Record low TV ratings for NBA final

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Mark Cuban vs. Ted Cruz: NBA ratings debate again rears its ugly head

Arguing about sports TV ratings is a well-worn political path and perhaps a uniquely modern one. That’s too bad because the NBA Finals are getting interesting.

... it would be wholly dishonest and completely ridiculous to say that “politics” is what is causing the NBA’s ratings decline. It is just one of myriad reasons.

The biggest is that the NBA is staging its Finals in October, not June. It isn’t just running up against direct competition from baseball, college football and, most notably, the NFL. Game 3 of the NBA Finals was seen by just 5.94 million people against “Sunday Night Football,” which was watched by 15.08 million.

It’s not just head-to-head competition, though, on television. Most years, the NBA dominates media coverage during the Finals, helping market stars and create the kind of storylines that draw in casual viewers. That isn’t happening now, where even on ESPN/ABC, which is broadcasting the Finals, the NFL remains king on its talk and news shows.

And MLB races.

I hate political ads.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
This is what happens when you play in a non-traditional time frame.

The NBA and NHL should have just canceled their seasons and conducted their offseasons as if they were able to crown champions this past June.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The ratings have been bad going back to the start of the season. These Finals, I mean if you're not a Lakers fan you're probably like me, you're tired of them constantly dominating the sports media even when they were missing the playoffs year in and year out. You're also probably tired of LeBron this, LeBron that, LeBron is the GOAT, etc. It gets old.

As for the Heat, I've never liked them and this goes back before LeBron played for them.

Reactions: DoyleG and DaveG

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Too many sporting and other events (elections) going on at the same time. Can only share that pie so much. And then there is also cord-cutting, politics...

I'd be curious how international ratings are doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Mark Cuban vs. Ted Cruz: NBA ratings debate again rears its ugly head

Arguing about sports TV ratings is a well-worn political path and perhaps a uniquely modern one. That’s too bad because the NBA Finals are getting interesting.

And MLB races.

I hate political ads.

You know, think about what that guy is saying. The NBA Finals all of a sudden have to worry about baseball, early week college football games..... so either the NBA and their finals are completely overhyped, in which case ESPN are utter idiots for paying the huge fees to air it, or...

the author is hoping if you saying something often enough(it's not the politics), people will believe it. I'm sure it's completely unrelated to the ratings(/s) that the NBA announced they are backing off the on court activism next season.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The NBA has had declining ratings for awhile now. The vast majority of teams and their fanbases really have no reason to watch. I'd say a good 80% of the league is mostly unwatchable especially during the regular season.

Reactions: HisIceness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad