Red Bull

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Maybe there's something to this caffeine thing. Had a cup of really strong black coffee at 9pm. Game is at 10pm. I feel good and must have had at least 7-8 shots on goal. Around 11:30 pm tied 3-3 with 2 min. to go I get the game winner. My first goal of the season (only my second game) and first game winner of my career( 2 1/2 seasons)

The coffee is here to stay:)

I'd be willing to bet most of the anti-red bull people are either very young or drinking the crap with sugar in it. Listen to others but nothing is more important than finding what works for you.

Jimmy Carter

Avs/Leafs fan
Jul 24, 2010
Western NY
People have died from drinking like 4 and then playing sports... So while 1 before a game won't kill you, you gotta think it can't be doing you any good. If you're sleepy before a game, well, you probably should have had a nap or gone to bed earlier the night before. If you were going to try it just for extra energy, grab a gatorade instead. Gives you a bunch of carbs to burn off so you won't get as tired out.

Subnordi

Jul 17, 2011
New Brunswick
A guy on my team always had 2 monsters before a game, he got really sick and passed out one day, so I'm guessing drinks like Monsters/Red Bull aren't that great of a sports drink

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
People have died from drinking like 4 and then playing sports... So while 1 before a game won't kill you, you gotta think it can't be doing you any good. If you're sleepy before a game, well, you probably should have had a nap or gone to bed earlier the night before. If you were going to try it just for extra energy, grab a gatorade instead. Gives you a bunch of carbs to burn off so you won't get as tired out.

I agree, but we don't live in a perfect world. People do play hockey after working manual jobs in 100 degree heat all day and simply don't have time for a nap. Not so bad in your teens and twenties but in your late 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's a cup or two of coffee can help SOME people and the negative side effects go from needing to drink a little extra water to nothing. Up to 400mg of caffeine a day has never shown to have any negative consequence on the human body. That's up to about 3 cups/day.

Coffee is natural and there have been numerous studies on it's effects. The makeup and amounts of the substances found in energy drinks are another story. Use at your own risk.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
A guy on my team always had 2 monsters before a game, he got really sick and passed out one day, so I'm guessing drinks like Monsters/Red Bull aren't that great of a sports drink

www.energyfiend.com Based on my weight of 195 lbs it would take 166 cans to kill me. I drink an 8oz sugar free red bull on my drive to the rink which contains 80 mg of caffeine. A cup of coffee is about 90. A chocolate bar is about 30.

Last edited:

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I only use a Red Bull before a game on very rare occasions where I'm very tired from a lack of sleep for whatever reason, usually work or school related. I do feel like it keeps me a little more alert, although it could have just been a placebo effect. I've only done it about four times.

I'll usually crank it down as I'm driving to the rink, making sure to finish it before I get into the dressing room. That usually means that I've finished the drink about 15-20 minutes before hitting the ice. By the time the game starts, I feel like I'm fully tuned in.

poonakie

Mar 13, 2011
i drink half of one of those big ones before the game, then around the 2nd intermission i drink the rest

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa
I had an energy drink once before a game when I was like 11 and I couldn't even finish the game. After two periods my heart was pounding and I was all jittery, so I told my coach I wasn't feeling very good. I sat on the bench for the duration of the 3rd. Ever since then, I haven't touched one. People on my teams over the years regularly bought Monsters and what not, and I have no idea how they do it. I cut caffeine out of my life completely last year.

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
Yeah, I've been trying them out lately before sports and love them. I wouldn't drink the sugar filled versions, I'd rather eat a meal with carbs about 1-2 hours before any activity, then about 15-30 minutes before, I drink an energy drink/drink coffee/take an ephedrine+caffeine stack.

The problem with stimulants is either being too sensitive to them (like a lot of the girls posting in this thread) or taking so many that you're not sensitive to them anymore. So, now, I just take them before a "big" day.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Maybe there's something to this caffeine thing. Had a cup of really strong black coffee at 9pm. Game is at 10pm. I feel good and must have had at least 7-8 shots on goal. Around 11:30 pm tied 3-3 with 2 min. to go I get the game winner. My first goal of the season (only my second game) and first game winner of my career( 2 1/2 seasons)

The coffee is here to stay:)

I found having a coffee on the way to my games (wether it was Sunday AM beer league or later night games during the week) that I would suffer a huge crash maybe 1/2 way thru my games. I have stayed away from coffee since (although will have one after on the way home at times). Yes - I still can get to sleep after I get home.

Red Bull - I occassionaly will have a small sugar free can on the way to the rink. Does it help me - maybe, it sure doesn't hinder me.

I think once I get myself into a league again (hopefully soon - major hockey withdrawal going on :( ), I might stick to a gatorade on the way to the rink, or just water.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
If you feel like having one, go ahead but don't go thinking it will help your game in any shape or form. If you play even at a remotely competitive level, spend your time worrying about proper nutrition and rest rather than some miracle energy drinks and if you play in a beer league... do whatever the **** you please :laugh:

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Like was said before, find out what works for you. "Huge Crash" after coffee? Have never heard of that nor have I experienced it.

What works for me:

Pregame meal 3-4 hrs before made up largely of carbs, small amount of protein, low to no fat.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate for the next 3 hrs.

1hr. before 1-2 cups coffee or small energy drink(If needed). Usually only needed for late games after working all day.

I've never "crashed", been dehydrated, or felt overly jittery.

Newsflash: If you're lucky the majority of most players careers will be in a beer/men's league. Think about it. After college/juniors so 20-22yrs old to 50's or even 60's. Sooner or later everyone who thinks they're somebody ends up there:laugh:

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Rarely do I drink the stuff. But when I do, I sip a bit before the game, then pour 1/2 a can into my gatorade/poweraide bottle. Spreading it out and mixed in with normal sports drink it's not as hard on the stomach and not as bad of a crash.

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
If you feel like having one, go ahead but don't go thinking it will help your game in any shape or form. If you play even at a remotely competitive level, spend your time worrying about proper nutrition and rest rather than some miracle energy drinks and if you play in a beer league... do whatever the **** you please :laugh:

How could a stimulant not help your game, if it works [the effect]? That's the only point of taking a stimulant.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
No point in continually debating once youve stated your view. Just like with any substance in life, it affects every person differently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->