Realistically... A coach can't last beyond 20 games if his team only wins 3 games...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't think he is being judged by any measure, frankly. The point, clearly, is to obtain the 1st overall pick this year. Everything else, from Regier's perspective, seems to be immaterial. He will be disposed of either in the offseason or next year.

I think he's being judged. It's just that the framework for judging him isn't the same as judging a coach of a team that is trying to compete right now and not building to compete down the road.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Bothered with the fact there is no competing even...

The interesting thing to debate around that topic is how much of that is due to Rolston and how much is due to the fact that everyone in that locker room knows that the team is built to lose so they don't really care?

Rob Ray talked about how Vanek wasn't selling out for the team prior to the trade and he looked like he was trying to stay healthy, instead.

If that is the way that a Co-Cap is playing....

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Bettman should be sympathetic to the plight of the Sabres and let Connor McDavid, enter the draft a year early. :P However, that being said. I believe that Regeir would have to go before Rolston. Though they are handcuffed to each other in a lot of aspects.

Ron C.

Sponsor
Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
Rolston is exactly the right man for the job... of captaining this ship right into the iceberg.

Reinhart and McDavid are waiting on the lifeboats with a cold, frosty one for the patient fan.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Bettman should be sympathetic to the plight of the Sabres and let Connor McDavid, enter the draft a year early. :P However, that being said. I believe that Regeir would have to go before Rolston. Though they are handcuffed to each other in a lot of aspects.

People said that Regier was handcuffed to Ruff.

That theory had a lot more legs than Regier being handcuffed to Rolston.

Regier going might lead to Rolston's depature being hastened. But, Rolston being the head coach is a part of the rebuilding effort that Pegula et al bought into.

If Pegula doesn't have the stomach for what he set in motion, then perhaps Rolston's exit could happen sooner than planned. But, I expect Rolston to be around at least through this season, most likely through next season, and perhaps beyond that.

He is the Tank Commander.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Rolston is exactly the right man for the job... of captaining this ship right into the iceberg.

Reinhart and McDavid are waiting on the lifeboats with a cold, frosty one for the patient fan.

What if it's Ekblad (or Nylander or Bennett or ____) and Eichel (or Strome or Barzal or Konecny or _____)?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm starting to understand and feel better about the no-search for a HC and handing the job to Rolston. If the front office had absolutely no expectations of being competitive, wouldn't it be a big phony dog and pony show to pitch the organization to various candidates? If all they needed was a development coach (not sure Rolston is the best, but that's not necessary to my point) then why bother searching very hard beyond the one they already had? All the seasoned, in-game tactical knowledge a veteran HC has to offer would be mostly wasted, taking them up the rankings but not far enough for a playoff spot. That's a continuation of mediocrity.

I think Buffalo would look better making a big pitch with Pegula money for an established HC once the team looks like it has ready-made potential, not step one re-building. It's probably best that Rolston stays until after the 2015 draft, and then big names can be entertained without them staring at a couple basement dwelling seasons to deal with. I know there's no guarantee of how ready the team will be to even be a playoff contender, but at least there should be a few blue-chippers in the system by then to attract some bigger names.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
But... that's exactly what you are saying.
Reiger didn't get market value for Roy or for Sekera.

Ok, over what he sees as market value, does that clear it up? Or what about the idea that his attitude to trading, ignoring specifics, is broken. Does that help? Or the Sabres record since his been here. Or our record since he got a budget from Pegula. The list goes on.

Are you defending Regier or just trying to pick holes in parts of my post? What about the overall idea that no coach will help this team until the GM and whatever crew he has are gone?

Sheesh.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK

Ah the Columbus route to success. I see their names in the final so often I can't imagine why we didn't do it sooner...

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
People said that Regier was handcuffed to Ruff.

That theory had a lot more legs than Regier being handcuffed to Rolston.

Regier going might lead to Rolston's depature being hastened. But, Rolston being the head coach is a part of the rebuilding effort that Pegula et al bought into.

If Pegula doesn't have the stomach for what he set in motion, then perhaps Rolston's exit could happen sooner than planned. But, I expect Rolston to be around at least through this season, most likely through next season, and perhaps beyond that.

He is the Tank Commander.

Pegula came in and said 'a cup within 3 years' or something like that didn't he? This rebuild seems to be Regier's child soley, and his given the room because his a genius in the Pegula crews eyes.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Columbus struck out or had very bad luck (one died) with most of their draft choices.

And we're different because? This route still has bugger all guarantee of success and lets face it how many years of this will people take before they just stop turning up? Then what? This is an accountants path to success.

All recent cup champs or successful teams have built well through the draft, true. They have also used trades, free agency and a fierce winning attitude to get there. We are planning on high picks = success from what I see.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
The interesting thing to debate around that topic is how much of that is due to Rolston and how much is due to the fact that everyone in that locker room knows that the team is built to lose so they don't really care?

Rob Ray talked about how Vanek wasn't selling out for the team prior to the trade and he looked like he was trying to stay healthy, instead.

If that is the way that a Co-Cap is playing....

there isnt a damn thing any coach can do with this roster, its built to lose, the players know it they aren't gonna try, RonRon knows it he aint concerned, they came out and told us so it was gonna happen so they dont care, this is their plan

relax, put your feet up, and find something to cling to because theres a lot of losing to come and no one in blue and gold is gonna lift a finger to stop it, there might as well be a "McDavid or Bust" banner hanging over the French Connection in the plaza

we are beyond the tank thread, we are officially cruising to hell in an 80 ton steel monstrosity, designed by Darcy, bought by Terry, and driven by RonRon,

WorkingAs-Intended.gif

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Agreed. The positive steps they took at the end of last season -- bouyed by the goaltending having an unsustainably high ES save percentage -- have evaporated. Logical accountability has gone out the windows and off the roof. D-zone structure is so lacking I wonder at any sort of implementation. Clearly he's not working with players on what he wants them to do in a constructive fashion as has been pointed out by various player quotes (Girgensons comment about "making plays" regardless of what they were being told sticks out). Losing happens and this talent-light team is going to lose games.

But they could be working on fundementals that build habits for the future. Instead, they appear disorganized, demoralized and checked out. I fear for what habits some of the kids are going to pick up as this season progresses.

It is depressing. But if you read some on here it doesn't matter :shakehead

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Statistically speaking its long odds that we draft both due to the draft lottery. In fact the odds aren't that great we get either of them regardless of how bad we are. But I know most have become delusional with what we will get out of this "tanking". So I know this will fall on deaf ears.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
Statistically speaking its long odds that we draft both due to the draft lottery. In fact the odds aren't that great we get either of them regardless of how bad we are. But I know most have become delusional with what we will get out of this "tanking". So I know this will fall on deaf ears.

theres a large difference between being onboard for the tank and being resigned to the fact that theyre going to tank, but I guess that will fall on deaf ears

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
theres a large difference between being onboard for the tank and being resigned to the fact that theyre going to tank, but I guess that will fall on deaf ears

You are still out to lunch on my stance but thanks for trying.

I'm well aware that this team will suck for the foreseeable future. I'm also happy with the stockpiling of assets as we've moved out established players. I expect another infusion the next two drafts of more young talent due to the amount of 1st and 2nd rounders we have now and will likely accumulate with future moves. I have a ton of faith in Regier to acquire as many assets as possible in future trades and I also have a ton of faith in Devine to get the most out of those picks regardless of where they are.

My issue is with how the young players/prospects are currently being developed (or not) at the moment. Many on here are too giddy about how high we will draft to care about that. Its due in large part to the feeling that we will draft a franchise players, blue-chipper, etc. in each of the next two drafts so its all good. Basically nothing matters with the current youngsters because our saviors will be drafted the next two years. Well thats possible but not likely. What is highly likely is we add a lot of talented kids. This will be a great thing and help the rebuild but I don't get the sense many are looking at things this way. Its the next two top picks will save the franchise for many.

Nor do they realize that to realistically get all the pieces needed will require moving many of the recently acquired and future assets in trades, occasionally with overpayments. Part of finding out what we will need is developing the current crop of young players/prospects to see what we have in the first place. I don't see Rolston doing that. So I'm not happy about him being here nor am I happy with how some of the youngsters are being handled period (like a few should be sent elsewhere) The fact that he will lead us to a top 2 pick in a draft year with no discernible franchise players in it does not trump my concerns.

EDIT: and who the hell is in that pic shaking his head? :laugh:

Last edited:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

I'm well aware that this team will suck for the foreseeable future. I'm also happy with the stockpiling of assets as we've moved out established players. I expect another infusion the next two drafts of more young talent due to the amount of 1st and 2nd rounders we have now and will likely accumulate with future moves. I have a ton of faith in Devine to get the most out of those picks regardless of where they are.

My issue is with how the young players/prospects are currently being developed (or not) at the moment. Many on here are too giddy about how high we will draft to care about that. Its due in large part to the feeling that we will draft a franchise players, blue-chipper, etc. in each of the next two drafts so its all good. Basically nothing matters with the current youngsters because our saviors will be drafted the next two years. Well thats possible but not likely. What is highly likely is we add a lot of talented kids. This will be a great thing and help the rebuild but I don't get the sense many are looking at things this way. Its the next two top picks will save the franchise for many.

Nor do they realize that to realistically get all the pieces needed will require moving many of the recently acquired and future assets in trades, occasionally with overpayments. Part of finding out what we will need is developing the current crop of young players prospects to see what we have in the first place. I don't see Rolston doing that. So I'm not happy about him being here. The fact that he will lead us to a top 2 pick in a draft year with no discernible franchise players in it does not trump my concerns.

I agree with all of this, with the caveat (as I've stated before) that I don't find Rolston's performance conclusive yet. If his methods haven't yielded better results or adapted at the half season mark, I could say can him then. I absolutely want to tank within the framework of development, and that means teaching the kids how to play the game, even as they predictably play like 18 year olds (ie badly).

Coming from one of the staunchest and earliest pro-tankers on the board to a guy who's often seen arguing with them, this is a nice commonality. I credit you for stating your position so well.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I agree with all of this, with the caveat (as I've stated before) that I don't find Rolston's performance conclusive yet. If his methods haven't yielded better results or adapted at the half season mark, I could say can him then. I absolutely want to tank within the framework of development, and that means teaching the kids how to play the game, even as they predictably play like 18 year olds (ie badly).

Fair enough.

Coming from one of the staunchest and earliest pro-tankers on the board to a guy who's often seen arguing with them, this is a nice commonality. I credit you for stating your position so well

Thank you

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012

EDIT: and who the hell is in that pic shaking his head? :laugh:

I have no idea what your stance is, so you sir are absolutely correct, I posted about not caring and you cared about it so I figured what the hell

The last 14 years of Bills football has taught me how to handle this season, completely numb to it, I laugh when they suck, I drink when they're lifeless, I post here during the 5 minutes a game they resemble a hockey team, I wear all my gear on gamedays, and crack jokes when my lab partner from NJ thanks me for sucking so much cause no ones paying attention to how bad the Devils are

I have no idea whose head it is, I google working as intended and saw a tank in a ditch and thought "this sums up the Sabres perfectly... OH MY GOD THERE'S A DUDES HEAD SAYING SOMETHING SARCASTIC!"

When you mix the on ice product, the organizations management, the seemingly endless reign of Darth Regier, and then threads like this you end up with a dry, sarcastic comedy of epic proportions.

1) on ice product blows but hey the kids are here we can watch them
RonRon benches at least one a game
2) They finally fired Lindy
We get a guy that cant find a good coaching move with both garden gloves (I mean seriously? deeply intellectual mental patient who would fit in with the cast of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest")
3) Starting goaltender having a great season
if he had played like this in any of the last 3 seasons we wouldn't be rebuilding right now, o btw UFA and probably gone soon
4) Brand new owner, fan, passionate
accidentally/intentionally trolls media, fans, free agents (beer shelves and TVs)
5) Ancient evil incarnate Darcy Regier
not only extended but told he gets to rebuild the mess that he rebuilt from a mess that he rebuilt from a mess that was contending for cups when he first got his hands on it, hasn't screwed up since we get her :p::sarcasm::p:
6) Guy on the internet points out that some teams that tank are unsuccessful
BECAUSE THEIR PROSPECTS DIE, LOL!

This is like borderline genius writing. I'd pay to see this movie, if ya know, the industry didn't send me copies for free (thanks firstrowsports)

edit: I guess you think Ronnie is ruining the kiddies, whatever, after Darcy screws up this rebuild they all be shipped out for picks and Teddy will apologize and say how unlucky theyve been, actually if the rebuilds fails AND a prospect dies "It wasn't Darcy's fault, McDavid died when Zemgus crashed his Go-Cart into him during a team building outing, so we extended Darcy 5 more years. He hasn't done anything wrong since we got here."

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I have no idea what your stance is, so you sir are absolutely correct, I posted about not caring and you cared about it so I figured what the hell

The last 14 years of Bills football has taught me how to handle this season, completely numb to it, I laugh when they suck, I drink when they're lifeless, I post here during the 5 minutes a game they resemble a hockey team, I wear all my gear on gamedays, and crack jokes when my lab partner from NJ thanks me for sucking so much cause no ones paying attention to how bad the Devils are

I have no idea whose head it is, I google working as intended and saw a tank in a ditch and thought "this sums up the Sabres perfectly... OH MY GOD THERE'S A DUDES HEAD SAYING SOMETHING SARCASTIC!"

When you mix the on ice product, the organizations management, the seemingly endless reign of Darth Regier, and then threads like this you end up with a dry, sarcastic comedy of epic proportions.

1) on ice product blows but hey the kids are here we can watch them
RonRon benches at least one a game
2) They finally fired Lindy
We get a guy that cant find a good coaching move with both garden gloves (I mean seriously? deeply intellectual mental patient who would fit in with the cast of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest")
3) Starting goaltender having a great season
if he had played like this in any of the last 3 seasons we wouldn't be rebuilding right now, o btw UFA and probably gone soon
4) Brand new owner, fan, passionate
almost intentionally trolls media, fans, free agents (beer shelves and TVs)
5) Ancient evil incarnate Darcy Regier
not only extended but told he gets to rebuild the mess that he rebuilt from a mess that he rebuilt from a mess that was contending for cups when he first got his hands on it

This is like borderline genius writing. I'd pay to see this movie, if ya know, the industry didn't send me copies for free (thanks firstrowsports)

Now that sir is an epic and awesome post!!! :laugh: :handclap:

My apologies for jumping down your throat.

And I still want to know who that was in that tank gif :)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Why would he attempt suicide?

Wouldn't he be better off playing here while miserable and collecting his money?

I don't get it.

I was being facetious.

There's not a lot you can do in terms of making players happy when losing makes you "miserable" and you're basically playing on a ****** team. He knows the deal here..I'm sure he doesn't like it but I'm sure he knows better than to get worked up about it as well.

I see it as a non-issue anyways...as I see him being moved (hopefully) at the deadline.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I was being facetious.

There's not a lot you can do in terms of making players happy when losing makes you "miserable" and you're basically playing on a ****** team. He knows the deal here..I'm sure he doesn't like it but I'm sure he knows better than to get worked up about it as well.

I see it as a non-issue anyways...as I see him being moved (hopefully) at the deadline.

I know. I was being an *******.

I hope you're right. Wouldn't mind him in the fold, to be honest.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

That "guy" was me, and I know you're just being funny, but at least quote me accurately. I said that Columbus both struck out (ie - their own fault) with draft picks, and had bad luck. I said he died, but I think I got him confused with another draftee that simply bolted back to Russia, just can't remember his name.

FWIW, I know very well there is no guarantee with tanking and collecting young talent, but Columbus is not a good comparison. They have been bad for over a decade, and Buffalo has a long way to go to lose as many games in that span of time.

You may continue with the sarcasm...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad