Realistically, Which Calibre Of Defenceman Will Heiskanen Become?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I need more viewings. One game doesn't mean anything especially at the start of the year but I saw his first shift video and was impressed. Has amazing skating ability and puck moving ability, very smart decisions and has the poise of a vet.

However tools are not everything and we know how things can go. Does he put up offense? Does he get eaten alive when he faces a better team than the Coyotes? How does he play when the adrenaline finally fades and he's in game 60? We see kids have unreal starts to their careers and never reach them again.

However if he was a Leaf I would be very hyped. Not a sure thing but he can be very good.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Definitely has all the tools of an elite defenseman. The way he skates the game with his speed very few players in this league have. I haven't seen enough of him to know what his IQ is like, which is just as important as physical skills. If he has above average IQ and vision then there's no doubt in my mind he will be a star (no pun intended) in this league.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Definitely has all the tools of an elite defenseman. The way he skates the game with his speed very few players in this league have. I haven't seen enough of him to know what his IQ is like, which is just as important as physical skills. If he has above average IQ and vision then there's no doubt in my mind he will be a star (no pun intended) in this league.

His IQ, Vision, passing, and skating are his biggest assets.

I need more viewings. One game doesn't mean anything especially at the start of the year but I saw his first shift video and was impressed. Has amazing skating ability and puck moving ability, very smart decisions and has the poise of a vet.

However tools are not everything and we know how things can go. Does he put up offense? Does he get eaten alive when he faces a better team than the Coyotes? How does he play when the adrenaline finally fades and he's in game 60? We see kids have unreal starts to their careers and never reach them again.

However if he was a Leaf I would be very hyped. Not a sure thing but he can be very good.

He will really be tested on saturday against the Jets, who the Stars haven't beat in 2 years. Wouldn't be surprised if he makes a few mistakes in this one. Jets are a big and fast team and probably the toughest competition that Heiskanen could ever face in his 2nd game. Will be a big game for his development and hopefully he plays well in the likely 19-20+ minutes of ice time he gets

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I see a lot of similarities to Lidstrom/Neidermyer. To play like that when your 19....jesus. Dallas got their #1D finally.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
He'll be what Hedman is now, but Hedman will be what Lidstrom was then

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Au contraire, I was hoping the title would get MORE people in here, because I feel he's worth it.

With good reason, of course, since Stars fans were waiting for last night's debut pretty much since Miro's draft day. He's done nothing to damper expectations, in fact he's only heightened them, and while the sample size is obviously miniscule thus far, it looked pretty damn promising.

Here's his first shift (borrowed from the Miro thread in the prospects board)

Looks fantastic. Also, is it just me or does is stick blade seem to be a bit longer then normal?

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Generational, possible, but unlikely. Certainly not a realistic expectation, but I'm not even sure if that's even realistic for any young player apart from someone so clearly ahead of the pack like McDavid.

Realistically, a top 5 d-men is what I would expect at this point.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

Kid can deliver bombs. Is he just all around good? What's his weakness?

He honestly doesn’t have clear weaknesses. Well, he is that young that obviously he is still a bit raw physically. But even that isn’t a very clear weakness for him anymore. But he can for sure still clearly develop with it. He is altogether an amazing talent honestly. I’m very excited to see what he will still develop into.

Last edited:

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Au contraire, I was hoping the title would get MORE people in here, because I feel he's worth it.

With good reason, of course, since Stars fans were waiting for last night's debut pretty much since Miro's draft day. He's done nothing to damper expectations, in fact he's only heightened them, and while the sample size is obviously miniscule thus far, it looked pretty damn promising.

Here's his first shift (borrowed from the Miro thread in the prospects board)

I am Swedish and have a hate/love relationship to Finns, especially in hockey. But watching that clip, he looked exactly like Karlsson at the same age.

It's not often a rookie defenceman is leading his team in icetime.

I fear this kid will become a 70 point player with great defence. Think Duncan keith with better offence and skating.

At least a couple of Norrisses during his career.

...which really pisses me off...haha...

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Are we still gonna do this copycat thread title shtick this year?

Sighs

As to your question I don't see why he can't be a dominant number 1 defenseman.

Pretty much this.

His floor is as a decent #1 Dman, a guy that can play very well in all situations.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
He honestly doesn’t have clear weaknesses. Well, he is that young that obviously he is still a bit raw physically. But even that isn’t a very clear weakness for him anymore. But he can for sure still clearly develop with it. He is altogether an amazing talent honestly. I’m very excited to see what he will still develop into.
Thx for your insights. His first shift was really something else. It looked like he has been doing these kind of things since forever.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
I don't think anyone credible would argue he will be another Orr/Lidstrom
In what World are Orr and Lidstrom in the same tier? The latter is not even better than Bourque who is in the tier below Orr. :laugh:

Heiskanen will probably be in the Doughty tier.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I see a lot of similarities to Lidstrom/Neidermyer. To play like that when your 19....jesus. Dallas got their #1D finally.
I know this is old but we already had a #1D before in Klingberg. Miro developing gives us a shot at 2 legit #1 Dmen

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I could see him reach the Karlsson doughty tier but realistically I see him becoming an absolute minute muncher like Keith

Reactions: pbgoalie

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX

Yea, primarily with his poise, effortless skating, and stick work. Hard to gauge how he will turn out, but averaging 23 mins per game and playing both sides of special teams is a great place to start for a rookie.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
In what World are Orr and Lidstrom in the same tier? The latter is not even better than Bourque who is in the tier below Orr. :laugh:

Heiskanen will probably be in the Doughty tier.

Exactly. Orr stands alone by himself as the greatest D man of all time. No one else is even in the conversation.

Heiskanen looks to be an elite young D man who should be a perennial Norris candidate. Him, Chabot, and Dahlin are looking to be the next wave of elite D men in the league.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
He looked very good in a bad game against us last night (Ducks)

From a Ducks perspective Like a Neidermeyer maybe.
Pretty impressive looking for a young Dman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad