Speculation: Realistically, what would have been a package commensurate with 1-Year of EK65?

Status
Not open for further replies.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Even if they did, if that's what Dorrion decided was the best deal out there... then it is what it is.

It's no different then someone selling a house. You can ask whatever you want for it... but at the end of the day, you're only going to get what others are willing to pay. And for EK, Dorrion decided that out of the offers he was getting, SJs was the best offer. Personally I'm not really sure how someone didn't beat it, but I guess they didn't or PD would have moved EK somewhere else.

I truly believe that the offer Vegas made last year would have been better than this... But Dorion held out for better and now accepted the best offer.

I also dont think he's re-signing in SJ otherwise that would have been worked on already and announced. If I'm EK and I see the chance to be the first max contract in the league... I wait til UFA and take it.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
*emerges from bog
Let's talk about state taxes!

giphy.gif

Reactions: Kranix

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
SJS didn’t even lose a significant roster player for a top 5 franchise player - what the f*** is that?

Even Patches got a better return, and he’s a lesser player.

We didn’t even get a decent defender back for crying out loud.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Sure, we all think they got fleeced. But maybe we are all just out of touch with the value people who do this for a living place on these things.

The reality is this is either

a) the best return he could get or b) the best return he could get based on stipulations he enforced (i.e. didnt want to trade in division, or whatever).

You're never going to get anyone to agree what his realistic value is - because you had people saying point/sergachev+ from Tampa, etc. Wanna know what we thought hed get? go read the old mega threads.

Had Craig Button on my radio show yesterday. I asked him if Dorion overplayed his hand, considering the deal that Bergevin got for Pacioretty. He said he didn't think he overplayed his hand, but limited himself way too much by wanting to send him out west, which he didn't understand why it had to be out there.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I didn't expect OTT to get what they were asking for, but wow... Losing the best offensive defenseman in the last decade, and not only do you not get a significant roster player in return, but no first round pick in the next draft?

One of the worst deals in recent memory imo.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Why would he prefer Dallas to San Jose?

Methot and Spezza play there and he seems to really like playing with friends.

Fellow Swede buddy John Klingberg plays there on the blue line and is really good, young and signed to a really good deal allowing for cap flexibility.

Dallas has multiple superstars of their own (Seguin, Klingberg and Benn) who are younger than SJ's and a younger team overall with much better prospects looking to make the step in a year or two that would look to be a competitive team through the entire duration of an 8 year stay instead of about half of it.

Dallas is in a state with no income tax whereas SJ is in one with high income tax. Dallas could offer him just as big a contract as SJ with more take home pay.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Had Craig Button on my radio show yesterday. I asked him if Dorion overplayed his hand, considering the deal that Bergevin got for Pacioretty. He said he didn't think he overplayed his hand, but limited himself way too much by wanting to send him out west, which he didn't understand why it had to be out there.

Right - but thats kind of the issue. His realistic value is what he really got. inclusive of the restrictions the seller put into place.

Want to speculate what he could have gotten without restrictions? Good luck. There's been about 4 mega threads worth of that since before the trade deadline passed, with values as widely ranging as Point/Sergachev + to Prospect +1st +1st if he re-signs. The answer to this thread lies somewhere in one of those, and what he was traded for wont change the 'what-if' valuations in those threads.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
I would have given Foote (top prospect), Cirelli and Raddysh (top 5 prospect) along with 2020 first round pick, 2021 first round pick and a 2019 second. (2019 second upgraded to 2019 first if Tampa doesn't win the Stanley Cup; if they do, that first belongs to the NYR).

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Right - but thats kind of the issue. His realistic value is what he really got. inclusive of the restrictions the seller put into place.

Want to speculate what he could have gotten without restrictions? Good luck. There's been about 4 mega threads worth of that since before the trade deadline passed, with values as widely ranging as Point/Sergachev + to Prospect +1st +1st if he re-signs. The answer to this thread lies somewhere in one of those, and what he was traded for wont change the 'what-if' valuations in those threads.

All I'm gonna say is that a more competent general manager could have gotten more in return, I don't think there's really any argument to that. Craig didn't say anything to bash Dorion, but was very critical of the deal, for what it's worth.

As for the premise of the thread, I do agree that it's stupid and pointless. The trade happened, time to give it a rest.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I think it's safe to assume that he would have brought back more value had Dorion not kept him off limits from half the league. Not sure if that was his call or Melnyk's, though.

I've heard the same thing, Dorian had good offers but he blocked the eastern teams out. Which if true, should only piss Sens fans off even more.

I'd put money on him testing free-agency and ending up back in the east.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
His fair value is what he got. That's the definition of fair value, what he can get on the market. If you want people to tell you he should have gotten more that's fine, but what he got was the fair market value with the restrictions Dorian likely out on himself(trading him West)

Trades are not auctions they are negotiations.

Your statement assumes every GM in the league would get the same return under a similar circumstance- which is incredibly false.

There are terrible negotiators and great negotiators. Dorion is horrible at everything

Every trade does not reflect fair value - they reflect the ability of the trading party to negotiate and judge the value of assets in the league

Reactions: Name Nameless

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
There's some 5-10k posts of speculation about this already on this forum if you need a rehash, and a trade thread for discussing for what he actually returned and how that might stack up to other offers that may have been out there.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->