Rebuilding Maple Leafs attractive to free agents like Stamkos: Feschuk

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
From that article:

"The NHL Draft Lottery results will impact what the Leafs end up doing this summer than organization is letting on. Guaranteed the Toronto Maple Leafs will be drafting in the top 3 this year. Don’t believe the hype about them drafting 4th overall."

:shakehead
So basically is what that article saying if the Leafs end up with the 4th overall pick it will feel like a waste and whoever they select won't be as good compared to the first 3 picks? I think Bob McKenzie said something a few weeks ago like if you get a top 3 pick that's great, however from the 4th pick and on it's a crap shot.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
So basically is what that article saying if the Leafs end up with the 4th overall pick it will feel like a waste and whoever they select won't be as good compared to the first 3 picks? I think Bob McKenzie said something a few weeks ago like if you get a top 3 pick that's great, however from the 4th pick and on it's a crap shot.

Tbh, I just skimmed through that article, but it's hard to take such an article seriously when it doesn't use words properly. Using "guaranteed" on a 50% probability is just amateur. Not even 50%, since we don't even have last place locked up.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Tbh, I just skimmed through that article, but it's hard to take such an article seriously when it doesn't use words properly. Using "guaranteed" on a 50% probability is just amateur. Not even 50%, since we don't even have last place locked up.

50-50? I don't think anyone sees it that way. Learn math.

Toronto Maple Leafs 20%
Edmonton Oilers 13.5%
Winnipeg Jets 11.5%
Columbus Blue Jackets 9.5%
Calgary Flames 8.5%
Buffalo Sabres 7.5%
Vancouver Canucks 6.5%
Arizona Coyotes 6%
Montreal Canadiens 5%
Ottawa Senators 3.5%
New Jersey Devils 3%
Colorado Avalanche 2.5%
Carolina Hurricanes 2%
Detroit Red Wings 1%

By your logic please tell us the Odds right off the bat of EDM or WNP or CLB choosing 1st or 4th?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
50-50? I don't think anyone sees it that way. Learn math.

Toronto Maple Leafs 20%
Edmonton Oilers 13.5%
Winnipeg Jets 11.5%
Columbus Blue Jackets 9.5%
Calgary Flames 8.5%
Buffalo Sabres 7.5%
Vancouver Canucks 6.5%
Arizona Coyotes 6%
Montreal Canadiens 5%
Ottawa Senators 3.5%
New Jersey Devils 3%
Colorado Avalanche 2.5%
Carolina Hurricanes 2%
Detroit Red Wings 1%

By your logic please tell us the Odds right off the bat of EDM or WNP or CLB choosing 1st or 4th?

"Guaranteed to draft in the top 3."

Actually, the last placed team has a 50% shot of drafting in the top 3.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto

Just for you. :facepalm:

Draft Lottery Odds:
Toronto Maple Leafs 20% (3rd 23.4%%, 2nd 22.1%)
Edmonton Oilers 13.5% (3rd 17.293%, 2nd 16.875%)
Winnipeg Jets 11.5% (3rd 17.293%, 2nd 14.375%)
Columbus Blue Jackets 9.5% (3rd 14.286%, 2nd 11.875%)
Calgary Flames 8.5% (3rd 12.782%, 2nd 10.625%)
Buffalo Sabres 7.5% (3rd 11.278%, 2nd 9.375%)
Vancouver Canucks 6.5% (3rd 9.774%, 2nd 8.125%)
Arizona Coyotes 6% (3rd 9.023%, 2nd 7.5%)
Montreal Canadiens 5% (3rd 7.519%, 2nd 6.25%)
Ottawa Senators 3.5% (3rd 5.263%, 2nd 4.375%)
New Jersey Devils 3% (3rd 4.511%, 2nd 3.75%)
Colorado Avalanche 2.5% (3rd 3.759%, 2nd 3.125%)
Carolina Hurricanes 2% (3rd 3.008%, 2nd 2.5%)
Detroit Red Wings 1% (3rd 1.504%, 2nd 1.25%)

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
LOL I can guarantee that you failed math in school. :help:

edit: why tank then? it doesn't make any sense.

I may suck at math, but I am pretty good at reading what other people write. Look at that probabilities chart that's flowing out there to see why I say 50%.

When that writer says the Leafs are guaranteed to pick top 3, why should I take that seriously? No team is guaranteed to pick top 3. Even the last placed team only has a 50% shot, and every other team has lesser odds.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
meh .. this same "theory" of how amazing it would be to win in Toronto, yada, yada, yada has been bandied about since the 90's.

Money talks. BS walks.

if the leafs are going to get him, they are going to have to overpay for that privilege.

I agree. Same with any team that are better than the Leafs.
All this talk of him wanting to only win is funny. He'll need 11 million per for 7 years. that's just as important. People underrate money so much.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
meh .. this same "theory" of how amazing it would be to win in Toronto, yada, yada, yada has been bandied about since the 90's.

Money talks. BS walks.

if the leafs are going to get him, they are going to have to overpay for that privilege.

How will we know if they've overpaid?

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
I may suck at math, but I am pretty good at reading what other people write. Look at that probabilities chart that's flowing out there to see why I say 50%.

When that writer says the Leafs are guaranteed to pick top 3, why should I take that seriously? No team is guaranteed to pick top 3. Even the last placed team only has a 50% shot, and every other team has lesser odds.

If it's on the internet then it must be true! LOL

People are just adding up the odds of the other teams below the Leafs....

If you do that for all the teams not just the Leafs the Leafs have the best odds still. It's not rocket science man.

These idiots on tv say if they win the they forfeit the "BEST" odds at Matthews, but if they lose and end up last then the Leafs "have a 50% chance to draft 4th".

its just spinning news where there isn't any. LOL

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I agree. Same with any team that are better than the Leafs.
All this talk of him wanting to only win is funny. He'll need 11 million per for 7 years. that's just as important. People underrate money so much.

People really do underrate money. How often do we see contracts for UFA'S and think they're reasonable? The hometown discount is rare and only happens at the end of players careers. Money is easily the number one factor with pro athlete. This may be there one chance to really cash in.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
People really do underrate money. How often do we see contracts for UFA'S and think they're reasonable? The hometown discount is rare and only happens at the end of players careers. Money is easily the number one factor with pro athlete. This may be there one chance to really cash in.

Absolutely. What "Contender" can give him 11 million per? People say he wants to win without considering that.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
If it's on the internet then it must be true! LOL

People are just adding up the odds of the other teams below the Leafs....

If you do that for all the teams not just the Leafs the Leafs have the best odds still. It's not rocket science man.

These idiots on tv say if they win the they forfeit the "BEST" odds at Matthews, but if they lose and end up last then the Leafs "have a 50% chance to draft 4th".

its just spinning news where there isn't any. LOL

Listen, all I'm saying is you provided a link to a crappy article. I wasn't this blunt before, but you've made me repeat myself like 5 times now. This'll be my last time.

It's a fact that the Leafs are not guaranteed to pick in the top 3 like the writer said, because no team is guaranteed that. And if other peoples' maths is correct, then it's a fact that even the last placed team only has a 50% (or 48% or 52% or whatever the number is) shot at picking in the top 3.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I would honestly rank our chances of getting Stamkos a lot higher than our chances of winning the lottery pick, or even drafting in the top 3.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I would honestly rank our chances of getting Stamkos a lot higher than our chances of winning the lottery pick, or even drafting in the top 3.
Besides the draft lottery odds even if Toronto finishes last place overall with a 20% chance at Auston Matthews, I agree that they have a better chance of signing Stamkos. When it comes to their cap space they seem to have the most and Stamkos connection to Toronto will be a factor.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Besides the draft lottery odds even if Toronto finishes last place overall with a 20% chance at Auston Matthews, I agree that they have a better chance of signing Stamkos. When it comes to their cap space they seem to have the most and Stamkos connection to Toronto will be a factor.

cap wise Milan Michalek, Colin Greening, and Brooks Laich ($11,150,100) add up to pretty much what the Leafs would be giving Stamkos. All three players are UFA next season, unless they get traded at the deadline.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
cap wise Milan Michalek, Colin Greening, and Brooks Laich ($11,150,100) add up to pretty much what the Leafs would be giving Stamkos. All three players are UFA next season, unless they get traded at the deadline.
Among them only Michalek has a limited no trade clause and Ottawa had to talk him into being apart of the Phaneuf trade. As for Greening he has a modified no trade clause and Laich had a no trade clause that expired last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad