OT: Reasons to Believe

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
As a eternal optimist, I feel I have to add a few things here that haven't been mentioned.

1. 1st Training camp under Keefe and co.

2. A legitimate backup goalie that can play 25-35 games competively.

3. Partially a hunch, but I am 100% certain we acquire a legitimate RHD to play with Rielly. Hopefully Brodie or Tanev (local boys) want to come play in Toronto.

4. This has been a great season for growth for the team. Mentally this team has learned they have to be more passionate.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
1- after trying tu use offensive dman like a shutdown D and completly fail # Zaitsev, Ceci or Barrie. Dubas can't ignore leafs need a real shutdown D.

2- Campbell can challenge andersen for starting apot

3- Both of Matthews and Tavares was playing well vs columbus

4- leafs problem can be fix to become a real contender. Add 2 top 4 dman to play woth really and muzzin. Rielly need a good shutdown D younger than what we get with Hainsey. Rielly need to play free but he cant with a guy like Cody Ceci ou Tyson Barrie. That's really hurt like against columbus with No dman joining the rush until leafs trailing late in the third period. Add a guy like Manson to Rielly and Demelo( at 3 to 3,5M) to muzzin and i'm will not be surprise if leafs win atlantic division next season.

Reactions: Anthrax442

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
Just give me guys on defense who can clear the net and handle a tough fore-check.

Give me guys on offense who go to the dirty areas and have some intensity to them. I don't want to be cliche but man this team is missing a Tucker and Roberts big time. Nasty players who could play the game.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I feel like the organization is still doing very well in terms of having valuable trade assets, if not a well constructed team, but will require good management to make sure the right kind of edits happen.

This. I want change and I don't believe in this core. And I'd like to see Andersen moved

Reactions: Al14

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Matthews is turning into an absolute stud and the Leafs will have a legit selection in the all-star game for at least four more years.
Also, I think they’ll play meaningful hockey the last week of regular season.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
1. The core will mature and get better.

2. Hoping Dubas can bring in some more toughness. Guys that will battle in the corner but also have a 2-way game.

3. Hopefully a couple of RHD that can play defence and not have to rely on rookies to get this done. Sandin is 20 and TL is 21. They are still very young. Let them work their way in and steal spots. Don’t just give them a spot.

4. Hopefully they can bring in Boudreau. I think he would be huge for Keefe with his experience.

5. As much as I like Kerfoot, Johnsson and Kapanen, it’s to much money for secondary guys. Keep Kapanen and trade the other 2. Hopefully get a solid defender out of one of them.

6. Hopefully if he trades Nylander/Marner he doesn’t lose the trade, just because we need to fill a hole on defence. Hopefully it’s for fair market value. And not a hall for Larsson deal.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
With so many threads being negatively focused (rightfully so to a great deal) was looking for some optimism for next year.

What are things everyone is most optimistic about for next year and how high is your excitement level for this team next year?

Obviously a summer ahead of us with moves to ne made but are there any particular aspects of the team your truly excited for next year? Share your thoughts and voices and try to be genuine and optimistic if possible. Thanks
Matthews scoring 50, then 60 goals for the first time in his career and breaking the 100 point plateau.

And hopefully all of Nylander/Marner/Tavares/Rielly/Muzzin stay healthy as well.

Then the development of Sandin/Liljegren and maybe even Robertson at the NHL level.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Even the Montreal Canadians got to the real playoffs.

Look at Vancouver!!! They just knocked off last year's Cup champs.

Our supposed super stars, couldn't even qualify for the playoffs, never mind win a round!!!

Unless big changes are made, I don't hold out much hope for our Leafs to even make the playoffs next season. As of right now, I consider the team to be a collection of overpaid prima donnas that got paid FOR DOING NOTHING!

Mitch Marner, and his Dad, can get out of town as far as I'm concerned. He can take greedy little Nylander and his fading away from the puck tactics with him.

I'm no longer impressed with Tavares or Matthews either. Almost every single real Leaf fan knew we needed upgrades on D to be real contenders. Did Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, or especially Marner, leave any money on the table to allow upgrades anywhere? NO, they friggen well DID NOT! It was ME, ME, ME, ME from all of them!

Sorry, I'm pissed!
The Leafs were in the "real playoffs" at the time of the pause by 3 points and Montreal was in 24th place. The Leafs were a victim of the Covid cup format and Montreal was gifted to the playoffs. I'm not saying that I believe that the Leafs are winning the cup any time soon, but I am saying that the Leafs are better than Montreal.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The Leafs were in the "real playoffs" at the time of the pause by 3 points and Montreal was in 24th place. The Leafs were a victim of the Covid cup format and Montreal was gifted to the playoffs. I'm not saying that I believe that the Leafs are winning the cup any time soon, but I am saying that the Leafs are better than Montreal.
Sorry, but our Leafs did not prove anything close to being better than Montreal. The proof is in the fact that Montreal MADE it into the regular playoffs through the 'play in' round. Our Leafs bowed out to the CBJ pretty quietly IMHO.

All that Cap money tied up in 4 supposed high powered scorers and nary a single goal to be had from the Leaf Millionaires club in the deciding game. Dreadful spending from our Leafs.!.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Sorry, but our Leafs did not prove anything close to being better than Montreal. The proof is in the fact that Montreal MADE it into the regular playoffs through the 'play in' round. Our Leafs bowed out to the CBJ pretty quietly IMHO.

All that Cap money tied up in 4 supposed high powered scorers and nary a single goal to be had from the Leaf Millionaires club in the deciding game. Dreadful spending from our Leafs.!.
Sorry, but you're wrong after 71 games the Leafs were in 16th place and Montreal was in 24th place, 71 games is a better sample size than 1 best of 5 series, which Montreal lost.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Sorry, but you're wrong after 71 games the Leafs were in 16th place and Montreal was in 24th place, 71 games is a better sample size than 1 best of 5 series, which Montreal lost.
I agree to disagree.

It matters to preform when you NEED TO.!!!. Our Leafs failed, the Habs excelled to at least qualify for the playoffs when given a chance.

We'll see how both teams perform next season.

Reactions: Buds17

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Every player on this club is capable of having a better season next year. They will not start the season relying on Barrie and Ceci. No Hutch.

Reactions: ToneDog and willmma

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
This is true. Auston is 22. IMO men peak in sports at age of 28. He and our young stars will be getting stronger and better over the next few years.
Yeah that parts natural but you cannot teach tenacity, work ethics, ultimate compete, heart, a burly personality, that is in your dna or it just isn't and that is what this team sorely lacks which approx 3/4 of this fan base has observed other than just me.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Yeah that parts natural but you cannot teach tenacity, work ethics, ultimate compete, heart, a burly personality, that is in your dna or it just isn't and that is what this team sorely lacks which approx 3/4 of this fan base has observed other than just me.

So in this positive "reasons to believe " thread, your contribution is knock down my reason to believe?

If I want to read why we suck I can go to every other thread.

Thanks man

Reactions: hamzarocks

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
So in this positive "reasons to believe " thread, your contribution is knock down my reason to believe?

If I want to read why we suck I can go to every other thread.

Thanks man
what do you want to hear fables? Ok here some positive we traded Kappy for a 1st round pick 15th in 2020 a nice deep draft, oh and picked up a Swedish center 6'1 190lbs 20 yr old who competes and goes to all the dirty areas without fear, he has high hockey IQ and can skate there ya go 1 down more like that to come hopefully.

Reactions: willmma

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
istock-145839390.jpg

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Even the Montreal Canadians got to the real playoffs.

Look at Vancouver!!! They just knocked off last year's Cup champs.

Our supposed super stars, couldn't even qualify for the playoffs, never mind win a round!!!

Unless big changes are made, I don't hold out much hope for our Leafs to even make the playoffs next season. As of right now, I consider the team to be a collection of overpaid prima donnas that got paid FOR DOING NOTHING!

Mitch Marner, and his Dad, can get out of town as far as I'm concerned. He can take greedy little Nylander and his fading away from the puck tactics with him.

I'm no longer impressed with Tavares or Matthews either. Almost every single real Leaf fan knew we needed upgrades on D to be real contenders. Did Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, or especially Marner, leave any money on the table to allow upgrades anywhere? NO, they friggen well DID NOT! It was ME, ME, ME, ME from all of them!

Sorry, I'm pissed!
You're being ridiculous

Montreal did not actually make the playoffs, Montreal finished in near dead last for qualification and only got through because not only were they gifted the opportunity. They won a 5 game series, which as we saw, anyone can win. There's a reason why all the non-play off bound teams got bounced out quickly in the real playoffs like Montreal, Columbus, Chicago and Arizona, whom all combined for 5 total wins between them.

Vancouver also has no cap space, while still needing to sign 5 RFA's, and 2 UFA's. That also isn't comting Peterson who becomes RFA in 2 seasons time. They also have 7 NMC/NTC players too, which makes it harder for them to retool their team . You can gush all you want, but this Vancouver team can look drastically different next year.

I honestly think you just want to be miserable by suggesting the Leafs wouldn't make the playoffs. People said this crap last season and they were fairly comfortable in a playoff spot this season before the shutdown and thats with a head coaching change. Mind you, the Leafs were playing at over 100 point pace under Keefe but I suppose that means absolutely nothing because Montreal made a modified playoff? Really? They're goign to make the playoffs next season despite having 71 points in 71 games this year? Give me a break

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
You're being ridiculous

Montreal did not actually make the playoffs, Montreal finished in near dead last for qualification and only got through because not only were they gifted the opportunity. They won a 5 game series, which as we saw, anyone can win. There's a reason why all the non-play off bound teams got bounced out quickly in the real playoffs like Montreal, Columbus, Chicago and Arizona, whom all combined for 5 total wins between them.

Vancouver also has no cap space, while still needing to sign 5 RFA's, and 2 UFA's. That also isn't comting Peterson who becomes RFA in 2 seasons time. They also have 7 NMC/NTC players too, which makes it harder for them to retool their team . You can gush all you want, but this Vancouver team can look drastically different next year.

I honestly think you just want to be miserable by suggesting the Leafs wouldn't make the playoffs. People said this crap last season and they were fairly comfortable in a playoff spot this season before the shutdown and thats with a head coaching change. Mind you, the Leafs were playing at over 100 point pace under Keefe but I suppose that means absolutely nothing because Montreal made a modified playoff? Really? They're goign to make the playoffs next season despite having 71 points in 71 games this year? Give me a break

I'm being ridiculous, yet you say any team can win a 5 game series. Well, apparently the Habs DID and our Leafs DID NOT! Now THAT is ridiculous, given the salaries of our HIGH PRICED TALENT.

The Habs took advantage of their opportunity to qualify for the playoffs. Our Leafs clearly DID NOT!

The Blue Jackets might have been dispatched quickly, same with the Habs, but our Leafs didn't even MAKE the Playoffs.

Ridiculous is our Toronto Maple Leafs at the moment, until they PROVE otherwise.!!!.

53 years of futility and failure is ridiculous.!!!. It's time for this current team TO SHOW ME they are more than just MONEY HUNGRY hockey players.!.

So give me a break.!!!.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
I'm being ridiculous, yet you say any team can win a 5 game series. Well, apparently the Habs DID and our Leafs DID NOT! Now THAT is ridiculous, given the salaries of our HIGH PRICED TALENT.

The Habs took advantage of their opportunity to qualify for the playoffs. Our Leafs clearly DID NOT!

The Blue Jackets might have been dispatched quickly, same with the Habs, but our Leafs didn't even MAKE the Playoffs.

Ridiculous is our Toronto Maple Leafs at the moment, until they PROVE otherwise.!!!.

53 years of futility and failure is ridiculous.!!!. It's time for this current team TO SHOW ME they are more than just MONEY HUNGRY hockey players.!.

So give me a break.!!!.

It has come to the point of do you want to get paid or win.
Our young guys got paid well at the expense of winning.

Let's take Tampa as an example:

Kucherov
Stamkos
Point
Palat
Gourde
Johnson

About the same price as Leafs:
Tavares
Mathews
Marner
Nylander

Right there you are missing two extra quality forwards that can contribute on the scoresheet.

Reactions: Al14

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
If I gave you time to change my mind
I'd find a way just to leave the past behind
Knowing that you lied straight-faced while I cried
Still I look to find a reason to believe

Reactions: Cobra777

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
The Kapanen deal already started my excitement. I'm excited to see what else happens. Some positives I see:

-Matthews looked like a legit monster in the playoffs and even showed an edge.
-I truly believe Marner cares more about being a Leaf than anything else. He's young, that contract was a hefty one to live up to. We know he has the heart, we've seen it.
-Riels is legit.
-Robertson may be a gem. He's got the speed and skill to play the game. At the very least he made the possibility of dealing a Kapanen less painful.
-Spetzsky wants to be here and he showed it. He adds skill and heart for an affordable price.
-Management knows that Freddy (as good as he is) is not the answer. Will he be easy to replace? No, but it seems at least we're looking. Freddy has value.
-Management also seems to have grasped the fact that we need grit to combine with all that skill.
-Players seem to truly want to 'come home' now. That can mean nothing but good for us.
-We have a first round pick!! Yay draft!
-We have players on decent contracts that other teams will want if we need to make changes (Nylander, Johnsson, possibly Holl).
-Our GM is a year older, a year wiser and seems to learn very quickly. All good things.

It will be interesting to see what else Dubie comes up with.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
This years draft should be fun. The prospect of some more trades is also enticing.

Nylander, Marner, and Matthews will all get better in the next season or two as they fully figure out the league. Overall this year was unfortunate, but I got a lot of optimism as we move forward.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->