Red line reports mock draft

GernBlanston

May 20, 2011
Smyrna, GA
I don't think Grimaldi at 15 is that much of a stretch. I don't know enough about the Rangers' needs or draft tendencies to know whether he's a realistic pick for them at 15, but still... People here are calling him an early second rounder. If he's still on the board at 33 for the Panthers, I'm gonna cry the happy tears of many small girls. I've heard more than one analyst say, essentially, that if he had the size of RNH, he'd probably go top 3. Hype? Maybe... but the kid's obviously got some major game.

skroob**

15. NY Rangers — Rocco Grimaldi. .... Instant fan favourite, particularly
with the goombahs

Yeah, thats not derogatory or anything.

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
anybody else think this a totally laughable mock draft? I mean ottawa picking another PMD/offensive defenseman at 21? couturier at 10? lollol

You are really overreacting. I dislike Woodlief as much as anybody but this mock isn't nearly as bad as a lot of the other ones like TSN, THN and all the ones on NHL.com.

The fact is, every mock draft will look laughable after the draft takes place. There are always plenty of surprise picks that nobody predicted. I mean, if somebody had a mock draft last year that had Fowler and Gormley both falling out of the top 10 and getting drafted behing ****ing Dylan McIlrath I'm sure people like you would have been calling that laughable too.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
It's not impossible to imagine a GM falling in love with Kessy and picking him ahead of his ranking, but in the 1st? Geez. Even the 2nd for Kessy is a stretch.

RLR is always good to get the tongues wagging.

NWAvs

Jan 20, 2009
Seattle
Why does everyone think Larsson willl be passed by Colorado? Larsson is someone Pracey said we had a lot of interest in. Also, BPA. If NJ ends up with Larsson I will cry

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I don't think Grimaldi at 15 is that much of a stretch. I don't know enough about the Rangers' needs or draft tendencies to know whether he's a realistic pick for them at 15, but still... People here are calling him an early second rounder. If he's still on the board at 33 for the Panthers, I'm gonna cry the happy tears of many small girls. I've heard more than one analyst say, essentially, that if he had the size of RNH, he'd probably go top 3. Hype? Maybe... but the kid's obviously got some major game.

Last year, the Rangers picked oversized, under-skilled defender McIlrath from Saskatchewan at #10 presumably because of his size and toughness. Might as well go as far to the extreme in the other direction and pick an undersized, skilled forward from California.

Liker McIlrath last year. At #30 he would be a solid pick. But at #10 or #15 it's just too high risk.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Yeah, thats not derogatory or anything.

goomba-710524.jpg

Is not amused.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
18. Chicago — John Gibson. They may have just locked goalie Corey Crawford up long-term, but check the rest of their system. Cristobal Huet's salary will remain in exile, and they have nothing in the prospect pipeline in the nets.

Crawford, Salak in Chicago
Mac Caruth and Kent Simpson

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't see anything wrong with it. Looks pretty realistic to me.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Why does everyone think Larsson willl be passed by Colorado? Larsson is someone Pracey said we had a lot of interest in. Also, BPA. If NJ ends up with Larsson I will cry

I think Larsson is slightly overrated on these boards and not that far ahead of Hub or Lando in terms of potential, if at all. I could even see Conte do something a little crazy like pick Dougie or SC before Larsson. (I wouldn't be too happy.) He is also a little a too similar to EJ. I mean it sounds nice to have to big 240 pound 6 ft 4 guys that eat up big minutes on the top line (Larsson isn't quite there but he looks like he could be.), but it seems to be a little redundant. You don't see cases of that in the NHL. Plus the 2012 looks to be deep with defenders so even if one of the top teams expect to move up to 10-15 in draft rankings, they could still pick up a stud for the D next year and O this year.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
18. Chicago — John Gibson. They may have just locked goalie Corey Crawford up long-term, but check the rest of their system. Cristobal Huet's salary will remain in exile, and they have nothing in the prospect pipeline in the nets.

Crawford, Salak in Chicago
Mac Caruth and Kent Simpson

Was about to comment on how stupid this writter is

Salak gives us another young netminder on NHL roster and Carruth and Simpson (2010 2nd rounder) showed solid progress in WHL last year

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I would be pissed if the Canucks wasted a first round pick on an enforcer. Kessy could be had in round 4 if he's drafted at all.

dougiebrown

Oct 22, 2007
New Jersey
"Are you Deaf??? There's NO WAY Cam Fowler drops out of the Top 10!!!!"

- 99.9% of HFBoards commenters exactly one year ago today.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
As an Oiler fan I am against taking anyone with bloodlines connected to the Oilers like Musil, Lowe or Simpson. In Musil's case, no way I would take him anywhere in the 1st 2 rounds.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This is just for entertainment.

Still, with my team in possession of two seconds, wouldn't mind Redline's version being similar to what really happens.

jablueblue

Jul 22, 2009
A few reaches, but it happens every year in the actual draft.. The experts are never actually right, I don't see this as bad at all.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
So, the Oilers take Musil(about 30 spots too early) when Bartschi, Morrow, Siemens, McNeill, Oleksiak, etc are still on the board.

To say that's dumb is a complete understatement.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
I don't think this is a ridiculous mock draft at all. There are quite a few unconventional choices, but nothing that isn't within the bounds of reasonable probability, judging from other sources.

Couturier, by the way, is not 10th, but 8th. This would be surprisingly low, but hardly a bombshell. Grimaldi at 15 would not be a surprise at all - there are those who like him as a top ten selection. McKenzie has him at 23, which, given what he says about how wildly scattered the lists are once you're past number 9, means that there were some among the ten scouts polled who almost certainly had him considerably higher than that.

Kessy, and maybe Gibson, is a big reach, but other than that it's a fairly interesting mock, in my opinion.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
So, the Oilers take Musil(about 30 spots too early) when Bartschi, Morrow, Siemens, McNeill, Oleksiak, etc are still on the board.

To say that's dumb is a complete understatement.

To say that's a massive overstatement is a complete understatement. What's so shocking about Musil at 19? It's a little bit higher than many rankings suggest, but not a great deal. Wouldn't rank as much of a surprise.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
I would be pissed if the Canucks wasted a first round pick on an enforcer. Kessy could be had in round 4 if he's drafted at all.

I would be willing to bet a lot of money that Kessy doesn't go undrafted....and I'd be shocked if he's still on the board when we pick in the third round.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
To say that's a massive overstatement is a complete understatement. What's so shocking about Musil at 19? It's a little bit higher than many rankings suggest, but not a great deal. Wouldn't rank as much of a surprise.

Taking a 2nd round talent at #19 while 8th-15th overall talents are on the board is just plain dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->