Rebirth of World Hockey Association?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostofKenKlee

I know there was talk of a new league that was going to compete with the NHL. Does anyone know what happened to the league? Is Bobby Hull still Commissioner? I googled the WHA and came up with semi pro hockey league in Florida that's publicly Traded.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
No it was all a big lie. They ceased operations.
There was talk of them reforming as a junior league but I doubt tat will ever happen

GhostofKenKlee

Chileiceman said:
There was talk of them reforming as a junior league but I doubt tat will ever happen

It's amazing how they disappeared, I was really hoping to see if a rival league could actually launch in the NA market.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Josetheodore said:
It's amazing how they disappeared, I was really hoping to see if a rival league could actually launch in the NA market.
I've got a USFL team to sell ya.

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
Josetheodore said:
Which One?

You want the New Jersey Generals? I bought them from Trump for a comb.....

The rebirth of the WHA has gone through starts and stops. The closest they have come was last Summer prior to the NHL lockout, when they announced teams (some teams even had websites) and even held drafts. Ed Belfour was one of the owners of the Dallas WHA franchise.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Chileiceman said:

It already did. They bought up a Jr B/C league in Florida and started a "super-junior" league. The official website hasnt been updated in some time now, but to the best of my knowledge, the WHA-SJ is currently operating in the same obscurity as the SEJHL did before it.

Sufficed to say, however, that the idea of the WHA as an alternative to any professional league, let alone the NHL, has long since died. They had their chance last year and completely blew it.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Resolute said:
The official website hasnt been updated in some time now, but to the best of my knowledge, the WHA-SJ is currently operating in the same obscurity as the SEJHL did before it.
No, it's operating in much more obscurity. The SEJHL advertised and kept their webpages updated so you could at least find a schedule. It looks like there have actually been some games, but even though I work in the same town as one of the teams I couldn't tell you when. It really sucks, a junior league here was a good first step towards developing Florida talent in-state.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Sotnos said:
No, it's operating in much more obscurity. The SEJHL advertised and kept their webpages updated so you could at least find a schedule. It looks like there have actually been some games, but even though I work in the same town as one of the teams I couldn't tell you when. It really sucks, a junior league here was a good first step towards developing Florida talent in-state.

Indeed. I did find it a shame that the only web presence the WHA-SJ seems to have is the infrequent updates by a friend of mine who is a Lightning blogger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad