Reason why The Leafs will get to the play-offs next year & also a reason why not.

Schadenfreude

Armchair Expert
May 14, 2014
Torana, ON
Just like the title says, your two reasons for why & why-not The Leafs will reach the play-offs next year.

I'll go first.

But my reason for Leafs making the play-offs, is if they draft a top 3 prospect this year and work hard for it.

And the reason why against, is how hard the Eastern-conference will be to execute.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
One reason they may - goaltending. It was 20 games away from dragging them in last year. Maybe it can do it over a full season next year? (Unlikely, obviously)

One reason they won't - they are an awful team now, and given scorched earth policy, will be even worse next year. Simple.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
One reason we get to the playoffs next year?

We win the lottery and McDavid goes point-per-game in his rookie year and Rielly breaks out as a #1D.

yeah that's about all i got.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Just like the title says, your two reasons for why & why-not The Leafs will reach the play-offs next year.

I'll go first.

But my reason for Leafs making the play-offs, is if they draft a top 3 prospect this year and work hard for it.

And the reason why against, is how hard the Eastern-conference will be to execute.

They get relegated to the AHL

They don't get relegated to the AHL

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Playoffs: we trade Kadri, Rielly, Nylander etc for quick fix veterans and then bomb after round.

none: this team is burned to the ground by July 1. I think b is more likely finally.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No hope for playoffs with, or without, the current core!

We'll suck next year from the beginning, to the end of the season! Written in stone!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs could make the playoffs next year if they are buyers instead of sellers and deal away their best young assets (Rielly, Nylander, Kadri) and top draft picks for the foreseeable future, while keeping their vets around.

Leafs will not make the playoffs if they did nothing or become sellers.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Reason why we make the playoffs next season. Hunter and Nonis prove to be an excellent combo when it comes to making trades. Our young players take a huge step forward in their development.

Reason why we dont make the playoffs. After all the trades we have few veterans and the young players struggle with consistency and their development is just ok, not great.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
By the replies in this thread, time for fans to cool their jets with McDavid. If he comes here, people are already expecting an 18 year old to step in as a PPG #1 C... Wow..

Leafs are going to ruin him.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
By the replies in this thread, time for fans to cool their jets with McDavid. If he comes here, people are already expecting an 18 year old to step in as a PPG #1 C... Wow..

Leafs are going to ruin him.

Exactly this. If you think Connor McDavid is the difference between the current mess and the playoffs, the kid doesn't stand a chance here.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
the Leafs are starting a rebuild, so they shouldn't make the playoffs for the next 4 or 5 years, that's a given and should be expected by all fans. Making the playoffs in that time would be a bonus, but shouldn't be expected.

Shwaguy*

If we get McDavid we're still horribad next year but maybe the year after that

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
If we pull a 2013 Colorado or a 2014 Calgary and our prospects (Nylander, Brown, Leivo, Percy, Gauthier) all make the NHL and are really hot, combined with running a good coach and system and a hot goalie, we could make the playoffs.

If even one thing goes wrong and we don't get really lucky, we're a bottom feeder.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Reason they make it: cause they're awesome.
Reason they don't make it: <lowers head an mumbles> cause they actually suck

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Exactly this. If you think Connor McDavid is the difference between the current mess and the playoffs, the kid doesn't stand a chance here.

Oh he stands a chance here. He will have struggles and we would have zero problem with it.

Do I have a problem when Morgan makes a mistake? Heck no! We need top end talent personnel in key positions.

Socreges

Oct 10, 2013
Two words, Kyle Dubas. All accounts are the kid is a prodigy in the front office. Him advising Shanny, I see big things in one off season. :handclap:

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Why: Leafs hire Babcock, he gets Gardiner and Kadri going full pace, Rielly continues to progress, Nylander comes in and is amazing, Leafs add a few more decent UFAs like they did this off-season, and Bernier has a really good season. The 2015 pick probably doesn't matter.

Why not: Because they're rebuilding and we should expect them to be terrible for a year or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad