Recent NHLer Comparisons to Oilers Kids

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
I was thinking earlier this morning just how much Nugent-Hopkins reminds me of a young Ron Francis, and then I read Lowetide's latest post comparing Eberle to Joey Mullen.

So, in terms of recent NHL history (sorry, but obviously most of us aren't old enough to remember guys like Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Johnny Bucyk, etc. in their prime), who do the kids/young guys most remind you of (and I leave that a purposefully vague description-- however you think they fit)?

For me:
RNH - Ron Francis (I see a bit of Modano and Oates too-- but I don't think he has the same top speed and dynamism of Modano, and I think he's a much better skater and goal-scorer than Oates) -- his vision, underrated skating ability, compete level and difficulty to remove from the puck, and how he was constantly overshadowed in his career by teammates with more "wow factor".

Eberle - Joe Mullen (I'd never thought of it, but I think that's a fantastic comparison now that I think back on Mullen)-- just a quietly dangerous player every time he's on the ice. He's never gonna blow through a team with his speed, he's never going to be able to out-muscle guys regularly, and he's never going to have the traits of a superstar, but he somehow manages to always be in the right position to score or set up a scoring chance, and he's as consistent as they come.

Hall - Trottier (I see a lot of Iginla in him too, but he doesn't have that size to overpower players like Iginla can) -- that heightened will to compete, his powerful skating, his lead-by-example attitude (remember Trottier was a player/assistant coach of the Pens in his last couple of seasons in the league), and how he just seemingly wills the puck to go in the right direction while he's out there.

Yakupov - Mike Gartner? (this is a really tough one because I haven't seen him THAT much and he always seems to play a different game) -- Obviously he has a deadly shot, and is lightning on his skates, and always seems to try to involve himself in the play, whether it's back-checking, bumping and crashing, doing a bit of gritty agitation...but I think it's far too early for me to say this with conviction or accuracy.

MPS - Radek Dvorak -- Great wheels, great mind for the defensive side of things (hindering his offensive abilities), sometimes lacking motivation, and useful in driving the play from one end of the ice to the other through his speed and size (ie, difficult to contain)

Gagner - Saku Koivu (some Danny Briere there too) -- a fantastic secondary scoring option with the skill and ability to rise up to first line scoring option when needed. Small but feisty, good leadership qualities, and a strong second effort.

Hartikainen - Viktor Stalberg (see a bit of Andrei Kovalenko in him as well, for his ability to really control the pace and puck around the net) -- Always hear the Holmstrom comparisons, but to my eye, Holmstrom prefers to create room in the low slot and around the net and draw players to him there so that more creative guys have space on the perimeter to make plays. Harti seems to be more comfortable behind the net, in the corners, and on the PP, yes, in front of the net. And I think his point totals will be entirely dependent on who he plays with. Not necessarily because he needs good players to put up points, but he is going to open up space for guys, and if he's playing with plugs, they won't take advantage of that space, while if he's playing with skilled guys, he could put up a lot of points. I would imagine that over the next few years we'll see pretty varied point totals from him.

Smid - Ken Daneyko -- Strikingly similar games. Just simple, calm, and smart. Both solid skaters, both with a physical and mean streak, but didn't need to always use it to be effective. Good first pass, but by no means offensive.

Petry - Adrian Aucoin -- Good skater, good puck carrier, sometimes tries to do too much, but can play effectively in any situation, can eat minutes, and plays a solid physical game.

J. Schultz - Zubov -- Fantastic skater, fantastic presence on the PP always making a good play, not quite as good defensively, but if in position defensively, almost always makes a solid play. Nothing flashy on offense or defense, but very useful offensively, and still top-pairing capable defensively. Players calm down when he's on the ice.

Fistric - Matt Greene -- Very similar games, though Fistric is more disciplined. Physical, tough to get by, rarely loses his man, but is limited to 3rd line by his capabilities with the puck. A steadying presence.

Dubnyk - JS Giguere -- When on his game, he's very tough to beat. Problem is the regular weak goal against, and psychological make-up. Giguere had the fundamentals and natural physical ability and reflexes to be an all-time great, but his mental make-up held him back. Still, a reliable starter in the league for a long time, and I think Dubnyk will be too. Some years he'll be stellar, others he'll be average, and others yet, he'll be below average.

(I suppose you could include Peckham, but I don't think he's actually an NHL quality d-man)

So who are your comparisons?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The Harski=Stalberg is the only one I disagree with. Stalberg is probably one of the fastest skaters in the league and does a lot of his work off the rush.

Harski is a tough one. Other guys with puck protection skills like him are different outside that skill. He plays like Holmstrom, but in a different spot. He's close to Hossa for how and where he protects the puck, but obviously doesn't have many more similarites outside of that.

He kind of reminds me of Alex Ponikarovsky back when he played with Sundin and Antropov.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Gagner=Stephen Weiss
Almost identical development paths, strengths and offensive upsides. Both elite prospects that didn't necessarily live up to the billing but still very useful players.

Yakupov=Current Alexander Ovechkin
He'll never be what OV was when he was winning Hart's but I think what Ovechkin is right now is fair and realistic. A guy that can put up 35-35 with upside for more and also incredibly frustrating at times.

Hall=Jeremy Roenick
I've never seen this one before but I like it. Incredible speed and compete with questionable hockey sense and recklessness.

Eberle=Daniel Alfredsson
Not as confident about this one as Alfredsson is more of a goal scorer than Eberle but it's the first one that came to mind.

Turrican*

I know this thread doesn't bug me.
But it would be a gongshow if it got out to the general forums haha

People don't know what a playstyle comparison is..

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I know this thread doesn't bug me.
But it would be a gongshow if it got out to the general forums haha

People don't know what a playstyle comparison is..

What's so ridiculous? Trottier and Francis are the only sure fire hall of famers mentioned so far I think and it's not crazy unrealistic that 1st overall picks become Trottier-Francis caliber.

Turrican*

What's so ridiculous? Trottier and Francis are the only sure fire hall of famers mentioned so far I think and it's not crazy unrealistic that 1st overall picks become Trottier-Francis caliber.

First time on HF?
Fans of other teams would eat this list alive.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
First time on HF?

Member for 9 years - longer than virtually everyone here. There is excessive Oiler hate on the main board, case in point Gagner trade value threads. Any rational hockey fan knows it's not unrealistic to suggest that first overall picks could become franchise players like a Ron Francis or Bryan Trottier. We're not throwing out Gretzky or Lemieux comparisons here. These are HOFers but not generational talents either.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
The Harski=Stalberg is the only one I disagree with. Stalberg is probably one of the fastest skaters in the league and does a lot of his work off the rush.

Harski is a tough one. Other guys with puck protection skills like him are different outside that skill. He plays like Holmstrom, but in a different spot. He's close to Hossa for how and where he protects the puck, but obviously doesn't have many more similarites outside of that.

He kind of reminds me of Alex Ponikarovsky back when he played with Sundin and Antropov.

I thought about Ponikarovsky too. Don't really see the Hossa comparison-- Hossa combines finesse and power. Harti is almost all power and determination...and just happens to have softer-than-average hands. If anything, I think his low-down, offensive game is more reminiscent of Laraque than of Hossa.

Yeah, Stalberg and him aren't that comparable due to Stalberg's speed, you're right. But their work down low is quite similar.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
First time on HF?

Of course they would. Though I was comparing playing styles, not potential (though I left the interpretation of 'comparison' open on purpose-- potential is a reasonable one, I just didn't address it)-- NHL scouts at every draft compare top picks to historically great hockey players. What I did is no different.

Sure, I HIGHLY doubt that RNH finishes in the top-10 in NHL scoring all-time, but his playing style and meaning to this team is eerily reminiscent of Ron Francis, nothing more.

Realistically speaking? A good result for RNH, for example, would be to have a Doug Weight or Vinny Lecavalier kind of career impact. One of the better centers in the league with the ability to be elite in any given season...or even something like Hank Sedin-- in fact, in combining style and career projections, that might be the most apt one as far as reasonable expectations go.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Hall/Roenick comparison is one that I've never seen before and makes a bit of sense. Roenick had better offensive skills (especially passing) but they are relatively similar otherwise. It's a pretty good comparison, and gets Hall away from some of the Messier-lite comments that get thrown around (which I've always thought were grossly unfair to Hall).

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Roenick isn't a great comparison with Hall, Roenick was a VERY prototypical power forward.

Hall - Glen Anderson
Eberle - Joe Mullen

RNH and Yakupov are the most distinctly different from anyone I've ever seen.

RNH DOES have some of Gretzky's vision, and a bit of Datsyuks agility. He does NOT play like either of them, but IMHO he has the best vision in the NHL, with some of the slickest positioning/anticipation.

Yakupov's playstyle reminds me of Martin Saint Louis.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Roenick isn't a great comparison with Hall, Roenick was a VERY prototypical power forward.

Hall - Glen Anderson
Eberle - Joe Mullen

RNH DOES have some of Gretzky's vision, and a bit of Datsyuks agility. He does NOT play like either of them, but IMHO he has the best vision in the NHL, with some of the slickest positioning/anticipation.

I get more of this from Eberle, he reminds me of the more recent St.louis since the guy's not blowing by defenders with his speed anymore since he turned 35 a couple years ago, he's just been putting up point by utilizing his hockey smarts, vision, play-making and teammates.

St.louis is a capable 30+ goal scorer but he's primarily a playmaking winger who is ridiculoulsy consistent like Eberle, both are absolutely dangerous on the PP and both have one of the top backhanders in the league.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

yeah roenick was more rough and tumble, i'll give you that.... i don't really think of him as a power forward though, just because he used his speed so much, rather than working the corners (although he did do that more later in his career, as is common for veterans who lose a step to do)

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

Hall - Glen Anderson
Eberle - Joe Mullen

St louis is a very good comparison actually.

I actually think Eberle is better than Joe Mullen. I watched a ton of Mullen during the oilers hey day and he was always a quiet background player who filled in with the stars, where as Eberle is one of the actual stars imo. Before anyone goes and jumps on me about Mullens 50 goals and all of that please try to remember the game that was played in the 80's. 50 goals back then is like 35 today and you can argue that all you want but it is pretty close to accurate. Stamkos would be Brett hull in the 80's with 70-80 goals per season and Crosby and Malkin would be scoring 140-170 points per season in those days.

I would say Eberle is also very distinct as a player since he is so good at so many aspects of the game.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
yeah roenick was more rough and tumble, i'll give you that.... i don't really think of him as a power forward though, just because he used his speed so much, rather than working the corners (although he did do that more later in his career, as is common for veterans who lose a step to do)

As a kid, both Roenick and Hall had/have a lot in common as far as comparison value goes.

But Roenick REALLY changed his game after rupturing his achilles (I think it was that...it was some kind of very serious lower leg injury in the early-mid 90s in Chicago)-- turned into a Power Forward with decent speed, but not the kind of lightning he was prior to that injury. And then, as the league kept getting bigger and he kept getting older, he adapted again to be an agitator-type with soft hands and the will to go to the front of the net.

Hall could very well have a career trajectory similar to Roenick's.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
For me:
RNH - Ron Francis (I see a bit of Modano and Oates too-- but I don't think he has the same top speed and dynamism of Modano, and I think he's a much better skater and goal-scorer than Oates) -- his vision, underrated skating ability, compete level and difficulty to remove from the puck, and how he was constantly overshadowed in his career by teammates with more "wow factor".

Francis had great vision, passing, work ethic and had decent size. I don't see the same comparison because RNH is so light on his feet and is such a good skater. Modano was faster, RNH is more agile.

I can't help it, but I see the similar style with Gretz for RNH. They both seem to dance around the opposition when skating, they both are so good with their stick skills by stealing pucks and their vision and anticipation of the next move is superior to everyone else. I'm not suggesting RNH is 200 pt calibre, just playing style and I watched Gretz for all of his Oiler years.

Eberle - Joe Mullen (I'd never thought of it, but I think that's a fantastic comparison now that I think back on Mullen)-- just a quietly dangerous player every time he's on the ice. He's never gonna blow through a team with his speed, he's never going to be able to out-muscle guys regularly, and he's never going to have the traits of a superstar, but he somehow manages to always be in the right position to score or set up a scoring chance, and he's as consistent as they come.

Yup agreed.

Hall - Trottier (I see a lot of Iginla in him too, but he doesn't have that size to overpower players like Iginla can) -- that heightened will to compete, his powerful skating, his lead-by-example attitude (remember Trottier was a player/assistant coach of the Pens in his last couple of seasons in the league), and how he just seemingly wills the puck to go in the right direction while he's out there.

I don't see the Trottier comparison, Trottier was a beast on the boards, he could fight for the puck against two guys in the corner and still win. Although I get mixed up with Tonelli all the time.

MPS - Radek Dvorak -- Great wheels, great mind for the defensive side of things (hindering his offensive abilities), sometimes lacking motivation, and useful in driving the play from one end of the ice to the other through his speed and size (ie, difficult to contain)

Bang on.

Dubnyk - JS Giguere -- When on his game, he's very tough to beat. Problem is the regular weak goal against, and psychological make-up. Giguere had the fundamentals and natural physical ability and reflexes to be an all-time great, but his mental make-up held him back. Still, a reliable starter in the league for a long time, and I think Dubnyk will be too. Some years he'll be stellar, others he'll be average, and others yet, he'll be below average.

JSG is hard one for me, I still remember him in his oversized jersey and pads so its difficult for me to remember him in a "legal" playing sense.

Dubnyk reminds me of Sean Burke because of the similar big size goalies.

Eberle=Daniel Alfredsson
Not as confident about this one as Alfredsson is more of a goal scorer than Eberle but it's the first one that came to mind.

I don't see this one at all, at least not yet. Alfredsson is very very good defensively, something Eberle is simply not, currently.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I don't see this one at all, at least not yet. Alfredsson is very very good defensively, something Eberle is simply not, currently.

Eberle is highly underrated defensively albeit not in Alfredsson's league yet. Let's remember Eberle is only 22 still. Defensive accumen takes time.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury

Hall I can see becoming more rough and tumble as he grows into his body. Both are reckless, fearless and have great speed

Aceonfire*

RNH/Kariya: RNH is a bit slower but both had ridiculous hockey IQs and insane passing ability.

Eberle/Hossa: Stick handling, goal scoring. Stripping/deking. There are a lot of similarities. And Hossa has always been clutch.

Hall/Modano: This has always been a fair comparison. Speed leadership and a mix of goal scoring and playmaking ability.

Yakupov/Ovi: As much as he is compared to Bure, all I see is Ovechkin but smaller. He trys to play bigger than he is, and he does way to much on his own.

Schultz: To be honest, not sure yet. I don't think anybody I have seen plays like him. Niedermayer was more physical and shot more up close than from the point.

Harti/Holmstrom: Easy one

Gagner/Briere

Hesmky/Hemsky: There really isn't a comparison. Maybe Havlat if he passed less lol.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
RNH/Kariya: RNH is a bit slower but both had ridiculous hockey IQs and insane passing ability.

Eberle/Hossa: Stick handling, goal scoring. Stripping/deking. There are a lot of similarities. And Hossa has always been clutch.

RNH is ALOT slower then Paul Kariya and I don't get this comparison at all, Kariya did a lot of his things at full speed and also was just as great a goal scorer as he is a play-maker, he was a 50 goal scorer in his prime, something I don't see RNH doing.

Eberle to Hossa? Hossa has never been clutch, he's continously seen as a complimentary player once playoff time comes, he takes a backseat to the big boys. Eberle IMO will be a leading guy.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Why is Yakupov always compared to other Russians?

The only similarity I see between Yakupov and OV, is how thrilled they were when they scored. They LIVED to score, but they totally score in completely different ways.

OV was the bull in a China shop. Bure was from the old Soviet system who was about dogged puck pursuit, anticipating turnovers, and breaking out on the odd-man-rush/breakaways. He had some amazing anticipation for breaking up plays, and being near the blue line when possession was obtained (which lead many to believe he was a cherry picker, even though he wasn't bad defensively).

As the OP mentioned, Yakupov's play-style is more reminiscent of Mike Gartner than any particular Russian. Maybe even a bit of Jari Kurri. Seriously.. how many forwards are known for their slapshot?

The 1 hand on the stick thing does remind me a bit of Bobby Hull.

Last edited:

Aceonfire*

RNH is ALOT slower then Paul Kariya and I don't get this comparison at all, Kariya did a lot of his things at full speed and also was just as great a goal scorer as he is a play-maker, he was a 50 goal scorer in his prime, something I don't see RNH doing.

Eberle to Hossa? Hossa has never been clutch, he's continously seen as a complimentary player once playoff time comes, he takes a backseat to the big boys. Eberle IMO will be a leading guy.

Yah no similarities between Hossa and Eberle at all..

And yah, Hossa isn't clutch at all

Paul Kariya was one of RNH's idols when he was younger and that is why he wore the #9.

He fashioned his game in a similar way and both were compared to Gretzky for their vision and lighting quick reaction time on plays.

Eberle will be much more of a leader than Hossa, but we are talking about play styles not personality...

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Paul Kariya was one of RNH's idols when he was younger and that is why he wore the #9.

He fashioned his game in a similar way and both were compared to Gretzky for their vision and lighting quick reaction time on plays.

Same logic I used when I compared St.louis to Eberle, as he was his idol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad