Red Dead Redemption 2 (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Which is fine, but then the sinking realization of "man, this campaign could have been better without all the support going towards online" sets in. It kinda happened to GTA V given how lame a lot of the side stuff was.

I fully expect this game t be nickel and dimed to death.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Which is fine, but then the sinking realization of "man, this campaign could have been better without all the support going towards online" sets in. It kinda happened to GTA V given how lame a lot of the side stuff was.

I fully expect this game t be nickel and dimed to death.

Given everything Take Two has said on the subject, I expect you are correct.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I expect gamers will start to re-think their image of Rockstar after this non-sense.

GTA V online is already a huge moneygrab and somehow not talked about much in negative sense (imagine EA running this...). Gamers have this trust to companies that make games and Rockstar has (had?) one of the best reputations despite GTA V Online. With RDR2 going the same route and maybe even worse, I think that reputation will start to crumble.

Rockstar is becoming EA or worse and they don't give a shit as their product will still sell.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I expect gamers will start to re-think their image of Rockstar after this non-sense.

GTA V online is already a huge moneygrab and somehow not talked about much in negative sense (imagine EA running this...). Gamers have this trust to companies that make games and Rockstar has (had?) one of the best reputations despite GTA V Online. With RDR2 going the same route and maybe even worse, I think that reputation will start to crumble.

Rockstar is becoming EA or worse and they don't give a **** as their product will still sell.

While I agree they are due a backlash, I think the key difference right now between Rockstar's games and what EA is doing is that Rockstar is still putting out an apparently fantastic game (at least on the single player side).

EA's recent problem has been microtransactions at the expense of good games.

I think if RDR2's online is plagued by questionable monetization but their single player experience is still fantastic, plenty of people (most likely myself included) will still give it a thumbs up because they will ignore most of what's happening on the other side.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Rockstar is becoming EA or worse and they don't give a **** as their product will still sell.

My image of Rockstar was ruined after they butchered Max Payne 3. Turned a noir, edgy 3rd person shooter into generic cover shooter garbage.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
While I agree they are due a backlash, I think the key difference right now between Rockstar's games and what EA is doing is that Rockstar is still putting out an apparently fantastic game (at least on the single player side).

EA's recent problem has been microtransactions at the expense of good games.

I think if RDR2's online is plagued by questionable monetization but their single player experience is still fantastic, plenty of people (most likely myself included) will still give it a thumbs up because they will ignore most of what's happening on the other side.
My main problem here is you need to buy a "Special Edition" to get all single-player content they've created. I know and agree the single-player will be a great story <- this is exactly the "trust" I mentioned before.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The Red Dead Redemption 2: Special Edition, Ultimate Edition and Collector’s Box - Rockstar Games

Locks story based content behind a preorder paywall, gives you bonuses and extra cash,
Collectors box is 130$ Canadian and doesnt come with the game or anything worth over 5$

Rockstar sucks lol.

If I read that correctly, there are three quests/missions you get in the "Special Edition": a bank robbery, clearing out a gang camp and something about a horse.

The bank robbery sounds cool and if it's the only bank robbery in the game then that's a problem. I just can't imagine that we won't have a bank robbery in the main game.

So I will get the cheapest version and be happy. I don't get the anger towards these: what essentially happens is they create some cookie-cutter missions and get people to pay for them.

Just buy the regular version? Why should extra content not be sold since there is a market for it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
L.A. Noire was an even bigger disappointment

A lot of it was good - the soundtrack and atmosphere, some of the storylines.

The ending was bizarre and the lack of choice in your own personal life was a missed opportunity.

I could never really figure out the "read the suspect's faces" mini-game.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
A lot of it was good - the soundtrack and atmosphere, some of the storylines.

The ending was bizarre and the lack of choice in your own personal life was a missed opportunity.

I could never really figure out the "read the suspect's faces" mini-game.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
It also didn't help that during the homicide cases no matter how good your investigative skills were or how well you read people's faces you were WRONG! That was enough to turn me off the game.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
LA Noire wasn't really a Rockstar game though. It was made by an Australian studio that Rockstar eventually imposed outside leadership on due to production problems. Very different from the rest of their games.

They're pushing online already so that worries me. You can be sure that there is no single player DLC coming (though RDR didn't really have anything major either).

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I wanted to love L.A. Noire so badly...seemed like a game right up my alley. Alas, there is very little about that game that I don't find major issues with, especially the ending.

But yes, it's a Rockstar published game, not a game from the studios we associate with a standard Rockstar game.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Was just coming here to post that....i'm literally amazed, this game is looking like a masterpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->