Realm Royale

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

The newest battle royale game hitting Steam as early access.

I think they've got a decent concept.

Looks a lot like Fortnite, but instead of building, it has a class system(warrior, mage, hunter, etc.) with unique abilities and a crafting system where you find forges around the map to make legendary weapons.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
giphy.gif

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Meh, flavor of the week. Can't wait til battle royales go out of style. Maybe solid, immersive, deep, single-player stories will be back in vogue next...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Meh, flavor of the week. Can't wait til battle royales go out of style. Maybe solid, immersive, deep, single-player stories will be back in vogue next...
The problem is the bar is set really high on games like that with games like Witcher 3 and God of War 4. Unless you've got the resources to pull off a near masterpiece, the consumer isn't gonna care.

For the moment Royale games are easy to get into with most going for that free price point and it gives that competitive gameplay people want. I love a good single player game same as anyone could, but I don't feel bad that the bulk of my gaming attention has gone to Fortnite. I may not be the greatest at it but the game is still an experience that raises my heart rate at all times and when I'm performing well, it's exhilarating. Royale games will eventually become more obscure but not just yet. I mean it's not a lot different from the mmorpg craze that took a while to die out. And the great bulk of the titles in that genre were bland exercises in marking off checklists to develop the most cost effective yet mass appealing mmorpg possible.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
decided to give this a try with my brother, won our first duos game haha

its super fun imo, its what I wanted Fortnite to be. I really like the class system. nice fun casual-style game for when we dont wanna tryhard in PUBG :D

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm not a big Battle Royale fan, but I've been enjoying it too.

I don't mind Fortnite, but I hate the excessive building, so this has been a pretty ideal alternative.

I like a lot of the small improvements and I think the ladder/elo system is a great idea(assuming it works well).

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I've been enjoying this quite a bit. I didn't like Fortnite because of the building at all but the classes are fun in this game. The games are also kind of quick at like 20 minutes a piece. Mounts making reaching circles better, bad circles less punishing, and being outside the circle tick harder all adds for better gameplay IMO.

The forge is also an awesome concept. The smoke forces action and lets you know where someone is.

I've won 4 games in duos already in about 5 hours worth of game time. We'll see if it holds my interest for more than a couple weeks which seems rare these days.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
As others have similarly brought up, the idea of building doesn't appeal to me in Fortnite, so this felt like a good alternative. I have enjoyed it a bunch so far, and got a random squad win for the first time.

I feel like my success may be short-lived when most people learn how to actually play the game, but it's fun for now still. :laugh:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Don't really like it. Interesting idea to replace the building aspect of Fortnite with a class system and abilities, just don't find it fun for that type of game. I don't like Fortnite either, as I like a more realistic shooter.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Played this Wednesday night for the first time. Very much enjoyed it, I like it a ton more than Fortnite because there's no building. A lot to be said about a game that's about fighting mechanics instead of getting shot at and making it a building competition the next second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad