Reclamation projects/re-development during Gillis' tenure

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
What about Stanton? Betting put on waivers and passed on by (nearly) every team to fall to us sounds like he fits the bill.
I wouldn't call him a reclamation project though. The Hawks knew he was solid, he was just a victim of a deep D-corps.

If you asked me this last season, I would've said Alberts was a success, but the dude plummeted this season for whatever reason.

Santorelli has definitely been a revelation here so far. I can't recall him having a bad game. Even when he's not putting up points, he's working incredibly hard and getting little things right. At this rate, I'd give him another contract for next season. It'd be ridiculous for us not too.

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Horvat-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Santorelli-Hansen
Archibald-Richardson-Kassian/Weise

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
As for Ballard, I don't know how anyone could call him a reclamation project.

He was struggling in Florida and Gillis believed he'd bounce back to form. It's not the same as pulling some guys out of the minors but I still view that as a reclamation project. It was the same with as Booth. A guys like Erat would be another if that move was made.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Agreed. Once the team stopped forcing him into a top 6 role, he was great. Not the top 6 player the team hoped, but Bernier was very good at something, which is a great thing to have (I feel like teams thought of him as a failed top 6 until New Jersey signed him as a bottom 6 option).

And he's continued to be a good bottom 6 player these past few years. He failed to live up to expectations as a 1st round pick, which effectively means we over payed for him, but just going by playing ability he can be put in the A group.

Wetcoaster

Are coaches Tortorella, Sullivan and Gulutzan reclamation projects?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Since you have Booth up there. I think he is working his way up to an A with 2 solid games. He could change it around being healthy for most of the season this year.

Spaceace13

Jul 10, 2007
Wasn't Raffi Torres a reclamation Project? I think he turned out pretty well, kinda wished we still had him.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
And he's continued to be a good bottom 6 player these past few years. He failed to live up to expectations as a 1st round pick, which effectively means we over payed for him, but just going by playing ability he can be put in the A group.

Most bottom 6 players are failed high draft picks.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Since you have Booth up there. I think he is working his way up to an A with 2 solid games. He could change it around being healthy for most of the season this year.
A) is a massive reach. Even saying that he's moving his way up to C) is a reach.

Also, it would be easier if the OP's ordering of these options made more sense.

member 105785

A) Tanner Glass, Aaron Rome, Chris Higgins, Maxim Lapierre, Dale Weise, Mike Santorelli, tbd: Brad Richardson, Jeremy Welsh

B) Steve Bernier, David Booth, Cam Barker, Ryan Parent, Jeff Tambellini, Byron Bitz
tbd: Zac Dalpe

C) Shane O'Brien, Kyle Wellwood, Victor Oreskovich, Peter Schaefer, Lee Sweatt, Jonas Andersson, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Mike Duco, Steve Pinizzotto

Record- [A-B-C] 8 - 7 - 9

Bolded the ones I have issues with and will assess individually

Booth wasn't really a reclamation project, he was touted as a top 6 player and hasn't performed, I don't think he's been good by any means, albeit better recently, but I don't think he belongs in this thread at all

Ryan Parent wasn't much of a reclamation project either, the only reason he was acquired was so that Shane O'Brien could keep a job in the NHL, he was a fair player at the AHL level and did decently for the Wolves at the time but he was really only there so Gillis could make sure O'Brien was able to stay in the NHL

Jeff Tambellini was a league minimum AHL signing who was able to make his way into the NHL on one of the top teams in the league, I considered this signing a success as he had no expectations coming into the year. 10 goals and 20 points was a great year for a 4th liner that cost a mere $500,000

Byron Bitz had zero expectations, he made an NHL appearance and that's more than I expected from him

Kyle Wellwood is Kyle Wellwood, he wasn't great, but once again he did what needed to be done. The team decided to go in a different direction with their third line and that's not a knock on him, if he wasn't able to find other work in the NHL, I'd admit this was bad, but he wasn't a complete failure.

Lee Sweatt isn't a failure as he had no expectations, also he was able to notch a big goal, he was also able to bring Bill Sweatt into the system which is nice

Steve Pinizzotto, once again had very little expectations and that he was able to make an NHL impact at all is positive

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
I wouldn't call him a reclamation project though. The Hawks knew he was solid, he was just a victim of a deep D-corps.

If you asked me this last season, I would've said Alberts was a success, but the dude plummeted this season for whatever reason.

Santorelli has definitely been a revelation here so far. I can't recall him having a bad game. Even when he's not putting up points, he's working incredibly hard and getting little things right. At this rate, I'd give him another contract for next season. It'd be ridiculous for us not too.

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Horvat-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Santorelli-Hansen
Archibald-Richardson-Kassian/Weise

I know this isn't inline with the thread, but in what world does Jensen see 1st line ice time on the Sedins wing next season? The kid still hasn't scored a goal in 13 games in the AHL, and by most accounts isn't really setting the world on fire down there either.

I don't understand how some posters like yourself have this blind faith for Jensen even though he's proven absolutely nothing.

Is there something I'm missing?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Are we just arbitrarily calling guys "reclamation projects" now? I think probably half or less of those would qualify unless we're using some kind of really weird definition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad