Records that are unbreakable

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

LePoche69 said:
...and for the record, what about the career shutouts by Terry Sawchuck? 103 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man! Roy end his career with 66!!!

Hasek has 63 he only needs 41 this season to beat the record :sarcasm:

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mat said:
lemieux would have passed it if it wasn't for his countless injuries and 3 year retirement

so i wouldn't say its untouchable, its just gonna be a while before someone gets it

I doubt that. Mario's best season wouldn't even rank in Gretzky's top-5. Mario only temporarily took the points-per-game lead because he missed so many games in his later years.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
waseem said:
Bruins playoffs : I think it was 25 consecutive playoffs participation.

That will be real hard with 30 teams and a payroll cap

St. Louis hasn't missed the playoffs since 1978-79...so they're currently at 24...

Had the lockout never happened and they played last season with Macinnis, Pronger, and Demitra, I think they would have done it. This year though, it's gonna be awfull tough for them IMO

Last edited:

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Big Phil said:
Darryl Sittler's 10 points in a game. Even in the most offensive era in the 80s Gretzky never did this with the high flying Oilers. Its hard to imagine this ever touched. Adam Deadmarsh a few years back had 5 points midway through the game and that's what he ended up with. Sittler did this on an average Leaf team in 1976.

I believe that Sheldon Souray did score 5 or 6 points against Pittsburgh last season !!

Canadarocks

Sep 16, 2005
If the league stays the same I could see Montreal's five Stanley Cups in a row record lasting for a long time, maybe forever. With free agency, the entry draft and other factors, dynasties seem to be becoming a thing of the past. Same with Henri Richard's eleven Stanley Cups. Nobody even comes close nowdays.

Bruins77forLife

Aug 14, 2005
Montreal
Bobby Orr with +128 in a single regular season. Nowadays players win the +/- race with +30/+35. Bobby Orr had 4 times more. Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The shutouts record is an interesting case. 10 or 15 years ago it looked totally unbreakable. Sawchuk had 103, and HHOF goaltenders of the 80s and early 90s like Billy Smith and Grant Fuhr were finishing their careers with 20-25, not even 1/4 the way to Sawchuk's mark.

But the game changes, and right now it looks like Brodeur will probably take it. If he didn't lose 8-10 shutouts to the lockout this past year, his odds would look overwhelming. He's only 28 SO back, and has probably 5 good years left.

This is why it's really premature to say that any offensive records from the '80s will last forever. The game will change again at some point, guaranteed.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
No record is unbreakable. Everyone said that Gordie Howe's records where unbreakable and then came along Wayne Gretzky.

MightyMite

Feb 4, 2005
North of North
My bet is the record to stand longer than all individual records is the winning percentage for regular season of .875 of the 29-30 Bruins. A quick look at recent and not so recent dynasties shows no team has even come close.
I believe that record may be the closest thing to unbreakable. Honourable mention to Lemieux's five in five ways (has it even been done in Juniors, College, lower level pro?)

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
PACaptain said:
I know its a one game record, but Lemieux's 5 goals 5 ways seems like it will stand forever. Think of all the different scenarios that have to take place for someone to achieve this. 5 goals in a game is rare enough at this point, probably only happens a handful of times in a season. The game has to be close enough where the opposing team pulls their goalie, so that means at least 7 combined goals before the empty net. The player who scores the five goals must get and convert a penalty shot, which are rare in the NHL. The scoring player must also play both on the power play and penalty kill where they need to score.

I guess it comes down to what counts as a 'way'... is an OT goal a distinct category? What if one goal satisfies 2 'ways' (an empty-net shorthanded goal, for instance? An OT Penalty Shot?)

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
2 fastest sh goals, one player

Esa Tikkanen scored the two quickest short-handed goals in NHL history vs. Toronto on 11-12-88. The first goal came at 10:44 of the first period and the second only 12 seconds later , at 10:56. The Oilers went on to beat Maple Leafs 6-2

IMO thats a tough record to brake.
Also Theo Fleury's 3 sh goals in one game could possibly be tied but never broken

jb**

It probably has been said the Flyers 35 game unbeaten streak, with no ties any more it is impossible, even before was almost impossible

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
PACaptain said:
I know its a one game record, but Lemieux's 5 goals 5 ways seems like it will stand forever. Think of all the different scenarios that have to take place for someone to achieve this. 5 goals in a game is rare enough at this point, probably only happens a handful of times in a season. The game has to be close enough where the opposing team pulls their goalie, so that means at least 7 combined goals before the empty net. The player who scores the five goals must get and convert a penalty shot, which are rare in the NHL. The scoring player must also play both on the power play and penalty kill where they need to score.

Point being that's a lot of different things to happen and it would take a special player in a special game to do all of that and I don't believe I'll see it in my lifetime. That said Sidney Crosby does it in the second week of November.

PP
SH
PS
ES
EN
OT

That's 6.. How you ask? PP, SH, PS, ES are clear.. EN AND OT? Other team pulls there goalie a goal behind some1 scores a empty netter. Some miracle the other team scores 2 goals to tie it up and head to OT where you can score the OT winner.. That's 6 way :) It's possible.. will it ever happen? NO

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Matti_A said:
Esa Tikkanen scored the two quickest short-handed goals in NHL history vs. Toronto on 11-12-88. The first goal came at 10:44 of the first period and the second only 12 seconds later , at 10:56. The Oilers went on to beat Maple Leafs 6-2

Also Theo Fleury's 3 sh goals in one game could possibly be tied but never broken

Im not sure.. So I gotta ask.. Didnt Fleury score those 3 SH's in 1 period too?

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Matti_A said:

With most teams being shorthanded now for 1/2 of all their games that one may be broken now. There are multiple 4 on 3's now in every game, that leaves a lot of ice.

Transported Upstater

I think Glenn Hall's consecutive games played streak is one for the ages, maybe more than any other record in this league.

What's the record for most penalties (and seperately, most PIM) in a game?

Transported Upstater

12# Peter Bondra said:
PIM record for one game is 67 I believe by Jeff Schultz.

67 PIM...that's like two full seasons for Gretz :D

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Lemieux's (whatever) 5 goals 5 ways? Huh???? That can be broken easily in one lucky night.

163 assists, however.....NOT!

92 goals....boy, will that take some rule changes to get close to!

215 points.....not until they change the rules to say NO checking, hitting, touching, etc.

50 goals in 39 games. Cam Neely's weak attempt (50 goals in 49 games PLAYED) is the closest, and isn't even close.

One game records may be broken, but the full-season records that Gretzky set.....I really doubt it!

KOVALEV10*

jiggs 10 said:
Lemieux's (whatever) 5 goals 5 ways? Huh???? That can be broken easily in one lucky night.

163 assists, however.....NOT!

92 goals....boy, will that take some rule changes to get close to!

215 points.....not until they change the rules to say NO checking, hitting, touching, etc.

50 goals in 39 games. Cam Neely's weak attempt (50 goals in 49 games PLAYED) is the closest, and isn't even close.

One game records may be broken, but the full-season records that Gretzky set.....I really doubt it!

Actually Mario did something like 50 in 44 so its not like its impossible.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Matti_A said:

In the Buffalo-Senators game earlier in the year Havlat could have had 5 Shorthanded goals. He got 1 goal. It would have been tough for him to connect on all his chances but a record like that of 3 SH goals in one game is actually likely to be broken at some point when someone has a great game and gets lucky and all the bounces. I think single game records are always more likely to get broken then season and career records as all it takes is one game with bad goaltending and a lucky player getting the bounces. Even the 10 points in a game is reachable at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->