Recchi vs LeClair

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
So the stats stack up like this-

Mark Recchi: 1256-484-781-1265 (three 100+ point years, five 90+ point years)
John Leclair: 946-404-408-812 (three 50+ goal years, five 40+ goal years)

Both played their best hockey in the 90s but have continued to thrive into their late 30s. Recchi plays more of a passing game while LeClair is more of a shooter. Recchi began his career playing with Mario Lemieux while LeClair turned into a superstar playing with Eric Lindros. Both now play for the Penguins as they wind down their careers. So with that and other factors considered, who is the better palyer?

Roger's Pancreas*

Recchi is and was the better player. LeClair only outplayed Recchi during his absolute peak, which happened to be very short lived due to his back injuries.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Recchi beat me at golf both times I played him. (we're the same age, he's a friend of a friend)

So I gotta go with my fellow Kamloopsian. :)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Its Recchi and there shouldnt be any votes for Leclair. As we saw what happened with Leclair before and after Lindros was with him. He only put points up in those five seasons. Other than that he's an average player. Recchi on the other hand is not average. He's scored no matter who or what team he's been on. He's a two time Cup winner and has better playoff numbers than Leclair. Leclair looked brutal thise year and has for a few years now. Recchi is still a threat.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Recchi in my opinion was always the player who was able to be a focal point of the line where as LeClair seemed to be better suited as a complimentry player. That isn't an insult to LeClair as he was a very good player but at the same time his numbers and his effectiveness on the ice is directly related to the skill of those on his line. When Lindros was in his prime and playing on the Legion of Doom/Orange Crush line that is when LeClair had his most impressive seasons.

Recchi did benifit from Lindros/Lemieux/Jagr but at the same time he proved in Montreal that he could also be the key player on a team and for that alone he gets my vote.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Recchi did benifit from Lindros/Lemieux/Jagr but at the same time he proved in Montreal that he could also be the key player on a team and for that alone he gets my vote.

Keep in mind, in the early nineties, Recchi, while with the Pens and Flyers, won his team scoring title 4 years in a row and in addition he never played on a line with Jagr. Jagr only started putting up big points once Recchi left.

As for the comparison, Recchi has always been a better player, even during Leclair's peak years. Recchi as a Flyer had higher point totals than Leclair had with the Flyers, and had better point totals with the Habs than Leclair had with the Habs.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
I'll take Recchi at any day of the week, maybe even twice on Sundays. He's a better player at the point, and was better when they both were in their primes. But that doesn't make LeClair bad, he 's still a heck of a player.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I didn't think this was going to turn into such a landslide, i admit I voted for Recchi too but LeClair does have is redeeming points. Was Lindros really THAT big an influence on LeClair during his 50 and 40 goal years? I think a large part of his decline was due to his back condition that resulted in 2000-01 being pretty much a write off for LeClair and the follwing couple of years being marred by continuing back problems that required more surgery. If it hadn't been for that I think he would have kept his goal-pace up right through to the lockout year. I know its just another 'what-if' scenario but an example of how it holds truth is the 02-03 season in which LeClair scored 18 goals in 35 games (42 goals over 82 games) while hindered by a herniated back. Iron man Recchi on the other hand has been remarkably able to stay almost injury free over the last 17 years and consistently put up close to a point per game. I guess the choice is quite clear but its a shame Big John is so overshadowed.

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Recchi and it isn't even close.

I like LeClair, but LeClair was a fairly 1-dimensional player whose production was inflated by Lindros. Recchi was more rounded and produced at a high level no matter where he was or who was on his line.

Comcast threw a stat on screen several years ago (back when Lindros was feuding with Clarke). I can't recall the exact numbers, but it was showing how LeClair scored when Lindros was in the line-up versus out of the line-up as a Flyer. It was nearly a 20-goal swing. A near-60 goal pace with Lindros, around 40 without. That is indeed a huge impact. When you watch LeClair play, you see why. He is not a good skater and he doesn't set up his own scoring opportunities. He waits near the circle for somebody to feed him the puck.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Leclair may be the first guy with 5 post season all-star selections to not get into the HOF. I know Brewer and Martin have 4 each. His prime was just too short and unfortunately the instant he teamed up with Lindros he scored. Then the instant Lindros left he didnt score, at least he was average. If he had a Cup in those years then maybe, but Recchi is much better all around and all time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->