Recording off a DVR

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I have a Motorola DCX3400-M DVR (called a PVR in Canada).

Is there a way I can record off the DVR to my computer or external hard drive?

I own the PVR and paid for the programs via my monthly bill which I recorded and now wish to transfer. I want to drop my cable TV but I have close to 500 gigs stored on my DVR and don't want to lose that. There is no guarantee that I will be able to access the recordings after I drop my TV package. Apparently the DVR will eventually cease functioning even when it comes to recorded programs. I've been told that could be in days or months.

Thanks everyone. :nod:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'm not sure how it works in Canada legally, but hardware-wise you're only sort of able to do this. I've looked into it before and it's a pretty gray area legally in the US. The HDMI standards are constantly evolving, so this may only work today, who knows how quickly it will change.

If you want a simple but low-res capture, any component capture card/device will do (red, blue, green cables). Component has no drm measures to protect the content. If you want a high-res capture, an hdmi device (hauppage and elgato make some) is needed, but they only capture the hdcp compliant feed (drm). To unprotect the feed and actually get something with hdcp/drm, you'll need something to bypass the hdcp. This involves a hdmi splitter, read Amazon reviews and you'll find people confirming it removes HDCP (or search for 'hdcp remover' and check the top listings).

Basically, HDMI splitter + HDMI capture device should work. But it's untested on my end and only based on my research into the matter and subsequently letting the subject go since it falls into an area I'm not looking to wade into.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The recordings are quite possibly encrypted with HDCP, in which case you might be out of luck, unless you can find some software or hardware to decrypt them. There's nearly always some way, but the content protection makes it a lot trickier and more of a hassle than simply connecting the hard drive to your computer and playing the files.

I've not heard of DVRs ceasing to allow you to watch recorded programs. My experience is that you can keep DVRs and use them offline to watch what you've already recorded. I did that as recently as a few months ago, keeping an old DVR offline for a month until I caught up on everything that I had recorded on it. So, I'm not sure that I would believe the tech who told you that. If it's true, though, perhaps the company sends some signal to the DVR that wipes out the key that it uses to decrypt their content or something like that. I would disconnect the DVR from the input now, before you shut off the service, and see if you can still watch recorded programs. If the DVR is disconnected when you shut off service, they can't touch it.

Last edited:

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Is this with Shaw?

With the Shaw boxes (dunno about Telus, Bell etc) you have to keep them powered on so you can watch your programming after you cancel. So BEFORE your service goes offline, you need to disconnect your cable line into the box and don't power down the box. As soon as you power down, the next time it turns on it will search for cable service and if it doesn't find anything, you will lose access to those recordings. Does this work forever? I don't know TBH, but it does work for a while.

I would do what Osprey suggested and test what happens when the cable is not connected while you still have your service.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad