Recap the last four years.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I don't think the Kings and Blackhawks make good trading partners at this time. Both organizations are likely trying to unload and then acquire the same type of assets. Both organizations need to look to teams like the Leafs, Preds, and Jets in the West, and any number of contenders in the East to right the ship.

I wasn't suggesting or proposing a trade - I was responding to a post by a Kings fan lamenting the Kings d-corps and I basically said I would take the King's d-corps over the Hawks d-corps - speciafically Muzzin and Martinez over the mish mash of Rutta, Gustafsson, Manning, Davidson.

Last edited:

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
hurr-durr-dog.jpg

Pretty much sums it up for me.

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
The Kings were always on TMZ during those times. Not pretty.

true. and it was a period of permanent crisis for the management, making some bad decisions as they maybe would not have done in easier circumstances. important part of troubles we see lately has roots in that period, directly or indirectly. c'est la vie.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Well now that the Kings and Hawks have both fired their coaches, I'm sure both teams will race straight up the standings. /sarc

The Hawks presented new head coach Jeremy Colliton with a loss for his NHL coaching debut. That's 6 losses in a row - 5 of them to chase Q out of town and the one tonight to make sure the new coach get's a close up look at the monumental challenge in front of him. The Hawks were down 0-4 before the 2nd period was 5 minutes old. The team defense is bad, real bad. Certain d-men are worse than bad.

Then I check scores around the league and see the Kings are keeping up with the Hawks ... or should I say keeping down with the Hawks, I had high hopes for the Kings after the Kopitar and Brown resurgence last season and the Kovalchuk signing. It looks like Kopitar's resurgent play hasn't continued into this season and now Quick is out. Sheesh! What's the vibe of Kings fans? Are you guys seeing anything hopeful to hang your hat on or resigned to a non-competitive season?

I don't even want to go into the "how the mighty have fallen" thread on the main board anymore. I thought I'd seek some camaraderie and solace from the other fan base who are seeing their once great team slowly sinking into irrelevance. I'm still clinging to the hope Toews/Kane have another Cup run in them before they hang up their skates - not this season - but maybe next season of the one after. Hope springs eternal.

Reactions: kilowatt

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Well now that the Kings and Hawks have both fired their coaches, I'm sure both teams will race straight up the standings. /sarc

The Hawks presented new head coach Jeremy Colliton with a loss for his NHL coaching debut. That's 6 losses in a row - 5 of them to chase Q out of town and the one tonight to make sure the new coach get's a close up look at the monumental challenge in front of him. The Hawks were down 0-4 before the 2nd period was 5 minutes old. The team defense is bad, real bad. Certain d-men are worse than bad.

Then I check scores around the league and see the Kings are keeping up with the Hawks ... or should I say keeping down with the Hawks, I had high hopes for the Kings after the Kopitar and Brown resurgence last season and the Kovalchuk signing. It looks like Kopitar's resurgent play hasn't continued into this season and now Quick is out. Sheesh! What's the vibe of Kings fans? Are you guys seeing anything hopeful to hang your hat on or resigned to a non-competitive season?

I don't even want to go into the "how the mighty have fallen" thread on the main board anymore. I thought I'd seek some camaraderie and solace from the other fan base who are seeing their once great team slowly sinking into irrelevance. I'm still clinging to the hope Toews/Kane have another Cup run in them before they hang up their skates - not this season - but maybe next season of the one after. Hope springs eternal.
What are our feelings? Lose for Hughes.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Are you guys seeing anything hopeful to hang your hat on or resigned to a non-competitive season?

I guess being 3-2 in their last 5 is a positive. They have to slightly improve on that pace to have a chance to make the playoffs though. 6.5 points every 5 games would probably do the trick. From here on out, if they only get 6 points every 5 games, they'll finish with about 91 points. Most likely not enough to make the playoffs.

6.5 points every 5 games is about 107 points over a full 82 game season. That's a high bar to have to play at for a team that currently sits 31st in points%.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
What are our feelings? Lose for Hughes.

I hear ya. Unless things dramatically change, it looks like the Kings and Hawks will be vying for a top-5 pick. Hughes is still probably the odds on favorite to be the 1st pick but there are a few others that look to be very good players. Hughes is small for a #1 overall pick so maybe he moves to wing in the NHL and hopes to be a Kane type player. At least neither of us are Ottawa fans - it would really suck to watch Colorado use the 1st round pick we traded to them to pick Hughes.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I hear ya. Unless things dramatically change, it looks like the Kings and Hawks will be vying for a top-5 pick. Hughes is still probably the odds on favorite to be the 1st pick but there are a few others that look to be very good players. Hughes is small for a #1 overall pick so maybe he moves to wing in the NHL and hopes to be a Kane type player. At least neither of us are Ottawa fans - it would really suck to watch Colorado use the 1st round pick we traded to them to pick Hughes.
Hughes is going to be the favorite on hfboards because his name rhymes with "lose". Pretty hard to find a word which means absolutely sucks that rhymes with Kakko.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The loss of Voynov with no return in kind is a void we have never filled, and set the path to DL's downfall. Desperate to win now at all costs, the much previously discussed trading our 1st round picks away in 15 and again in 16, along with moving some other prospects (Cernak, Miller, Zykov and McKeown) in trades with nothing viable long-term coming back, and you have the perfect storm and leaving the new GM Blake with a sinking ship depth wise. It's really seems fashionable to bag on Blake all of a sudden, but a lot of short memories around here and other boards about the mess he inherited. We've had two good drafts and a row, but it takes a while for 17-18 year old to play in this league. We'd be sitting a lot prettier if we had one of DeBrusk, Barzal, Connor, Chabot, Boeser, Aho, Konecny (all available in the 2015 draft between our pick 13th, and the 43rd pick), and one of Jones, Howden, Steel, Kyrou, DeBrincat or Carter Hart (all available in the 2016 draft between our pick at 21st and the 51st pick).

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It's just been death by a thousand cuts since June 2014, the only thing that was a really huge blow was the loss of Voynov for nothing. The 2015 draft obviously should have provided a good young player to go with a relatively young two time cup winning core, but unfortunately Dean made a horrific trade (probably his worst as Kings GM), but even then, missing out on a draft pick shouldn't sink a ship this bad. Just so many bad things happened to the Kings and it all slowly added up. Bad drafting, bad signings, bad coaching, bad luck.

Reactions: LAKings88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad