lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
With hindsight who would you pick now?

1-Strome or Marner?
2-Keller or Brown?
3-Hayton or Zadina?

No other options are available. Just these.

You can let your choices for 1&2 influence your choices for 2&3. For example, it would be easy to say Marner, Keller and Zadina. Those would each be great picks but how premium are they? It's kinda important to have some C's in the pipeline.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I doubt anyone would take Strome over Marner, Brown over Keller, and for 3 who knows yet. But I would bet most would take Zadina.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Way too early to say on#3. You need 3+ seasons to make that call. The draft is not about a race to get guys in the lineup, it’s about getting guys that will help you win championships down the road.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The criticism on our current head of scouting Bernhardt in Dallas was his record in the first round.

I think we are all going to love Hayton and his style of play. The question to me is still upside offensively versus the other players who were available at 5; however, I know that I viewed Hayton on being on a different tier and didn't watch him as often or with the same lens as I should have (I even stated on this board that I should be watching him more as he was creeping up draft boards). I'm actually very intrigued on this pick and look forward to being wrong (again).

I think most of us had Marner ahead of Strome on their draft list. I know I did.

I loved Browns game at U18's. I'm surprised he's not further along. I'd gladly pick him up.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
That's what surely separates the likes of Bernhardt from the likes of me. I see great production in young players but for the life of me I can't tease out those who have top tier NHL skills from those who were great scorers in the A and become 3rd liners in the NHL.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Marner, Keller, Hayton. I still strongly consider Zadina, but I've liked what I've seen from Hayton, and with the news that Vancouver would have passed on Zadina as well, I do wonder if there's some behind the scenes problems. It could be BS, players have fallen for weird reasons before, but it's looking like less and less of a crazy pick.

Reactions: PuckLife

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think you have to go back nearly a decade to find a CHL forward taken in the top five without at least 1.00ppg (including playoffs). I believe Nino is the guy. RyJo would but had a big post season, iirc. What about the top ten? I’m guessing that’s only a couple of guys in the last ten years, too. The Hayton pick is really unprecedented.

Even if the player is a bit boring, at least it will be a very interesting experiment. Obviously guys like Patrice Bergeron and ROR should’ve gone higher. Could be Chayka is a genius and isn’t going to let statistical probability stand in the way of his gut. Which is interesting because it goes 100% against his reputation as a stats geek.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think you have to go back nearly a decade to find a CHL forward taken in the top five without at least 1.00ppg (including playoffs). I believe Nino is the guy. RyJo would but had a big post season, iirc. What about the top ten? I’m guessing that’s only a couple of guys in the last ten years, too. The Hayton pick is really unprecedented.

Even if the player is a bit boring, at least it will be a very interesting experiment. Obviously guys like Patrice Bergeron and ROR should’ve gone higher. Could be Chayka is a genius and isn’t going to let statistical probability stand in the way of his gut. Which is interesting because it goes 100% against his reputation as a stats geek.
It depends what stats you are looking at. Certainly the casual fan is blinded by goals and assists. Chayks’s depth goes much beyond that to zone entries, shot/chance suppression. I haven’t seen Hayton’s stats as they relate to these but that is the comparative advantage this franchise is supposed to have given Chayka’s background. This is a science experiment.

Reactions: Sthlmyote and _Del_

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Strome needs to do well this year. At this point I’d rather have everyone in the top 10 over him.

Lawson Crouse (lol) is looking like the only player in the top 11 I wouldn’t have over him.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Like I said on draft night, what our draft cemented is not that we aren't using metrics, it's that we're using completely different metrics. So naturally our draft board is going to look radically different.

And again, this anything but a "safe" pick. Safest thing in the world is to take Zadina or one of the D. If they bust, noone would bat an eye. But you put yourself in the spotlight with a pick like this.

This would be a lot more interesting to me if we weren't the guinea pig. When you're doing something radically different, you're either a genius or a fool. Too early to tell, imo, but I can certainly appreciate the apprehensions. Especially when we're using top ten picks to prove our experiment.

Still excited for Hayton. This year is a big one for him.

Reactions: hbk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad