Recommendation on Shoot outs

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I have a recommendation to make to our coach:

Have Gallagher, Galchenyuk, and Eller take all shoot outs first. These three have the best hands and moves on our team and it's not even close.

What say ye?

LucaGTI

Sep 28, 2012
Montreal
i'll make sure Therrien gets the message :laugh:
but in all seriousness i'd have to agree. problem is they go according to the shootouts during practice

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

Have Gallagher, Galchenyuk, and Eller take all shoot outs first. These three have the best hands and moves on our team and it's not even close.

What say ye?

With Desharnais on deck and Budaj in net.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
DD is great in shootout, and so is Gionta

I would actually go with Galchenyuk-DD-Gionta/Eller

I don't really have the stats to show it, but I noticed that Right Hand shots do a lot better in shoots, than left hand shots.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

I don't really have the stats to show it, but I noticed that Right Hand shots do a lot better in shoots, than left hand shots.

Gionta hasn't been great at shootouts in a couple of years (last season and this season)

2011-2012 to 2013 he is shooting 1 for 8 = 12.5%
2010-2011 to 2013 he is shooting 3 for 12 = 25%
2009-2010 to 2013 he is shooting 6 for 17 = 35.3%

So I can see why you want to say that Gionta is good at shootouts as his percentage with the habs is a decent 35.3%. The problem stems from his recent shootouts where he has struggled to score. With DD, AG, BG, LE all showing with recent results, that they can score in the shootout, I would prefer going with Gionta around 4 or 5, but not in the top 3.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Gionta hasn't been great at shootouts in a couple of years (last season and this season)

So I can see why you want to say that Gionta is good at shootouts as his percentage with the habs is a decent 35.3%. The problem stems from his recent shootouts where he has struggled to score. With DD, AG, BG, LE all showing with recent results, that they can score in the shootout, I would prefer going with Gionta around 4 or 5, but not in the top 3.

Thanks for doing the leg work for me here. I knew Gionta has been meh of recent times, but didn't know to what extent.

DD probably would be my 4th, but I don't see him better than my top 3 skill wise at all.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010

Wow didn't notice how bad he has been lately, I just remember being better pretty good, maybe early on, so I get that first impression sticks.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo

You don't want Gallagher?

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
You don't want Gallagher?

:help:

I don't know anymore lol

I'm looking at the stats, I use to think Gionta was good, but he isn't as good as I thought. Eller has skill and is 1/2 this year, but went 1/5 last year.

DD seems to be the best one with Plek and Pacioretty being pretty bad.

I have to say, I want to see Subban take some.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

What say ye?

Makes sense to me. As much as I admire Pleks as a complete hockey player, he should never be allowed on a shootout.;)

idk

Jan 11, 2012
I would probably go Galchenyuk-Desharnais-Markov (I'm surprised he's not mentioned here - he's got a great move to his backhand that freezes goalies and opens up the five-hole, and he's career about 33%). Gallagher, Eller and Gionta also get consideration. Subban just because I think he performs well when you put him up on that kind of stage.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar

What say ye?
Concur. Totally. Desharnais can sometimes be considered. But I don't want the guys doing the Plekanec/Naslund backhand fivehole move, ever. I also would not discount Markov and Subban when we get deeper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->