Reconsidering Bridge Contracts

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Guys. The last few years we have all seen the Oilers young stars get handed big money long term contracts. RNH, Hall, Eberle, Gagner are all signed for a lot of money based on expectations for what they may accomplish.
There has been a lot of talk about double standards on this team and different expectations for different players.
What do we now think of these contracts?
IMO it has impaired the improvement of these players to be given money before they had proved track records. There's a reason Eberle and co. wont back check, bring nothing outside of picking up soft points. If you don't expect a player to improve his game and you give him a huge contract without the track record to back up that history - I think it will lead us to our current situation. One dimensional players who are\were awarded money before they should have gotten it and who no longer have a driver to improve there all-round game.
Of course this all goes back to mismanagement of this team at a higher level... another issue.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It also affects the ability to trade players if they are signed long term for huge money. People all lover these deals with their young stars because they assume they would flee at free agency for big dollars. In many cases you can get to within a year of FA and then resign your guys. Make no mistake it is a gamble however but people seldom look at it that way.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
The issue here: the front office set a standard that all young high potential players are getting long term deals with lots of money per year. You don't even need to start winning to do it. The front office will sign you to that deal as long as you have the potential. I imagine Justin Schultz, Yakupov, Nurse is going to get a long term deal as well.

I'm not an oiler fan but this is what I said about the RNH contract. For RNH it was okay, but now all young players will be looking at that contract.

McDavidson

#Jultzing
Mar 18, 2013
Guys. The last few years we have all seen the Oilers young stars get handed big money long term contracts. RNH, Hall, Eberle, Gagner are all signed for a lot of money based on expectations for what they may accomplish.
There has been a lot of talk about double standards on this team and different expectations for different players.
What do we now think of these contracts?
IMO it has impaired the improvement of these players to be given money before they had proved track records. There's a reason Eberle and co. wont back check, bring nothing outside of picking up soft points. If you don't expect a player to improve his game and you give him a huge contract without the track record to back up that history - I think it will lead us to our current situation. One dimensional players who are\were awarded money before they should have gotten it and who no longer have a driver to improve there all-round game.
Of course this all goes back to mismanagement of this team at a higher level... another issue.

Ebs hasn't mailed it in and refuses to back check because he gets 6 mil a year. He refuses to back check, cause he is an offensive minded player, who looks to score points to help his team, basically 3 seasons under his belt. He is still learning what it takes to win. The NHL is build on 1 dimensional players, who build into a team game... give it time

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Ebs hasn't mailed it in and refuses to back check because he gets 6 mil a year. He refuses to back check, cause he is an offensive minded player, who looks to score points to help his team, basically 3 seasons under his belt. He is still learning what it takes to win. The NHL is build on 1 dimensional players, who build into a team game... give it time

I'm not saying he is purposefully mailing it in. What I mean to say is that the Oilers rewarded guys before they should have. They now have a sense of entitlement and refuse to do the little things that it takes to win. On top of that, Eakins plays them non stop and only holds Yak to a higher standard.
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...ence-for-the-oilers-yakupov-not-the-only-one/
Take a read.
Do you think that you can win with a bunch of young guns who only look to pad there stats, aren't worried about backchecking, throwing the odd hit or blocking shots or whatever? these guys play the most minutes?
If they were rewarded on the basis of being 1 dimensional offensive players, what will drive a change?

McDavidson

#Jultzing
Mar 18, 2013
I'm not saying he is purposefully mailing it in. What I mean to say is that the Oilers rewarded guys before they should have. They now have a sense of entitlement and refuse to do the little things that it takes to win. On top of that, Eakins plays them non stop and only holds Yak to a higher standard.
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...ence-for-the-oilers-yakupov-not-the-only-one/
Take a read.
Do you think that you can win with a bunch of young guns who only look to pad there stats, aren't worried about backchecking, throwing the odd hit or blocking shots or whatever? these guys play the most minutes?
If they were rewarded on the basis of being 1 dimensional offensive players, what will drive a change?

IMO I think these guys were paid to be the one dimensional players that help win games, and the wrong pieces have been put in place around them. We need more guys who crash and bang, and go all out.

When we have that, the high paid players will follow in their foot steps. Which blue print do these guys have to follow? All they know how to do is put up points.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
I couldn't be happier that Hall and RNH are locked up long term. It fell in line with Skinner and Tavares' deals.

Eberle was clearly a mistake....should have given him a Duchene type contract.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
The Oilers don't believe in bridge contracts. We draft such bad ass players we know for sure that they will out play any of the big money we give them.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Aynone who watch the game last night think that Hall, Eberle, RNH and Gagner are legitmate 5Mill+ /year players?
What a joke. Hand them the big contracts and the results will come... that was Kevin Lowes management philosophy I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad