Reasons why you can't blame the Penguins for losing to the Islanders in the 1993 Stanley Cup Playoff

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
About a decade or so ago, there was an ESPN Classic show called 'Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame.'

It would delve into reasons to not blame some of sports' most famous scapegoats- from Bill Buckner to Don Denkinger and others in between, including teams that got upset as big favorites or that had no business losing improbably/spectacularly.

Taking a page from this, I decided to tackle one of the more famous Stanley Cup playoff upsets- the Penguins losing to the Islanders in 1993.

I still consider it the biggest NHL playoff upset since the '67 Expansion era.

Pittsburgh was loaded- Mario Lemieux, Kevin Stevens, Jaromir Jagr, Rick Tocchet, Ron Francis, Larry Murphy, Tom Barrasso. And they were also two-time defending Stanley Cup champions.

The Islanders also had capable scorers in their own right- Pierre Turgeon, Derek King, Benoit Hogue, Steve Thomas, Ray Ferraro- but they lacked Pittsburgh's pedigree as well as standout blueliners or goaltending.

When they met in the second round of the 1993 Stanley Cup playoffs, the Isles- who were now minus Turgeon after a horrendous cheapshot- were given even less a chance.

But they surprised the Pens in game 1, then rallied from down 2-1 and 3-2 with clutch home wins at Nassau Coliseum to send the series to a decisive game 7.

Pittsburgh had proven clutch in must-win home games the last 2 years.

1991: Game 7 vs. New Jersey, games 3 and 4 vs. Boston down 0-2 in the series, and game 5 of the Cup Finals to Minnesota when the series was tied 2-2.

1992: Down 0-2 in game 3 and facing game 6 elimination vs. Washington, game 4 vs. the NY Rangers (minus Mario and Mullen).

The Islanders jumped out to a 3-1 lead, but Pittsburgh scored 2 late goals to force overtime.

It seemed like they were going to pull off a 1982 role reversal (loaded two-time champion Islanders barely escape heavy underdog Pittsburgh after trailing 3-1 in the third in the series-deciding game).

But it wasn't as David Volek fired the shot heard around the hockey world.

Here, I am going to give my reasons why you cannot completely blame the Penguins for arguably the most stunning playoff upset since 1967 NHL Expansion and other reasons to consider for what happened.

Best of the Rest

Overtime Magic. The Islanders' game 7 triumph was not only the latest in the history of a franchise long known for sudden death magic, but they had already coming out on top of 3 straight sudden death games in round 1 against the Capitals after losing game 1.

Had one of those games gone the other way, the series might have taken a different twist.

The Presidents Trophy- Recently, teams that finish first place overall don't always go all the way.

Since its introduction in 1986, only eight times has the winner of said trophy gone on to win the Stanley Cup.

To put that in perspective, when the team that finished first overall recieved the Prince of Wales Trophy (now the Eastern Conference championship trophy) from 1938-1967, 16 of those teams went on to win the Cup.

Reason #5- Dale Hunter.

His infamous cheap-shot on Pierre Turgeon took out the Isles' star performer (58 goals, 132 points that season).

Combined with how little chance they were given against the mighty Pens, the Islanders not only had a chip on their shoulder, but it united an Isles team that already had nothing to lose given the circumstances.

Also noteworthy is that this incident happened in a game 6 after the Islanders went up 3-1 in the series- had they closed out Washington in game 5, the Hunter/Turgeon incident never takes place.

Reason No. 4: Game 82. The Islanders would have not faced Pittsburgh in the second round had they lost on the final night of the season against the New Jersey Devils.

Both teams were tied for third place in the Patrick Division and playing to avoid the Pens in the first round. Had they lost, the Islanders not only play the Penguins in the first round, but there is no Pierre Turgeon/Dale Hunter situation and who knows how that series plays out with him in the lineup rather than out.

Reason No. 3: The playoff format. This was the final year of the old divisional postseason format, where the top four teams in each division played down to a division champion.

In a sport where postseason upsets have been historically known to happen more often than not, divisional rivalries meant a whole lot more with the stakes this high.

During the years of this format from 1982-1993, only in 1992 did none of the fourth place teams pull a first-round upset over the regular season division champion.

And not only did all four of those series go 7 games, two of those first-place teams- Detroit and Vancouver- had to come back from 3-1 deficits.

Had the conference 1-8 format introduced the following year been used here, the Islanders, who had the sixth-best record in the Wales Conference in 1992-93, would likely have likely faced the Penguins in the next round.

Not only would they have had to beat the team with the third best record- Quebec- but the Boston Bruins would have possible been less likely to be upset in the first round (they would not have played Buffalo, who actually had the worst record of the 8 playoff teams in the Wales that year).

Under that format, it would have been Pittsburgh-Buffalo, Boston-New Jersey, Quebec-NY Islanders, and Washington-Montreal.

Reason No. 2: Stanley Cup = No Guarantee. Even if the Penguins got past the Islanders, the Stanley Cup would have not been a sure thing.

In the Wales Conference Finals, they would have had to face a hot Montreal Canadiens team that had won 8 straight playoff games- 5 of them in overtime- and getting transcendent postseason goaltending from Patrick Roy.

And the Maple Leafs (with Doug Gilmour) or LA Kings (with Wayne Gretzky) wouldn't have been any easier in the Cup Finals.

Add on top of that the uncertain health status of Kevin Stevens- who suffered a nasty facial injury in game 7- and Pittsburgh would have been potentially ripe for the plucking had they survived the upset bid.

For every heavy favorite that survives a potentially giant upset early on in the postseason (Flames/Canucks 1989), it sometimes doesn't lead to a Stanley Cup at the end of the rainbow (Canucks/Blackhawks 2011).

Reason No. 1: Cup Crapshoot.

The Stanley Cup Playoffs, more than any postseason in sports, throws logic out the window. The 1993 Penguins were not the first heavy Cup favorite to crash out early (1971 Bruins) nor would they be the last (2006 Red Wings, 2010 Capitals).

Conversely, the Islanders have been on both sides of this slippery slope- crashing out as favorites (1978, 1979) while knocking down the big boys as an underdog (1975, 1980), as have the Penguins.

Their first 3 Cup winning teams (1991, 1992, 2010) finished third, fourth, and fourth in their respective regular seasons in the East- along the way, they knocked out the teams with the best or second best record in a conference four times.

In fact, the Penguins benefitted from playoff upsets in two of their Cup seasons- they did not have to play one of the top 4 teams from the Campbell Conference in 1991- Chicago, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Calgary- and instead faced an all-time playoff surprise in the Minnesota North Stars.

And in 2009, they avoided the top-seeded Boston Bruins twice. First in the East Semifinals: had the Carolina Hurricanes not stolen game 7 from the New Jersey Devils improbably late with 2 goals in the final minutes, the 4-seed Pens face the 1-seed from Beantown and round 2. And in the East Finals- they ended up not only facing the lower-seeded Hurricanes, but with home-ice advantage.

By contrast, the 1992 Penguins without home-ice advantage knocked out the league's top two teams standings-wise in the Capitals and Rangers.

One last afternote- 20 years later, the Penguins got a small dose of revenge. In an eerily similar scenario- top-seeded Pens with ridiculous talent against the hungry underdog Islanders- this time the Pens come out on top, with the series ending on an OT goal going Pittsburgh's way this time.

Those are my top 5 reasons. If you would like to contribute with any of your own or agree/disagree with my reasons, feel free to do so.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think in modern time Pens 93 strike me as the best team who didn't win the cup (they might have an argument all-time, not just modern teams). So they were heavy favorites.

But i'll never blame a team for failing after 2 straight cups. Very similar to last year Pens - if they had completely crapped out (2nd round loss wasn't all that bad) - you still give them benefit of doubt after 2 straight cups. So it's never bothered me too much historically speaking that the Pens in 93 failed.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Watching your teammate almost get killed on the ice usually has a chilling effect on a team. They are still people after all. I don't buy anyone who says they can just "focus, and put it behind them" when something like that happens right in that game.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think the one thing the Isles had in spades in 1993 that maybe the Pens didn't was grit.

Tocchet sort-of softened up a lot around this period, and Samuelsson was the best gritty-style player they had. The Islanders had a lot of gritty, chippy type of players. (This is likely why the Pens got McSorley the following season... well, briefly.)

Scott Bowman is probably the best hockey coach ever, but I'm not sure he was particularly strong at adapting on the fly. Fair enough, as he was usually right. But on occasions when he wasn't and he needed to change the game-plan, I'm not sure he was capable of doing so.

By the way, back in the late 1970s, the one team (along with maybe Buffalo) that gave the Bowman-Canadiens a lot of trouble was... The Al Arbour-coached Islanders.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I think the main reason they lost is they scored less goals then the islanders in game 7.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Isles played for Turgeon, and guys really seemed to step up. Thomas, Hogue, and especially Ferraro were great that series as were the rest of the team. Not sure if the Pens took the Turgeon-less Isles a little lightly or if the Isles' adrenaline and emotion were too much for Pittsburgh. From what I vaguely remember, the Isles didn't give much space to the Pens and at times seemed relentless in their forechecking, alot of hustle and simply finishing their checks. Lucky bounces factor in too, Isles earned alot of those bounces by how they played. The better team on the ice won and deservedly.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You can blame Pittsburgh in part but credit the Islanders. The better team doesn't always win, which is largely why they play the games. I could see Pittsburgh being a bit burned out after two Stanley Cup runs, a dominant regular season plus coming down from the emotional high of Lemieux's return. The Islanders are a great example of the Ewing theory as well.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think at that point they were wore out. Also all Lemieux had been through that yr. really no surprise to see an early exit. Also for my money they're the best team in my almost 30 yrs. of watching hockey to not win a Cup.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Reason #1: Al Arbour.

Arbour told his Islanders not to be intimidated by Pittsburgh's flashier playoff pedigree: "We're out there to beat them, we've got the plan of attack that can do it, and if there's anybody on this team who doesn't believe it can be done, I won't dress them"

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I have Game 7 of the series on dvd, and have watched it a few times. The game was just one of those nights when everything went right for one team and wrong for the other:
- That gruesome Kevin Stevens injury early in the first period had to be on the minds of the Pens players for the remainder of the contest.
- Glenn Healy probably had the best game of his career that night.
- Islanders got away with too many men on the ice on one of their goals
- Benoit Hogue somehow scored on Barrasso on a very long unscreened shot.
- Ulf Samuelsson made a terrible decision to pinch in OT, which led to Ferraro and Volek's 2-on-1 the other way that led to the winning goal.

But give full credit to the Islanders. Arbour put the the Loiselle-Fitzgerald-Dalgarno line against Lemieux as much as possible, and they did better than most checking lines did against Lemieux in '93. And while Kasparaitus and Malakhov were the defencemen getting the headlines that season, the guy who really looked impressive in that game was Richard Pilon. He seemed to always be in perfect position, and broke up some good scoring chances.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The game was just one of those nights when everything went right for one team and wrong for the other:

- Benoit Hogue somehow scored on Barrasso on a very long unscreened shot.
- Ulf Samuelsson made a terrible decision to pinch in OT, which led to Ferraro and Volek's 2-on-1 the other way that led to the winning goal.
The Stevens' injury (of course) and the too-many-men miss are indeed "everything going right" for one team, but Barrasso's whiffing on a shot from the red line and Samuelsson's poor pinch are not bad breaks -- they're just bad errors by the better team.

Remember also the Isles were up 3-1 with four minutes left. The game really should have ended in three periods with the same result, but for a miraculous rally in the dying minutes.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Reason #1: Al Arbour.

Arbour told his Islanders not to be intimidated by Pittsburgh's flashier playoff pedigree: "We're out there to beat them, we've got the plan of attack that can do it, and if there's anybody on this team who doesn't believe it can be done, I won't dress them"

didn’t even have to scratch him. he was already injured.

one of hockey’s great ewing theory cases.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Benoit Hogue, Derek King and Steve Thomas..it's like the who is who of 'solid forwards that no-one ever gets excited for'.

as i recall, beyond ferraro and thomas, who led their respective lines offensively (volek-ferraro-king, mullen-hogue-thomas, yeeesh), the big revelations were tom firzgerald, kasparaitis as i stated above, and hogue—three guys who killed their defensive assignments, and against one of history’s offensive juggernauts no less.

and glenn healy playing out of his frickin’ mind.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
How they got to a Game Seven is another story, but if you're looking for reasons why they lost Game Seven, look no further than Kevin Stevens. Awfully hard to play a game after witnessing something horrific like that happening to a guy that you love like a brother. Very difficult stuff. The Penguins are playing that game without knowing if Stevens was going to be okay.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I loved those ESPN "Top 5 reasons" segments. Too bad that station has turned into a bunch of bleeding hearts now because those were fun to watch. You didn't need the modern theatrics networks have nowadays to enjoy that.

Okay, here is perhaps the biggest reason.............Rich Pilon. Maybe it was dirty, maybe it wasn't. It was a hard hit no doubt and probably more of a collision but it was him who hit Stevens.

That being said, I don't care what anyone says, two Cups in a row or no Cups, there is no way the Pens should have lost to the Isles. If they lost to the Habs the next round with Roy playing out of his mind or if somehow Gretzky and the Kings beat them then historically you would be okay with that since all-time greats bested them. Even in 2018 after the Pens won two in a row losing to the Caps - who won the Cup - was nothing to sneeze at either. They were actually winning in the 3rd period of Game 5 with the series tied 2-2. This wasn't exactly a one-sided series. And it wouldn't shock anyone if the Pens won in 2019 again.

But Pittsburgh in 1993. That just stings. The Bruins lost to a team loaded with HHOFers in Montreal in 1971. It was a 7 game series and that Habs team added Frank Mahovlich and Dryden late in the season. You can totally understand how they lost. To a lesser extent even the Oilers losing to the Flames in 1986. But without Turgeon - or even with Turgeon - there is no way on earth the Isles should have beaten the Pens. Even factor in Stevens getting hurt. In Game 7 the Pens outshot the Isles 45-23. Lots of bad plays happened to the Pens that game. Two of the goals were weak (especially the blue line goal) prior to the overtime winner. The first goal of the game came from a giveaway in the Pens end. The overtime winner happened because of a horrific line change. To this day, even watching the footage I can't tell who was supposed to come on that didn't but that is the reason for that rush the other way. This is why you see Martin Straka desperately trying to get back to Volek, he had just gotten on the ice and that wasn't even his man.

Then other things. Mario had a clear breakaway early in the game and we all know how this will end. He drifts into the zone in typical Mario fashion and roofs a shot high. Healy is beat, but not the post. Then the Pens get two late goals to tie it 3-3 and you figure in overtime they'll finish the job. Mario had a point blank chance in front of Healy. He is looking him right in the eye, Healy probably is having a heart attack. He waits for Healy to make the move but for some reason Healy outwaits him and Mario runs out of real estate. On that play he looked...................."un-Mario" for a change.

Anyway, just a weird series and game. How can a Bowman-coached team play that poorly defensively in a series? My pick as the biggest NHL upset of all-time, and I mean it. No excuses. I don't care if the game is played on the moon, you have to beat the Isles.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I never understood how some people blamed Pilon for the Stevens injury. Stevens was the one who delivered the hit. It looked to me that the face-first fall to the ice was the main factor.
I remember Don Cherry used to bash Pilon all the time on Coach's Corner in the 90s. He was so morally offended that a big, physical defenceman from Western Canada would wear a visor.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Had Pilon not been wearing a visor and Stevens not that's just a hard hit and both guys just pick themselves up. The visor knocked Stevens out before he having hit the ice.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad