Realistically, What Can Morgan Rielly Become at this Point?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think he is a good 2nd pairing guy. Rielly just doesn't have the shot or evasiveness. He is also a bit lacking defensively under pressure.

Good player, 2nd pairing and no shame in that.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think Rielly can be better ...

Not sure he has the processing power to become anything more than an entry level #1.

Do you think Rielly is partner dependant?
For the top tier it doesn't matter.
With the right partner, Rielly jumps up as a top pair.
Without the right partner, he is the top 4. Prone to some mistakes mixed with good stretches.

Is he a better compliment or carry the pair D?

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
A top pairing D though perhaps not the prototypical cornerstone

still think he has more to bring and baffled why people would write him off at 23

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Do you think Rielly is partner dependant?
For the top tier it doesn't matter.
With the right partner, Rielly jumps up as a top pair.
Without the right partner, he is the top 4. Prone to some mistakes mixed with good stretches.

That means he is a #3 to me. If you pair your best with your 3rd best on the top. 2nd best with the 4th on the 2nd pair. I don't think he is that though. I think he is leaning more 2nd than 3rd best on the team and can support the 2nd pairing. The competition is just a bit much for him when playing against elites.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That means he is a #3 to me. If you pair your best with your 3rd best on the top. 2nd best with the 4th on the 2nd pair. I don't think he is that though. I think he is leaning more 2nd than 3rd best on the team and can support the 2nd pairing. The competition is just a bit much for him when playing against elites.

After your clear cut number 1, I have trouble assigning guys #2,3,4.
I prefer to classify as top 4 defender. You could have 2 Riellys, a Doughty and a Zaitsev.
Someone is playing with Doughty and it doesn't make them both number 3s.

Phaneuf or Methot could play with Karlsson. Hard to say if one is a 2 or a 3 in reality. This year Oduya could play with Karlsson. In LA you have Muzzin/Martinez that could play with Doughty.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
After your clear cut number 1, I have trouble assigning guys #2,3,4.
I prefer to classify as top 4 defender. You could have 2 Riellys, a Doughty and a Zaitsev.
Someone is playing with Doughty and it doesn't make them both number 3s.

Phaneuf or Methot could play with Karlsson. Hard to say if one is a 2 or a 3 in reality. This year Oduya could play with Karlsson. In LA you have Muzzin/Martinez that could play with Doughty.

Fair enough. League wide I just think he would be between most teams 2-3 guy. Jake probably leans more #2 at the high end where he could be the #1 on a couple teams, he just gets by as a 1, barely.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I don't see him ever getting near a Duncan Keith anymore, but he should still be a solid top pairing D like Gardiner. He had ups and downs last year but it would certainly help his development of he wasn't paired with borderline AHL players. Keith always had competent partners. Even Gardiner has had better help. Eventually our D squad will be deep with 2-4 level D and he will have no more excuses.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
:nod:

I understand the critique of Rielly but to say he's a finished product already seems a little premature.

Heading on 400 games I think its pretty safe to say making the massive jump to the next level would be unprecedented.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
He is what he is. Theres no more progression left.

Morgan is 23.
Morgan Rielly is 23.

He is only 20 fricking 3!

Most people agree D men dont plateau until they are 27ish.
Saying he has nowhere else to go is in direct contradiction to NHL history haha.

Not saying he is gonna jump and become the dominant #1 D man we want, but he should continue to progress year over year for the next half decade.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Heading on 400 games I think its pretty safe to say making the massive jump to the next level would be unprecedented.

I think most can agree we are missing that stud defender.
The Matthews D equivalent.
Then Rielly,Gardiner,Zaitsev combined makes us solid regardless of number assigned.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Morgan Rielly has never projected to anything more than a #3 defenceman.

Nor does he play like more at an NHL level. He basically has no elite tools. He does most things well. There really wasn't much better to draft at the time, either.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think most can agree we are missing that stud defender.
The Matthews D equivalent.
Then Rielly,Gardiner,Zaitsev combined makes us solid regardless of number assigned.

I don't even care about a studd defender if we have an O and stable D. I was perfectly happy with Jake and Z. I think they were neutral presences on the ice against most teams. They did not cost us games or win us games. Rielly on the second pairing was using his legs more and was doing great at helping to win games while not bleeding goals against.

Jake Z
Morgan Hainsey

This looks to me like an upgraded and compent top 4. In the event of injury Carrick can slide up. One of our farm D will likely be an upgrade to the third pairing as well.

Looking forward to this season.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

If he plays all the games this season he's still not at 400 games and I think 400 would be a good time to take a solid assessment of his game.
Unprecedented is hyperbolic.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If he plays all the games this season he's still not at 400 games and I think 400 would be a good time to take a solid assessment of his game.
Unprecedented is hyperbolic.

Oh come on. Between international playoff and this season completed, just call it 400. 312+6 now. Randy said 300 was the mark so now if we say Randy was dumb and shift the goal posts sure ok , 400 now and not a game shy.

If completing 20% more pro games translates into going from Morgan to Doughty I will eat my boot.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Oh come on. Between international playoff and this season completed, just call it 400. 312+6 now. Randy said 300 was the mark so now if we say Randy was dumb and shift the goal posts sure ok , 400 now and not a game shy.

If completing 20% more pro games translates into going from Morgan to Doughty I will eat my boot.

Doughty scored 76P in 67GP in his draft-1 OHL season.

Rielly scored 28P in 65GP.

Rielly looked decent in his draft season (18P in 18GP), but clearly that was inadequate sample size, and in no other season did Rielly compare to Doughty. It was a silly comparison then and now.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I think a very safe bet is a solid solid number 2. a number 1 not far out of reach people always forget how young he is . Dman usually dont hit their full stride until around age 24-25

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Morgan Rielly has never projected to anything more than a #3 defenceman.

Nor does he play like more at an NHL level. He basically has no elite tools. He does most things well. There really wasn't much better to draft at the time, either.

His elite tool is skating the puck out of the D zone and controlled O-zone entries, which he's one of the tops in the league at when it comes to D-men. He's our best d-men in terms of creating a rush/scoring chance the other way.

He's basically the modern NHL PMD except he doesn't have a plus point shot and is a work in progress defensively.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

His season looked good last year then injury effect. Fully ligit to give this year to see how it goes.
I consider international games as part of development just like practice is.
I think your pushing your agenda bit here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->