year) moving up Mc ilrath was just.... a wtf move. when was the last time anyone saw 5-6 slated (solidly) players go after 10 or 11 for that matter. you don't problem was that the majority of the teams in the top 10 last season needed forwards.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yeah. It's just that the point is that it is quite possible that there are teams around 20 who don't think there are much better players than Musil available. That's what you don't seem to get: The order of quality among the prospects is not etched in stone but is a matter of evaluation, and it is virtually certain that there are teams whose conslusions in that regard wildly contradict your own. If someone drafts Musil in the first round, then that will quite probably be because they consider him the best player available.

Which has what to do with the Oilers?

There's about 30 better prospects for the Oilers still on the board at that point.

He isn't the BPA at 19th and he doesn't come close to filling an organizational need.

4thliner*

I HIGHLY doubt Ottawa taking a defenceman in the 1st round unless it is Adam Larsson falling to 6th. Anything short of lunacy like that and they don't take a dman with picks 6, 21, or 35 for that matter.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Most of it is fairly realistic, but Honzik and Kessy just completely ruin it. YES, teams do go off the board, but it's because they think that's the value for that player and because they think he won't be available with their next pick (or they have no one ranked higher). I can guarantee that the 'Nucks don't have Kessy as their top ranked prospect when Puempel (and a bunch of other guys) are available and I can certainly guarantee he won't go anytime before our 2nd round pick, so why would we not get both a highly ranked guy and Kessy later on.

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
This is a really bad mock if you are looking at Vancouver.

Completely loses credibility after that one. Really? a 29pt enforcer who's nothing like Lucic at the 29th pick?

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
This guy is on crack. Makes Craig Button mock draft look like a Scotty Bowman mock draft.

Nice to hear you know so much more about prospects than Kyle Woodlief. I'm assuming you have personally done even more extensive scouting of this years draft crop than Woodlief, consulted with plenty of NHL scouts and aren't just basing your opinion on things you have read online or videos you have watched on youtube.

TSN needs to hire you in order to bring some respectability to their draft coverage.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Weird mock. At times i just rolled down the list thinking a lot of the picks were fairly reasonable, maybe wonderng a bit when a few guys would come up...and then WHAM totally bizarre off the wall pick.

Couturier at 10? Musil at 19 with Oleksia/Siemens/etc still on the board? And then Honzik and Kessy? If Gillis picked Kessy in the 1st round, there'd by another round of riots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad