Really close comparables

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
What player comparisons are so close they tend to almost get a 50/50 split in a "Who was better?" discussion. Players who played the same position and at the same time or close to it seems to be a prerequisite, with similar team success to a lesser degree.

Roy vs. Hasek seems like a real close comparison, made better since they played at the same time.

Yzerman vs. Sakic seems like another very close one again made better since they played at the same time.

I think OV vs. Jagr is another close one and Bourque vs. Lidstrom.

What about Richard vs. Hull? This one seems to come down to how weight you put on playoff success.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The cluster of defensemen that goes out in the late 2nd round/early 3rd round in the ATD.

Horton, MacInnis, Chara, Pronger, Salming, Cleghorn, Seibert, Stevens, Gadsby, Leetch...

Last edited:

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I feel like Tikkanen and Claude Lemieux have extremely similar reputations and historical impact.

Some other ones that came to mind:
Linden/Ryan Smyth/Wendel Clark
Tocchet/Roberts
Hawerchuk/Savard
Stevens/Chelios (extremely similar career trajectories, though Chelios is undoubtably a half-step above)

Reactions: Maag80

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I feel like Tikkanen and Claude Lemieux have extremely similar reputations and historical impact.

Some other ones that came to mind:
Linden/Ryan Smyth/Wendel Clark
Tocchet/Roberts
Hawerchuk/Savard
Stevens/Chelios (extremely similar career trajectories, though Chelios is undoubtably a half-step above)

a few minor quibbles (not so sure about the second one, would add stastny to your third one), but i think we're thinking on the same wavelength.

in the same spirit, potvin/fetisov?

Reactions: mrhockey193195

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Alfredsson/Hossa/Elias were pretty close for a while, not sure but probably Hossa surpassed that tier a little bit.

Frank Boucher should be very close to Steve Yzerman, possibly even closer than Sakic is.

There's another cluster of defensemen who would merit more debate: Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe, Duncan Keith, Eddie Gerard, Scott Niedermayer, Jack Stewart, Ching Johnson and a couple of others.

Yet another cluster just after that in the George Boucher range, where a crap ton of defensemen are more or less in the same tier.

Iginla/Mikhailov is tough.

The ATD makes it easy to see where the clusters are at least within same position.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
From the wingers projet : Dickie Moore, Aurèle Joliat and Cy Denneny.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
What about Richard vs. Hull? This one seems to come down to how weight you put on playoff success.
I don't think this is about playoff success as much as it is about individual performance in the playoffs. Richard was better in the playoffs than in the regular season. He scored 82 goals in 132 games (81 in 121 before his last two old-man appearances), while Hull scored 62 goals in 119 games (or 62 in 116, not counting his very old-man 1980 final appearance). Not only are Richard's numbers better, they're achieved entirely in a low-scoring period, while the back-half of Hull's NHL career was post-expansion.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
I thought my fellow hockey buddies on Facebook would light up the board with back-and-forths for this one but it generated no buzz. I was kinda shocked! I haven't seen it before, but I always wondered if Daniel Alfredsson vs Paul Kariya would be a good one to kick the tires on?

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
a few minor quibbles (not so sure about the second one, would add stastny to your third one), but i think we're thinking on the same wavelength.

in the same spirit, potvin/fetisov?
Second one was perhaps a bit of a stretch. Or, at least, a little personal. In my mind, I always group Tocchet, Roberts, and Stevens together (likely just because their final career numbers are quite similar).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad