Reality Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I hate to burst the bubble of optimism, but the coaching signings and renewals currently going on have nothing to do with a new CBA being on the horizon. Simply, the current deals expire at the end of June. Nothing more, nothing less.

WC Handy*

Teams wouldn't be signing coaches to contracts that they have to pay regardless of whether hockey is played or not if something wasn't close.

Whirlwind

Feb 14, 2005
US
WC Handy said:
Teams wouldn't be signing coaches to contracts that they have to pay regardless of whether hockey is played or not if something wasn't close.

I do not think signing coaches is a big deal. Some teams have signed contracts for announcers even though there is nothing to announce.

I think this is just a routine busy decision. Though, I still maintain that this lockout will end either July 7th or the first day before training camp is scheduled to start.
:D

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Jobu said:
I hate to burst the bubble of optimism, but the coaching signings and renewals currently going on have nothing to do with a new CBA being on the horizon. Simply, the current deals expire at the end of June. Nothing more, nothing less.
It's something more.

Firstly, you want your coaching staff set to go before you start signing/drafting players.

Secondly, teams are going to have a flood of FA's to sign. They are getting any negotiations they can out of the way now.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Its not the coaching positions that are the good sign, teams are always going to extend their coaches and other similar staff.

What is a good sign is that teams are now advertising regular front office jobs that have been sitting empty for close to a year.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Scugs said:
Yea but he is right.. They expire July 1st

Why did the Ducks hire Brian Burke that hiring had nothing to do with July 1st? Plus there is other hirings other than Coaches. IMO, these hirings are a sign but that doesn't mean the stupid CBA will announced in the next few days. I still think it will be around July 15th.

MissTeeks

Feb 1, 2005
Calgary, AB
flambers said:
Why did the Ducks hire Brian Burke that hiring had nothing to do with July 1st? Plus there is other hirings other than Coaches. IMO, these hirings are a sign but that doesn't mean the stupid CBA will announced in the next few days. I still think it will be around July 15th.

Stampede week would be a great time to announce a deal, so I can drink myself sick in celebration! :cheers:

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
flambers said:

Well, if you looked you would notice he didnt talk about any other hirings. He just made the point of the coaches, and I agreed with him.

Obviously the front office hirings and other things like that are a good sign.

Jobu said:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Jobu said:

Isles have recently posted a message on their team website,saying they are hiring in their sales office,marketing dept.,customer service dept.recruiting,community relations.

I don't think they'd start hiring,if they didn't think the lockout was coming to an end.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
CREW99AW said:
Isles have recently posted a message on their team website,saying they are hiring in their sales office,marketing dept.,customer service dept.recruiting,community relations.

I don't think they'd start hiring,if they didn't think the lockout was coming to an end.
Still need those people even if the NHL went with replacement players

Spungo*

chiavsfan said:
Spungo...is that you????

I will now recite a portion of "See You In September" by The Happenings.

See you in September
See you when the summer's through
Here we are (bye, baby, goodbye)
Saying goodbye at the station (bye, baby, goodbye)
Summer vacation (bye, baby bye, baby)
Is taking you away (bye, baby, goodbye)
Have a good time but remember
There is danger in the summer moon above
Will I see you in September

Gee, I love that little ditty.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
The Messenger said:
Still need those people even if the NHL went with replacement players

Which if they were planning to, would be well on their way to implementing such a system.

If teams were hiring becuase they anticipated using replacement players, we would already know they were using replacement players.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
flambers said:

Likely because Burke = high demand and it's well worth the investment for the Ducks to pay him even with a lockout ongoing. If they didn't, someone else probably would.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Resolute said:
Which if they were planning to, would be well on their way to implementing such a system.

If teams were hiring becuase they anticipated using replacement players, we would already know they were using replacement players.
Yes the likelyhood is very remote because the CBA is moving along but if the players vote NO to the CBA also highly unlikely but possible then replacement players here we come with all the work on this CBA being the one put in place ..

My point was people are reading too much into hirings as regardless of the type of player you still need people to help park cars or sell peanuts or sell tickets etc ..

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Jobu said:
Likely because Burke = high demand and it's well worth the investment for the Ducks to pay him even with a lockout ongoing. If they didn't, someone else probably would.

If he was in such a high demand why did it take over a year?

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
davemess said:
Its not the coaching positions that are the good sign, teams are always going to extend their coaches and other similar staff.

What is a good sign is that teams are now advertising regular front office jobs that have been sitting empty for close to a year.
Imagine going into the FA market without a GM....

That team might as well be playing scab hockey because they'd be owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad