Records that are unbreakable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Here are a list of records that are very unlikely to ever be broken. And I'm going to name the one that I think will be the hardest to ever break.

Doug Jarvis' Ironman streak 914 games (the right amount right?). The onl reason this ever ended was cause he retired. Too many guys are oft-injured this one will be hard to break.

Gretzky's 50 goals in 39 games. He may be the most proud of this one but this isnt as invincible as it looks. A player DOES have to have a perfect first half of the seaosn that's true, but get a guy like a Nash or a Kovalchuk and give them a hot start and you could be looking at them being close. Still this is a otugh pace to maintain and sice last year the league lead in goal was 41 it'll stand for a good time. Potential guys to break it are Kovalchuk, Nash, Iginla, Crosby in the future.

Gretzky's 215 points. This is about 2.6 points per game. That'll be really hard you have to have the right teammates and really be on an offensive team. Martin St. Louis had 94 points last year. To me very few guys could ever come close to this. It has to be a guy who can pass and score.

Gretzky's 92 goals. Again this will be hard, but a big sniper like Kovalchuk could hit it if the game opens up. He may be a 50-60 goal man anyways but a big season could make him close. Still if anyone halfway throught the year is at 40, he'll be hounded so much by the media he'll likely choke.

Gordie Howe's 20 straight seasons of Top 5 scoring. From '49 to '69 he was always right up there. No one will ever do that. Gretzky was the closest at 13 years, but durability is a key and Mr. Howe was always durable.

Mario Lemieux's 5 goals in a game 5 different ways (PP, SH, EN, ES, PS). The only five ways you can score. This wasn't planned by Lemieux but even if anyone had the oppurtunity they have to be pretty special to do this.

Darryl Sittler's 10 points in a game. Even in the most offensive era in the 80s Gretzky never did this with the high flying Oilers. Its hard to imagine this ever touched. Adam Deadmarsh a few years back had 5 points midway through the game and that's what he ended up with. Sittler did this on an average Leaf team in 1976.

Montreal Canadiens 10 striaght OT goals 1993. This was a magical run to the Stanley Cup. Anaheim had 7 in '03 and the Isles had went 11/13 in their Cup run years, but this is going to be hard to beat.

Here are my two records that will NEVER EVER be beaten!

Henri Richards 11 Cups. Yeah it may not be fair cause part of his career he was in the Original Six but this gives it more reason to never be broken. Messier and Trottier both had 6 as did Anderson so it is possible to have guys nowadays run up a bunch of Cups. Roy had 4 as well. But Richard will take this record to his great grandson's grave.

Gretzky's 163 assists. This wont be broken in our lifetime. Only Orr (102) and Lemieux (114) have ever had 100 in a season. St. Louis had 94 points! In '96 Francis and Lemieux had 92, Forsberg had 86. But since then no one ha been close to those numbers even. Oates had 97 at one time, and I'm not sure if there's ever been a better passer than Wayne of all time. Thornton is the only one in the league that can reach 80-90. And Crosby hitting 102 in his draft year might be an omen but 163 is long ways away. Only Lemieux has ever had that many POINTS!

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Doug Jarvis' Ironman streak 914 games (the right amount right?). The onl reason this ever ended was cause he retired. Too many guys are oft-injured this one will be hard to break.

Werd to yo motha. That's the one that came directly to mind when I saw the thread. Ironman records are never broken.

Mario Lemieux's 5 goals in a game 5 different ways (PP, SH, EN, ES, PS). The only five ways you can score. This wasn't planned by Lemieux but even if anyone had the oppurtunity they have to be pretty special to do this.

Darryl Sittler's 10 points in a game. Even in the most offensive era in the 80s Gretzky never did this with the high flying Oilers. Its hard to imagine this ever touched. Adam Deadmarsh a few years back had 5 points midway through the game and that's what he ended up with. Sittler did this on an average Leaf team in 1976.

I don't think any single game achievement is unbreakable. They both most likely will never be broken, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they're untouchable. It only takes one game. One night. One bad team.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Glenn Hall's consecutive games by a goalie streak was once listed as the most unbreakable record in pro sports by Sports Illustrated. I agree. A goalie would have to play every game for more than six straight years. While the backup isn't used as much as it was 20 years ago, the most games a goalie usually plays is in the 70-75 range.

Some players have already taken runs at the other records mentioned. Larmer was close to eclipsing Jarvis' record (which is actually 964 games, Larmer was a season away from breaking it). Cam Neely, with a bad leg and a bad hip, scored 50 in 44 games in 1993-94. Lemieux came close to Gretzky's points record in 1989, and had a better PPG in 1992-93 than Gretzky did in 1985-86. I don't think anyone nowadays is good enough to take a legit run at any of Gretzky's single-season records. It might happen if they expand the nets, but if they did that, they should asterisk all future records.

I think a lot of Wayne's career records are unassailable. I think Henri Richard's 11 Cups is also untouchable in a 30-team NHL. (We now revere guys with three).

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
norrisnick said:
Teemu's 76 rookie goals and 132 (I believe) points.

Well Gretzky had 137 as a rookie. I don't care if he was in the WHA the year before... he was younger than Teemu was in his rookie year.

Wetcoaster

Gordie Howe's record of playing in 5 different decades in the NHL (1940-50-60-70-80)

Deleted member 3032

Sawchuk's 103 career shutouts looks to be fairly safe, especially with the NHL actively trying to open the game up more offensively.

Glenn Hall's 502 consecutive games is untouchable.
Terry Sawchuk's 971 games played is untouchable.
Grant Fuhr's most games played in one year, 79, will probably not be broken.

Bill Mosienko scored 3 goals in 21 seconds with teams at even strength in 1952. Will never happen again.

Paul Coffey's 48 goals will stand for a long time.
Ditto Bobby Orr's 139 points in a season.

Joe Malone's 7 goals in one game will never be touched.

Larry Robinson +730 in 1394 games. A guy would have to lead the league in plus/minus for 20 years to catch Big Bird.
Bobby Orr was +124 in 1970-71. Guys win the plus/minus now with +35.

Gretzky's 92 goals in one season.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
I can easily see Gretzky's single season/career playoff records broken. We don't need a superhuman player to come along, just a few pretty good ones... and some big rule changes. Stranger things have happened. Decades ago, hockey had even less goals than we have now, and it eventually ballooned to a max of 8 a game. Things change, a lot.

I don't see this happening anytime soon, mind you. And someone scoring 230 points wouldn't make them better than Gretzky. Maybe their teammate gets 210. Gretzky was dominant, it's not his numbers that impress me, it's the numbers of the people lagging behind him.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Big Phil said:
Gretzky's 163 assists. This wont be broken in our lifetime. Only Orr (102) and Lemieux (114) have ever had 100 in a season. St. Louis had 94 points! In '96 Francis and Lemieux had 92, Forsberg had 86. But since then no one ha been close to those numbers even. Oates had 97 at one time, and I'm not sure if there's ever been a better passer than Wayne of all time. Thornton is the only one in the league that can reach 80-90. And Crosby hitting 102 in his draft year might be an omen but 163 is long ways away. Only Lemieux has ever had that many POINTS!
True. This is exactly the record I've thought will remain unbroken.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Tanguay40 said:
Sawchuk's 103 career shutouts looks to be fairly safe, especially with the NHL actively trying to open the game up more offensively.
I don't know, if Brodeur can keep cranking out the 10+ SO seasons it might be catchable, Brodeur did just lose a season of his prime though.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
kruezer said:
I don't know, if Brodeur can keep cranking out the 10+ SO seasons it might be catchable, Brodeur did just lose a season of his prime though.

Exactly, he's at 75 now, and still is just 33 years old. If he can still get 7 seasons in his career, he only needs to average 4 a year to get the record. Even with rule changes, he's still going to be racking up enough shutouts to do it, IMHO.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Stevie Y, on his what, 21st season for the Wings, 17th? or something as Captain. (Sorry, the loss of a season has got me muddled up, plus I was quite young when Stevie broke into the league)

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Buffaloed said:
This one isn't going to be broken for a long time.
Record online users 3255 (Yesterday 04:39 PM)

It would`ve been 3256 if I didn`t keep getting the server is too busy message. :)

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
reckoning said:
It would`ve been 3256 if I didn`t keep getting the server is too busy message. :)

3257...I got it too...took me half an hour of web surfing to get in.
Probably others couldn't get in either.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Bossy's 9 consecutive 50 goal seasons. Only Gretz came close to equalling. Won't happen ever again.

Wetcoaster

chooch said:
Bep Guidolin's record will never be broken.
I assume you mean the youngest player to play in the NHL and not the guy who stepped aside as coach for two legends (Sather and Cherry).

In 1942, with World War II in full rage, 16 year-old Armand Guidolin was too young to carry a rifle but old enough and skilled enough to become the youngest player to ever make the ranks of the NHL. The Boston Bruins were in dire need of replacements to fill the roster holes created by so many players leaving for military service. Young Guidolin filled the bill with some surprising success.

In his second season, he tallied 42 points in 47 games. By then he'd become known as "Bep" because broadcaster Foster Hewitt didn't want to tangle his tongue around Guidolin's birth-given name. But by 1944, his eligibility for military service brought a one-year break from his NHL career.

In 1945, Guidolin picked up where he left off?this time against stronger lineups across the league. But his 175-pounds of raw muscle was up to the task. He continued to score at a respectable pace for two more seasons with the Bruins before trades took him to Detroit and on the his final NHL stop in Chicago.

With the Blackhawks, Guidolin put up his best single-season numbers, netting 17 goals and 34 assist. But his ardent support for the formation of a player's union brought on an early demise to his tenure in the NHL.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=12798

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
Someone already mentioned it, but Joe Malone's 7 goals in one game. It's strange, but I thought with all the great players we've had since him, someone would've broken or at least tie his record by now. All of Gretzky's goal scoring records don't seem nearly as impressive when you compare him with Malone.

Malone had 44 goals in 20 games, which is a lot more impressive than Gretzky's 50 in 39. Granted, Malone played in the 1910's and 1920's, but he's still classified as a NHLer! Perhaps, he should be ranked up there with the likes of Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Gretzky, etc...

chooch*

Wetcoaster said:
I assume you mean the youngest player to play in the NHL and not the guy who stepped aside as coach for two legends (Sather and Cherry).

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=12798

Yes thats the record I was referring to. Unbreakable.

I always thought his nickname was because his older brother couldnt pronounce "baby" properly. And "Beppie" stuck. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else and it really was Foster. Like corn Y yay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad