Reassessing team Russia defense for 2022

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The common stereotype is that Russia defense is by far the weakest position in the roster, and that has been true for a long time.

But not anymore.

I personally believe Russia’s defense is now pretty competitive with other top nations, maybe not on par, but not too far behind. The centers are the weakest position now with Kuznetsov suspended and Malkin not getting younger.

Let us look at the defense closer:

Provorov - Gavrikov
Sergachev - Orlov
Zaitsev - Romanov

HM: Zadorov, Kulikov, Voynov

Ivan Provorov - #1 D on a play off favorite team, not much to say here

Vladislav Gavrikov - a top 4 D playing important shutdown role in a defensive minded Columbus

Mikhail Sergachev - Stanley cup winning defense man, one of the best young defenseman in the league, third in Tampa chart behind Hedman and McDonaugh

Dmitry Orlov - a top 2 d man on a perennial playoff team in Washington, had a strong season last year only behind Carlson.

Nikita Zaitsev - playing a top 4 role in Ottawa, mainly a shutdown defenseman, had a decent start to this year

Alexander Romanov - quickly establishing himself as a top 4 d in Montreal, likely to play first pair by 2022.

Reactions: HabsDood

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
That defence is getting better, a bit young and inexperienced though. Could be something else in 2026. Too bad Russia's center depth sucks with Kuznetsov's suspension.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
It is still a step below the other top countries, but Provorov, Sergachev and Romanov still have so much progressing to do.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
It's not quite where it needs to be, but it's looking up
I think a lot of their success, like Montreal's long term, depends on what Romanov turns into

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
It's not quite there yet, but Russia has made some serious improvements of defense for sure. It's gone from being their Achilles heel to pretty solid. Has Voynov really fallen off that much tho? Would have taken him over Zaitsev myself.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
That defense would get dominated by Canada's forecheckers.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Better than it was 5 or 10 years ago. Still miles behind canada usa and sweden.

They also have an entire stable of top young goalies here and on the way.

Funny enough there is a lack of elite young forwards now, that they used to produce like candy.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Still sucks in comparison to countries like Sweden (hedman, dahlin, karlson, Klingberg +++)
Canada (makar, pietrangelo, hamilton, parayko, Theodore +++)
USA (Carlson, hughes, Jones, werenski +++).

Probably close to Finland (who also have a bunch of young dmen like heiskanen, valimaki, jokiharju as well as ristolainen, lindell etc)

Reactions: Lambo

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It’s still a good margin worse than USA, Canada, and Sweden (providing Dahlin makes the jump in his development)

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
nothing to reassess really. I don't see much improvement in D or at Center for Team Russia since the Sochi Olympics. In tough to win a medal if the NHL goes to China in 2022.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The common stereotype is that Russia defense is by far the weakest position in the roster, and that has been true for a long time.

But not anymore.

I personally believe Russia’s defense is now pretty competitive with other top nations, maybe not on par, but not too far behind. The centers are the weakest position now with Kuznetsov suspended and Malkin not getting younger.

Let us look at the defense closer:

Provorov - Gavrikov
Sergachev - Orlov
Zaitsev - Romanov

HM: Zadorov, Kulikov, Voynov

Ivan Provorov - #1 D on a play off favorite team, not much to say here

Vladislav Gavrikov - a top 4 D playing important shutdown role in a defensive minded Columbus

Mikhail Sergachev - Stanley cup winning defense man, one of the best young defenseman in the league, third in Tampa chart behind Hedman and McDonaugh

Dmitry Orlov - a top 2 d man on a perennial playoff team in Washington, had a strong season last year only behind Carlson.

Nikita Zaitsev - playing a top 4 role in Ottawa, mainly a shutdown defenseman, had a decent start to this year

Alexander Romanov - quickly establishing himself as a top 4 d in Montreal, likely to play first pair by 2022.
The best part of the Russian D is that you have 5 to 6 elite goalies to choose from.

As a Czech, I look at the D and wonder how many guys would make Team Canada/USA/Sweden?

Czechs I think zero - maybe Hronek sneaks in somewhere.
For Russia, I think one - Provorov but I don't think any of those 3 build their D around him like Russia should/will. Sergachev maybe sneaks in a bottom pair.

I think Romanov is going to be amazing.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Samorukhov and Zamula if they develop properly should be in for 2026 and the defence will be very strong. Centremen need to be found as while there is another crop of junior forwards no one is holding up their hands for this role.

Proper coaching and balance will also be needed. No use if they play like a bunch of strangers as they have done in some recent tournaments.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Samorukhov and Zamula if they develop properly should be in for 2026 and the defence will be very strong. Centremen need to be found as while there is another crop of junior forwards no one is holding up their hands for this role.

Proper coaching and balance will also be needed. No use if they play like a bunch of strangers as they have done in some recent tournaments.
There is quite a number of interesting defencemen prospects on the horizon. Samorukov looks the most ready, Alexeyev might grow into something, I also like Dronov as a steady bottom pairing guy for the NT in the future, but there are quite a few gambles like Zamula, Chayka, Knyazev, Mukhamadullin. Homer vote to Zhuravlyov who is not sexy, but very calm and effective. If even just one or two pan out I would be happy with it.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Better than 2006 Olympics defense?

Conchar - Tyutin
A.Markov - Volchenkov
Vishnevski - D.Markov
No, but probably close. Gonchar wasn't really in his prime anymore though. And it had too few ODs with Gonchar and Markov.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
nothing to reassess really. I don't see much improvement in D or at Center for Team Russia since the Sochi Olympics. In tough to win a medal if the NHL goes to China in 2022.
If you don't see much improvement on D, then you are blind. and the thread title does not say "centers".

Improvement does not mean they are on top of the world now.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Still sucks in comparison to countries like Sweden (hedman, dahlin, karlson, Klingberg +++)
Canada (makar, pietrangelo, hamilton, parayko, Theodore +++)
USA (Carlson, hughes, Jones, werenski +++).

Probably close to Finland (who also have a bunch of young dmen like heiskanen, valimaki, jokiharju as well as ristolainen, lindell etc)
What should impress me about your Canada list? Pietrangelo, Makar, but beyond that there is a gap. I like the US and Sweden way more.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
That defense would get dominated by Canada's forecheckers.
No, it wouldn't. It might not be the best in the world, but it is not that bad either. "Canada's forecheckers" is more of a meme.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
With Provorov, Romanov, and Sergachev, they've got the pieces for a very good d-core long term. Gavrikov is good too. They're young, inexperienced, and need better depth, but they're getting better.

Their goalies are stacked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad