Recent Former Flyers - how far we have come

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
I was thinking about the horrible full-time NHL players the Flyers dressed just a couple of years ago. A lot of these guys aren't even old, so it's not like they all turned 38 or something...

18 - 19
Dale Weise - don’t know where he is now
Jori Lehtera - don’t know where he is now
Andrew MacDonald - released from Calgary PTO
Christian Folin - don’t know where he is now
17 - 18
Matt Read - AHL Toronto Marlies
Brandon Manning - AHL Bakersfield Condors ?
16 - 17
Boyd Gordon - don’t know where he is now, probably retired
Chris VandeVelde - Austrian Hockey League?
Nick Cousins - in the AHL somewhere? couldn't find him

And how about some of these horrifying call-ups???
Jordan Weal - wasn't so awful but he's only 27 and in his prime years can't get on a NHL roster
Justin Bailey - only 24 years old and can't make a NHL team
Tyrell Golbourne - only 25 years old - doubt he'll ever see NHL ice again
Michael Vecchione - only 26 years old and can't make a NHL team
Phil Varone - only 28 years old - doubt he'll ever see NHL ice again
Corban Knight - in the KHL, probably not a great example of steaming crap that played for the Flyers

Of course there are some decent players who are still in the NHL like PE Bellemare, Ryan Hartman and guys that just got old like Mark Streit, and maybe Boyd Gordon..

Remember all the ice time Hackstol gave to some of these turds? Remember the offensive zone starts VandeVelde got late in games? Games when they were down a goal while Giroux sat on the bench???

My GOD things sure have improved.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

A strong middle 6 player who turned into an average 4th liner here before his NHL time was over? Why is he on this list?

That’s because he played 152/164 possible games for the Coyotes as a solid depth piece — averaging 1.4 WAR per season — and is now on the Canadiens. The Internet is a useful tool.

Jordan Weal - wasn't so awful but he's only 27 and in his prime years can't get on a NHL roster

He’s literally on an NHL roster and doing fine and did fine here besides being mostly a scapegoat. Another 1 WAR candidate, which isn’t chopped liver.

:teach2:

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Despite some inaccuracies, most of that is pretty funny. Especially AMac, didn't know that about him.

I get the sense that it hasn't 100% settled in for most how incredibly BAD Hakstol was. I know management deserves their share, but if the guy had the tiniest bit of intelligence or spine he maybe would have tried to push back a little. Instead, he took horrific roster situations and managed to make them unthinkably worse, again and again and again.

He's really his own category of person.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
A strong middle 6 player who turned into an average 4th liner here before his NHL time was over? Why is he on this list?

That’s because he played 152/164 possible games for the Coyotes as a solid depth piece — averaging 1.4 WAR per season — and is now on the Canadiens. The Internet is a useful tool.

He’s literally on an NHL roster and doing fine and did fine here besides being mostly a scapegoat. Another 1 WAR candidate, which isn’t chopped liver.

:teach2:

Matt Read is on this list because he was a nice middle 6 player who got overpaid and very quickly turned into a bad, non-scoring, soft 4th liner and is now out of the league.

Nick Cousins is a healthy scratch in Montreal because he sucks.

Jordan Weal would fit right in to our bottom six as a small, soft guy who can't score in the NHL because WAR. Hell he could play with Read and Cousins. That would be a great 4th line.

I didn't use the internet for this post either. What the f is a 1 WAR candidate? Don't tell me because I won't read it and I'm not looking it up either.

Reactions: Dornhoeffer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, if you look at the bottom six/bottom four on Hakstol's teams, the conclusion is it's amazing he got those teams into the playoffs twice, because he was given a lot of dreck, from subpar goalies to teams with zero depth.

These guys played because the players behind them were worse (Akeson, Varone, Gordon, White, Leier, Brennan, etc.).

Holmgren stripped this team of talent, they had a half dozen solid starters and a lot of replacement/below replacement talent behind them.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Jordan Weal would fit right in to our bottom six as a small, soft guy who can't score in the NHL because WAR. Hell he could play with Read and Cousins. That would be a great 4th line.

I didn't use the internet for this post either. What the f is a 1 WAR candidate? Don't tell me because I won't read it and I'm not looking it up either.
Ah. One of those people huh

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I stumbled into Jori's name when I accidentally turned on a SKA St. Petersburg game. Not sure how he's faring there but he was a first line center in that game :laugh:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I was thinking about the horrible full-time NHL players the Flyers dressed just a couple of years ago. A lot of these guys aren't even old, so it's not like they all turned 38 or something...

18 - 19
17 - 18
16 - 17

Corban Knight - in the KHL, probably not a great example of steaming crap that played for the Flyers

Of course there are some decent players who are still in the NHL like PE Bellemare, Ryan Hartman and guys that just got old like Mark Streit, and maybe Boyd Gordon..

Remember all the ice time Hackstol gave to some of these turds? Remember the offensive zone starts VandeVelde got late in games? Games when they were down a goal while Giroux sat on the bench???

I was literally thinking about this yesterday, but how with mdz disappearing from the face of the earth schenn might be the only former flyer left in the league. I don't even consider Hartman a flyer, but good catch on belly. Completely forgot about him.

Just speaks volumes how passive Hextall really was and how pitiful his assessment of support players was. Even in that year kimmo got sidelined with injuries Mdz and Colaiacovo got signed in August and October respectively while Nick Schultz was among the first to get a contract when UFA window opened.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Believe it or not, Manning is on Oilers roster at the moment as a healthy scratch :laugh:

Out of this list, only Weal is a regular NHLer..on the Canadiens 4th line.

Pretty funny that Weal, Weise, Folin, and Cousins all ended up in Montreal organization. They dont call him Bargain Bin Bergevin for no reason.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Believe it or not, Manning is on Oilers roster at the moment as a healthy scratch :laugh:

Out of this list, only Weal is a regular NHLer..on the Canadiens 4th line.

Pretty funny that Weal, Weise, Folin, and Cousins all ended up in Montreal organization. They dont call him Bargain Bin Bergevin for no reason.

I get the manning hate, and trust me there is no one that hates watching him play more than me. But what Edmonton is doing to him is f***ed up and The fact that the PA is doing nothing about it is even more f***ed up.

Reactions: kudymen

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
GrandioseSolidIslandwhistler-size_restricted.gif

GIVE ME RUSH HOUR 4!

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016

Where they are now...
Dale Weise - Laval AHL
Jori Lehtera - SKA St. Petersburg KHL
Christian Folin - Montreal NHL
Matt Read - Toronto Marlies AHL
Brandon Manning - Edmonton NHL
Boyd Gordon - Retired
Chris VandeVelde - UFA last played for Salzburg in Austria
Nick Cousins - Montreal NHL
Jordan Weal - Montreal NHL
Justin Bailey - Utica AHL
Tyrell Golbourne - Chicago AHL
Michael Vecchione - San Antonio AHL
Phil Varone - Laval AHL
Corban Knight - Barys KHL
PE Bellemare - Colorado NHL
Ryan Hartman - Minnesota NHL
Mark Streit - Retired
Jason Akeson - Kölner Haie DEL Germany
Ryan White - UFA last played for Manitoba AHL
Taylor Leier - Rochester AHL

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA

18 - 19
17 - 18
16 - 17

Jeez, Did you even try to find out where these guys are? But yes, the team has come a long way.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's called a rebuild.
Hextall refused to spend assets to build depth for a mediocre team.
In return, he built one of the top farm systems in the NHL, which is now bearing fruit.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Where they are now...
Dale Weise - Laval AHL
Jori Lehtera - SKA St. Petersburg KHL
Christian Folin - Montreal NHL
Matt Read - Toronto Marlies AHL
Brandon Manning - Edmonton NHL
Boyd Gordon - Retired
Chris VandeVelde - UFA last played for Salzburg in Austria
Nick Cousins - Montreal NHL
Jordan Weal - Montreal NHL

Justin Bailey - Utica AHL
Tyrell Golbourne - Chicago AHL
Michael Vecchione - San Antonio AHL
Phil Varone - Laval AHL
Corban Knight - Barys KHL
PE Bellemare - Colorado NHL
Ryan Hartman - Minnesota NHL

Mark Streit - Retired
Jason Akeson - Kölner Haie DEL Germany
Ryan White - UFA last played for Manitoba AHL
Taylor Leier - Rochester AHL

So only 6 of these guys are on an NHL roster and only 3 are in their teams lineup regularly.

Unreal.

Remember when Corban Knight was going to fix our PK and be a big factor on the 4th line last season? :laugh:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Funny thing is if Stewart is signed, he is the worst player on the list.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
I get the manning hate, and trust me there is no one that hates watching him play more than me. But what Edmonton is doing to him is ****ed up and The fact that the PA is doing nothing about it is even more ****ed up.

Out of the loop here - what are the Oilers doing to our brandon??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad