Rec League for first time. Any tips?

Bulls9220

Feb 6, 2010
New York
Its my first time playing organized hockey so I dont really know what to expect. I've been playing in clinics and stuff for 2-3 years now and I'm pretty decent skater. I'm going to play foward most likely wing but if I have to I'll play center. Any tips and thanks for the help.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Head on a swivel- know were the opposing teams players are at all times.
Keep it simple- first time playing rec, just make good passes, take your shots when you got em, and play solid defense (especially covering the dman at the point)
Learn from every game- each game learn what you did good, what you need to improve on, what you would have changed.
Just takes time. If you never played organized hockey, the hockey sense will come in good time and experience. If you watch alot of pro hockey you will have somewhat idea of hockey sense on the ice. (also Wing is the easiest position to start out on)
Good luck hope this helps

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
Skate hard and keep your shifts short but don't expect that out of your team mates. Nothing worse than a new guy that stands around on the ice, you'll get blasted by your team mates after just a couple times of doing that.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I just played my first game, and the lessons I took out of it were mostly about battling for the puck. Because that's not something that I worked on on my own. Like, you don't necessarily have to be able to swipe a puck away from somebody - you can lift/tie up their stick to screw them up and make them lose it or prevent them from catching a pass. I learned that the hard way. :laugh: Also, when battling along the boards, don't be afraid to shove your body in there between your opponent and the puck, and use the boards for leverage with your hands to push them away with your body and kick the puck with your feet. That part was fun.

Keep smiling, tell people you are new and open to advice, and have a GREAT time!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->