Recent NHLer Comparisons to Oilers Kids

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Clutchness is completely irrelevant as to why Hossa to Eberle is a terrible comparison. Very different styles of players.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I really wish Yakupov reminded me of one of my favourite players, Bure, but he doesn't at all. He actually kind of reminds me of a young Selanne.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Please explain?

Hossa is an extremely strong player who uses his size to control the puck or steam through people. He's also one of the best two way players in the game, certainly not something I can say for Eberle at this point.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Eberle and Hossa have similar shots but that's about it.

Yakupov is a more explosive Kovalchuk.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Very good job. I don't feel you're overrating any of our players.

You're right, Yak is a hard one to draw comparisons.

He's definitely driven like Hall is and he wants to be in the spotlight scoring the big goals. I think at first glance you gotta compare him to Pavel Bure. Not saying he'll be THAT good... but that's the closest which comes to mind.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I thought about Ponikarovsky too. Don't really see the Hossa comparison-- Hossa combines finesse and power. Harti is almost all power and determination...and just happens to have softer-than-average hands. If anything, I think his low-down, offensive game is more reminiscent of Laraque than of Hossa.

That's has popped into my head a few times as well with Hartikainen. Laraque when he wanted to could put his back to the defender behind the net and there was absolutely nothing the d-man could do about it. Looking back, he had one season where he had 13 goals, 29 points playing 9 minutes a game. If you could get that from Hartikainen in a 4th line role you would have to be pretty happy I think. Give him 2nd unit PP time and maybe play him on the third line and perhaps he could become a 20/20 guy.

The issue I see with Harikainen right now is that he goes a handful of games just not in the play and then has 1 like the one against Colorado. He needs to flip that around.

Sethis

May 9, 2004
Eberle - I dunno. Never saw Mullen in his day. St. Louis actually isn't a bad one.
Hopkins - Datsyuk
Hall - Iginla, but not quite. Not that physical. He's a tough one actually.
Yakupov - Selanne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMvbftNcwyM
Gagner - Koivu (seriously, so much)
Paajarvi - Dvorak
Harski - Fedotenko
Schultz - Maybe Leetch? Leetch was a better skater though (edit: What about Mathieu Schneider?)
Petry - Coburn
Smid - Rathje
Dubnyk - Burke, definitely Burke

Marincin reminds me a lot of Brewer when I watch him too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad