Reasons why you can't blame the Penguins for losing to the Islanders in the 1993 Stanley Cup Playoff

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Islanders were good that post season, the previous round they shut down Washington's scorers, only Hunter (7) and Iafrate (6) scored pretty much that series. Bondra, Hatcher, Jones, Konowalchuk, Pivonka..0 goals. Only Khristich and Elynuik had 2, like 4 other guys had 1. Arbour had his squad really thinking collectively and sharing a common goal. I don't know how much a healthy Turgeon would've changed things besides an upset in 5 or 6 instead of 7, but either way they did what they did.
I'd like to hear from a Penguins perspective, like, was there an emphasis on the President's trophy that could've caused some fatigue or aches/injuries to linger more? Were they tired from deep playoff runs the previous years?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Darius Kasperaitis and to a lesser extent, Rich Pilon got into the heads of the Penguins stars. They play that series 100 times and Pittsburgh probably wins 90+ times.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Agree that Al Arbour was a significant factor, he convinced his team they could win the series. Kasparaitis gave Lemieux fits at times.

On the Pens side I think they missed Bryan Trottier who in 91 and 92 filled the same role as Matt Cullen on the Pens last two cups. Trottier was working for the Isles that season and can`t remember now if he was also behind the Islander bench during that series but he certainly could have helped NY prepare for the Pens with his knowledge of the team.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
On the Pens side I think they missed Bryan Trottier who in 91 and 92 filled the same role as Matt Cullen on the Pens last two cups. Trottier was working for the Isles that season and can`t remember now if he was also behind the Islander bench during that series but he certainly could have helped NY prepare for the Pens with his knowledge of the team.

whoa did not know this. what an x factor.

trots, instigating the beginning (by taking jagr under his wing and generally showing ppl what it takes) and the end of the penguins mini-dynasty.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The only thing I can think of is that the pens probably didn't have the same drive, or were physically drained after their b2b cups.

I do remember as a little kid and a habs fan how happy I was for that upset.

A habs/pens matchup would have been a great storyline though. A media circus would have been awaiting Mario as this would have been his first and only playoff series against his hometown.

We heard stories of the isles enjoying the mtl nightlife a little too much, but they probably ran out of gas, and they must have been emotionally drained after the Pitt series.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
payback for 1982, an upset that if it had happened i like to think would have given the canucks a cup.

Payback for what? The Isles won in 1982 against the Pens as well. Except the roles were reversed. The Pens were the extreme underdog and the Isles were the two-time defending champs.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Payback for what? The Isles won in 1982 against the Pens as well. Except the roles were reversed. The Pens were the extreme underdog and the Isles were the two-time defending champs.

Payback for crushing the dreams of the canucks, the hockey gods decided to punish the pens for choking. By making them choke again.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->