Realistically, Which Calibre Of Defenceman Will Heiskanen Become?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
He has been hyped by some as a "generational" player and that's garnered some backlash by people who have claimed he is being overhyped and overrated because of the market he plays in.

I don't think anyone credible would argue he will be another Orr/Lidstrom, but what can he realistically be expected to be?

Will he be in the next best tier of defencemen, consisting of players like Bourque (five Norris trophies), Coffey (three Norrises), Potvin (three Norrises), Harvey, Stevens (one of the best ever) and likely Karlsson (already two Norrises)?

Will he fall into that Pronger/MacInnis/Shore/Park/Salming/Niedermayer tier?

Will he be more of a Subban/Doughty/Hedman/Burns/Keith/Chara/Weber type? A superstar defenceman.

Will he have some big seasons but be an inconsistent star or a star with a shorter prime? For example: Zubov, Hatcher, Phaneuf, Dan Boyle, Alex Edler, Dustin Byfuglien.

Obviously he's not an Ohlund/Kaberle (a top D who would be a good 2D) or a Ozolinsh or Lowe (bottom of the barrel first pairing D).

I think he'll fall into the Pronger tier if he fulfills his potential or the Burns tier at worst. Looking for opinions and hopefully a constructive and mature discussion.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He has been hyped by some as a "generational" player and that's garnered some backlash by people who have claimed he is being overhyped and overrated because of the market he plays in.

I don't think anyone credible would argue he will be another Orr/Lidstrom, but what can he realistically be expected to be?

Will he be in the next best tier of defencemen, consisting of players like Bourque (five Norris trophies), Coffey (three Norrises), Potvin (three Norrises), Harvey, Stevens (one of the best ever) and likely Karlsson (already two Norrises)?

Will he fall into that Pronger/MacInnis/Shore/Park/Salming/Niedermayer tier?

Will he be more of a Subban/Doughty/Hedman/Burns/Keith/Chara/Weber type? A superstar defenceman.

Will he have some big seasons but be an inconsistent star or a star with a shorter prime? For example: Zubov, Hatcher, Phaneuf, Dan Boyle, Alex Edler, Dustin Byfuglien.

Obviously he's not an Ohlund/Kaberle (a top D who would be a good 2D) or a Ozolinsh or Lowe (bottom of the barrel first line C).

I think he'll fall into the Pronger tier if he fulfills his potential or the Burns tier at worst. Looking for opinions and hopefully a constructive and mature discussion.

I have never seen anything like this.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
He looks like a future Norris contender. Granted, we need a bigger sample size before we can determine his calibre. I think realistically, Hedman or Doughty could be an accurate ceiling. I think someone like Rielly is his floor, I'm pretty confident this kid will be a stud

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
I was hoping there would be a Heiskanen thread on here, just not a copypasta title, I don't want people to think it's a joke.

But, this guy is fun to watch. He's huge, fast, quick with the puck and tough along the boards. Plus, his stick looks like it covers an 8 foot parameter, with control, this guy is going to be fun to watch and suck to play against :/

Edit: Plus he's a lefty. Almost every young hyped d-man is a righty, as a person who plays left handed, this makes me excite.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I was hoping there would be a Heiskanen thread on here, just not a copypasta title, I don't want people to think it's a joke.

But, this guy is fun to watch. He's huge, fast, quick with the puck and tough along the boards. Plus, his stick looks like it covers an 8 foot parameter, with control, this guy is going to be fun to watch and suck to play against :/

Au contraire, I was hoping the title would get MORE people in here, because I feel he's worth it.

With good reason, of course, since Stars fans were waiting for last night's debut pretty much since Miro's draft day. He's done nothing to damper expectations, in fact he's only heightened them, and while the sample size is obviously miniscule thus far, it looked pretty damn promising.

Here's his first shift (borrowed from the Miro thread in the prospects board)

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
He is defence first player and always been solid as F. I doubt he will make offensive havoc a la Orr, Coffey or Karlsson. I see him somewhere between faster Teppo Numminen and Lidström if everything goes fine. Or Nierdermayer. Selke upside

Strong words but in my lifetime I have followed hockey there has been few prospects from that imo were sure things: Selänne, Kai Nurminen (yep), S. Koivu, Aki Berg (shut up)----huge time gap and now Barkov, Aho, Laine, Heiskanen and latest Kakko.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Karlsson-level hopefully. They play such a similar style it's insane

He is also very similar to Duncan Keith too though.

Please tell me people finally realize why we would not trade him for Karlsson. Especially a rental Karlsson

There's a YouTube video up there but here is a little extended version with replays:

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad