Reclamation Project

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
The easiest way to make the PP a little more dangerous right now? Keep moving their feet and stop watching the puck handler.

This

Get those bums Stafford and Leino off the PP....They don't deserve to be there.

This

At least run an umbrella if you want to stand stationary and work the puck up top for shots from there. Ehrhoff would be fine at the point tip of the umbrella.

That ****ing zone entry, doe :shakehead:rant::amazed::shakehead

And this

It's so frustrating to watch

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It's like none of the coaches or players understand that, by moving, you manipulate the PKers and create open spaces for passes and shots. That's the key to beating zone defense: Once you get the defense shifting, you've got holes/lanes to exploit
EDIT: Both moving with and without the puck is key. Say someone's skating for a possible backdoor pass and a defender cheats over to prevent that pass from being made? That's a gap somewhere else that wasn't there before

kooldonuts

Oct 3, 2013
Entries can be fixed with a good retrieval on dump-ins, but god forbid the forwards move into the zone with speed. Also, I was always a fan of hinging the D inside the zone, so that one defenseman is deeper in, closer to one of the circles.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Entries can be fixed with a good retrieval on dump-ins, but god forbid the forwards move into the zone with speed. Also, I was always a fan of hinging the D inside the zone, so that one defenseman is deeper in, closer to one of the circles.

Welcome aboard :5:

Nice avatar. What's that from?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

The umbrella would be the only PP set up that would allow the strong side defenseman to be lower like that.

kooldonuts

Oct 3, 2013
Welcome aboard :5:

Nice avatar. What's that from?

It's a monster from Final Fantasy; Cactuar.

The umbrella would be the only PP set up that would allow the strong side defenseman to be lower like that.

The umbrella it is then. That strong side defenseman would almost certainly have to be Ehrhoff right? Put him on the left to give him the option to pass or shoot. The question would be then, who gets that duty on the second unit? Risto?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

The umbrella it is then. That strong side defenseman would almost certainly have to be Ehrhoff right? Put him on the left to give him the option to pass or shoot. The question would be then, who gets that duty on the second unit? Risto?

Welcome!:cheers:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

I would put Ehrhoff at the tip of the umbrella, personally. Have someone else as that low guy, and the weak side forward up high parallel to that "lower" defenseman.

Risto might be my choice for the second unit as well.

kooldonuts

Oct 3, 2013
I would put Ehrhoff at the tip of the umbrella, personally. Have someone else as that low guy, and the weak side forward up high parallel to that "lower" defenseman.

Risto might be my choice for the second unit as well.

Wouldn't it be great if we had TWO Ehrhoffs? *sigh*

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Grigs and Ehrhoff on the point...Grigs feeds and receives passes CE blasts em...Vanek tips em...profit

Grigorenko can not be on the point because he can't be the last man back. What happened with Vanek (not his fault) having to make that desperation play on a breakaway is what would happen every other game if Grigorenko were on point. You need better skaters back there.

Go with the umbrella/1-3-1. Keep Stafford off the first unit. I don't care if it's Ennis, Ott, Leino/Foligno when healthy, Girgensons, Larsson, Flynn... just put someone else there. Grigorenko on the wall for the first PP unit might be my first choice, though. Ehrhoff as the true point in the umbrella puts Myers closer to the net where he's a bit more effective and can release his wrist shot in more dangerous circumstances.

If Grigorenko stays on the 2nd unit put Girgensons there as well, see if they can work out some chemistry in advantageous situations.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Part of the problem the other night with Myers/Hoff on the point was the seemed to be defering to each other and not shooting for stretches.

You shoot it

No you shoot it

No you, I insist

One of them needs to take charge, preferably Ehrhoff. Ironically the 18 year old Risto on the other unit did just that and got some nice hard wristers to the net.

Last edited:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
It's a bit discouraging that the power play continues to be a problem through 2 head coaches and multiple assistants. Same observations and arguments are being made about it covering 4+ seasons.

I think we all know what we'd like to see and have them do. And so do the coaches. They work on it constantly in practice. Yet it still looks like **** in a game.

We don't have enough or the right talent to be able to execute a precision passing and quick movement PP against determined opposition. So we end up having to simplify and like in the Ruff era, rely on shots from the point and picking up rebounds since that's where our strengths are (Ehrhoff, Myers, Vanek).

We are not a strong puck possession, tape to tape passing team at this point in time. At either full strength or with the man advantage. Which explains some of the problems we have entering the offensive zone with control (so the PP can be set up... umbrella, overload or whatever configuration you are advocating for).

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Detroit's ability to isolate Ennis/Hodgson down low and dispossess them was disheartening. Give each of them their own unit, and put Foligno on the first unit when he comes back. He can have two jobs, digging the puck out of the corners, and parking himself in front of the net, so Vanek can creep in and do things while the net-D are dealing with a jillion crosschecks.

bluengold72

Jul 18, 2013
north tonawanda
there is no quick fix to the powerplay. it is truely a matter of talent. teams can pressure the puck without fear of getting burnt. but like others have already said
move your feet
move the puck crisply and accurately
designate a shooter (perhaps grigs)
more hustle (cant get beat to the puck and outworked when you show up late)
entries have to be designed to get the penalty killers off the blueline
(speed thru neutral zone)
i'm in camp with getting vanek out of the low slot and letting him work a side wall

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
We have too few players with vision--they do not anticipate where the guy with the puck can put it safely. All too often it is "beat those 2 guys and I am open". Move the players around to screen out space for the high man to move in-and have a back door guy for when the d man and goalie move out. All too often we were playing a 2-3 zone which was easily frustrated when the guys just stayed within a few feet of their zone spots. Quick passes to make the D move will work--but I do not know if we have the capability to do that as yet...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad