Recent Ex-Leafs Around the League.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I find it interesting that there usually don't seem to be that many ex-Leafs in NHL circulation. Cause you realize for a long time, Toronto was usually one of the last stops for a player.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Tavares nickname coming from the Island is Judas.

Those 3 players walking freed us up enough cap space to sign him.

If Tavares signed with the Sharks I guarantee this place would be a back patting, congratulatory, 'now the Sharks are my western team!' circle jerk the likes of which are seen only every few months.

But he didn't and now he's with us. Apparently he wanted to do it for years. Barzal is a generational winger center (and six years from now if the organization is still a joke, just prepare the Judas II memes now). Not wanting to waste his career winning nothing with a crappy team that doesn't even have a home arena makes him a traitor, somehow.

Edit:

For the players mentioned.

Bozak is still a top six or bust C with average offense on the back nine of his career who got overpaid like we knew he would.

Komarov has been broken since the end of 16-17.

Jvr, who is injured, actually got a fair deal but you don't go paying the Jvrs of the world 7 when you gotta pay Willy, Mitch and Auston.

Mac has a good year and maybe he signs on for one more year at something like 1.5 but keeping him means losing Sparks.

If Pickard was going to be something, he would have shown it by now.

Martin produces sub replacement offense and only really needs to slot in for 35-45 games a year.

If everything breaks absolutely 100% in Carrick's favor then yes he's a second pair D...how often does everything break 100% in your favor? He's a 16 a night with zero special teams time third pair guy at best.

Sosh is too small.

Aside from jvr, who is a luxury item, we lost nothing more than expendable depth.

Last edited:

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I think Carrick will be a regular Top4 D by the end of the season. Biggest mistake Dubas made.

I severely doubt that. Carrick is a decent player but does nothing extraordinary at the NHL level. He can hold the puck but often waits too long to move it. He dominated the AHL offensively but it never translated/has yet to translate to the NHL.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I think Carrick will be a regular Top4 D by the end of the season. Biggest mistake Dubas made.

For Dallas? Okay. He can be a top 4 on a non-playoff team. Also means we'll get a 6th then which we can hand to Bergman to spin into gold.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Mac has a good year and maybe he signs on for one more year at something like 1.5 but keeping him means losing Sparks.

If Pickard was going to be something, he would have shown it by now.

Martin produces sub replacement offense and only really needs to slot in for 35-45 games a year.

If everything breaks absolutely 100% in Carrick's favor then yes he's a second pair D...how often does everything break 100% in your favor? He's a 16 a night with zero special teams time third pair guy at best.

Plus, neither Pickard or Mac have shown themselves to be any more consistent than Sparks so far. Good odds one of them will be waived by November and we'll be able to plant them on the Marlies to use as an emergency replacement.

Even if Carrick is a top 4 for Dallas, that mean's he's a top 4 on a non-playoff team. Big deal. Good for him. We get a better pick in return. Win-Win.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I like Carrick, and wish him all the best in Dallas. I always believed he was better than Babcock's usage of him indicated, but he was pretty much never going to get any greater an opportunity under Babcock here than he did last year, and he didn't deserve to be a healthy scratch wasting away in the pressbox, so Dubas moved him. I imagine the same would've happened with Leivo if he didn't crack the lineup this year.

At the end of the day, though, if trading away a Connor Carrick is your biggest mistake, I think you're probably doing ok.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

member 262271

I don't see Carrick being much more than a bottom pairing guy, maybe a number 4 if he pans out. Fehr I thought always looked good. Both of these are examples of guys who weren't going to get a shot here for whatever reason.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Agree with this.

Skates well, has the size and is good in the faceoff circle. He's a good piece for a 4th line and PK.

Why do we need a guy in his mid thirties who produces zero offence on 3rd line minutes and an under 50% faceoff percentage when we have much younger players (Lindholm, Gauthier) who are better in almost every way?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad