Recchi: I never signed up for the WHA

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMUMike

Feb 13, 2005
It seems that the WHA's list of commitments may be misleading:
"I need to know more details before I commit," Recchi said yesterday. He added that his only knowledge of the tournament came from a brief conversation with Roenick during an NHL Players' Association meeting in Toronto two weeks ago.

"He just said they were going to get something together, because we don't know what's going to happen [with the NHL]," Recchi said. "I haven't talked to J.R. since then. ... I know the WHA is real eager about getting started."
Regarding any thoughts of playing in the WHA:
"If you commit to the WHA, you'd have to commit for a year," Recchi said. "I'd never do that. I'd go over to Europe if I had to."
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/05074/471557.stm

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
"If you commit to the WHA, you'd have to commit for a year," Recchi said. "I'd never do that. I'd go over to Europe if I had to."

I think the majority of PA members think the same thing. There is no way they will committ for a full season to a league that will pay less than the NHL under any system. Certainly not before they prove to have some sort of financial stability and sustainability. Which is why the NHL isn't that worried right now...no arenas, no teams, no coaches, no players, no management and supposedly only 6 months or so from start up. Heck at this time last year the WHA was arguably in better shape. The WHA isn't a leverage point for the players at this time.

And quite frankly they can talk about not normally receiving paycheques at this time so there is no pressure on them all they want but it's BS, or it should be. Players should be worried if this drags out past the draft as they will start to worry at the prospects of missing another year of NHL paydays.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
chiavsfan said:
Ahhh yes...the UNIFIED PA strikes again. I am glad their communication skills are second to none

About as good as the league owners who are "all on the same page" when one owner says they will use replacements and another says its was not even discussed.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004

If you go to Europe, don't you also have to commit for a full season as most European clubs will no longer give "out" clauses to NHL players?

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
HockeyCritter said:
If you go to Europe, don't you also have to commit for a full season as most European clubs will no longer give "out" clauses to NHL players?

Probably yes, it would be harder for the teams to make it second season in row with NHL out clause players. Teams will have to have normal roster without these NHLers too, especially if the players sign in Europe after the season has already started. Even if the teams would sign a little less regular players, the ones they'd let go would be the 4th liners. That would be fiscally though.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
"I was misquoted, I'd rather have sex with Bob Goodenow than accept a salary cap"

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
NYFAN said:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/WHA/2005/03/15/961495.html

There is a list of players who are supposed to play in this tournament. If it is for real, the tournament should be pretty good, and the NHL better get something done this week!

What? THe NHL is going to feel pressure from a league without the investors, without places to play, without any sort of management, without any players signed for a season and without the ability or desire to pay as much as the NHL. But in 6 months they'll be ready to open up camp? I don't think so. Besides Recchi is still on that list...which is what this thread is about. From his own mouth he shouldn't be.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
There's only one player they can sign up for that tournament that will make
a difference. If they get him then there will be an interest in the tournament.If
not I don't think it will matter how many Mark Recchis they sign.Any of the
other attempts to hold tourneys of NHLers have been a disaster.They will need
a special angle and only one player can bring it to them.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
chiavsfan said:
I am under the belief that any PA member who plays in the WHA...a CAPPED league, for LESS money...is a hypocrite. But that's just me

In the same way as the owners playing the replacements. If the best league is not available, or the best players are not available, people settle for the second best ;) They aren't commiting to the cap league for life, and the owners are not going to play the replacements for more that a season. What's the problem?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
NYFAN said:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/WHA/2005/03/15/961495.html

There is a list of players who are supposed to play in this tournament. If it is for real, the tournament should be pretty good, and the NHL better get something done this week!

pretty good? :lol

I'm sure we're gonna see alot of blocked shots, big hits and scrappy play...In the end the best team will win the holy grail that is.....the WHA cup? :shakehead :lol

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
e-townchamps said:
pretty good? :lol

I'm sure we're gonna see alot of blocked shots, big hits and scrappy play...In the end the best team will win the holy grail that is.....the WHA cup? :shakehead :lol

Get Moore to coach one team (since he can't play), and Bert to coach the other. That oughtta add some fireworks.

Seriously though, it's going to be figure skating with hockey sticks, a la the NHL all-star game. Could you imagine a hit along the boards that puts your teammate back in the real league out for the year and costs you the real cup down the road?

What a joke.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
pei fan said:
There's only one player they can sign up for that tournament that will make
a difference. If they get him then there will be an interest in the tournament.If
not I don't think it will matter how many Mark Recchis they sign.Any of the
other attempts to hold tourneys of NHLers have been a disaster.They will need
a special angle and only one player can bring it to them.

That ‘one player’ you refer to would not want to jeopardise playing in the NHL for something as trivial as the WHA.

When the WHA commissioner was unveiling his brand new trophy it was still in its wrappings, that is a pretty tight ship they are running there.

Signed NHL players might be committing career suicide by going over to the WHA when a CBA is reached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->