Realistically... A coach can't last beyond 20 games if his team only wins 3 games...

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Right?

This is unfathomably bad.

Our loss to Los Angeles needs to be Ron Rolston's last game as the head coach.

Sorry, but it's time to end the madness. I'm not being dramatic, I'm not overreacting. I'm stating a basic fact at this point. This record is despicable. Bite the bullet Darcy, admit you ****ed this one up hardcore. I'm willing to let it go if you address it NOW.

GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE. PLEASE.

77009581-590x392.jpg

Ennur lain, SIT.

ron-rolston-1_1.jpg

I SAT THE HAHJJZIE LINE LOLZ

maxresdefault.jpg

Things I hate: 1) line matching 2) geeks lol 3) last change 4) identity

RolstonHead.jpg

They're outta Poland spring? :shakehead how bout aquafina?

rolston_620-thumb-140xauto-275992.jpg

I CANT SEE ANYTHING WITOUT MY SPEX

227343_es.jpg

Reesto played well, let's scratch him for some purspectuv. It's part of the PRAHCESS LOLZERS... ACHOO

238378_eb.jpg

WS'AT, PAWL? I don't get yer queschin

xRolston5.jpg.pagespeed.ic.4qw93vvhgu.jpg

I've GOT IT! If I drop the second half of the name, and add an "E-R" or a "zee" to the end of it, it's a frikkin kick ass nickname!!

cq5dam.thumbnail.320.180.margin.png

My razor lacked kumpeet, had a lo kumpeet levul. So I scratched it. Gave it a littl purspectuv. It'll baouwnssback furshur

36517057001_2088792625001_900944612-158-1357967696045.jpg

SELFIE SATURDAY

448335_eb.jpg

You got a question? SUGAR. GIVE ME SUGAR. IN WATER.

MOAR.

MOAR.

MOAR.

edgar-bug_0001.jpg

Last edited:

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Right?

Sorry, but it's time to end the madness. I'm not being dramatic, I'm not overreacting. I'm stating a basic fact at this point. This record is despicable. Bite the bullet Darcy, admit you ****ed this one up hardcore. I'm willing to let it go if you address it NOW.

If Edmonton and Florida weren't almost as horrible, there'd be some room for more wins. Granted, those teams have a few more points than the Sabres and (amazingly) 3-4 less games played, but there is really very little margin for error before Buffalo finds itself a few teams from the bottom.

The real danger this season is the chance that the Sabres somehow overtake some teams in the standings. That makes all the suffering thus far a lot less worth it. Hire a coach who actually knows what he's doing, and this motley crew may start winning some more games.

Are fans gonna really feel that much better finishing 22nd-24th in the league instead of 30th? Because in the draft, that advancement makes a world of difference in dictating how much more middling you can expect for years to come.

This tanking business is not for the faint of heart. It's ugly, and goes against the grain of anybody who roots for a team. Needed medicine though.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Right?

To add salt to the wound: 1 regulation win in 19 games. One

Just let that sink in for a second. This team is an entirely different level of terrible.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Right?

How can you possibly be willing to just let it go? Wow. I wish you were my boss.

Puddy

Oct 24, 2002
parts unknown
Visit site
If the Sabres goal is to finish last, then Rolston is the guy we want behind the bench. No coach on the planet is going to save this season.
Last summer I was hoping for Patrick Roy or Dallas Eakins to become the Sabres coach. And I think they would have got a shot if it wasn't for Rolston finishing 2013 with a winning record.
This summer's candidates might include Barry Trotz, Kevin Dineen, and ???
Ultimately we need to make a change at head coach. I can live with Rolston in the AHL but shoot me if we are having this same conversation in a year from now.

Karate Johnson*

What is the worst record in NHL history for a coach?

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
If the Sabres goal is to finish last, then Rolston is the guy we want behind the bench. No coach on the planet is going to save this season.

I cannot stand this argument.

Because right now, you're ruining the young talent that you have up here.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
What is the worst record in NHL history for a coach?
I have no idea but Melrose had just 84 wins in 225. His first year in the NHL he led the Kings to the Finals but had Gretzky. After that he has not returned to the play offs. With Tampa he was 5-7-4 before getting canned in 2008-2009.

While writing this I just found out that Jim Anderson was 4-45-5 with the Caps when they were an expansion team and the worst team in NHL history

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Are you not aware who the GM is? One of his biggest faults is that he takes forever and a day to act on something.

And I am sure he's not going to like the scenario where he brings in a new coach and the team doesn't perform any better because that will put the spotlight even more on him.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
This is the Buffalo Sabres' ICU (Incompetent Coaching Unit). It's what happens when your team becomes infected... slows down... and crashes.

2llzp1c.jpg

And if you don't do something about it, your team could end up here, in the NHL graveyard.

Kansas-City-Scouts-Logo.jpg
Colorado-Rockies-Logo.jpg
California-Golden-Seals-Logo.jpg
Cleveland-Barons-Logo.png
Atlanta-Thrashers-Logo.gif
Quebec-Nordiques-Logo.gif

But, it could be saved. With MyCleanFrontOffice.com.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I cannot stand this argument.

Because right now, you're ruining the young talent that you have up here.

Is he? Who is he ruining? Myers has been improving this season. I, like many, have hated the way he's been handling Grigorenko, but the kid is improving. Until RR stuck Foligno at center, he was off to a pretty darn solid start (was at .5PPG and 2nd on the team in hits). Pysyk has been Pysyk. Hodgson's been productive offensively and no worse in other areas of the game than he already was.

I don't think he's stunting anyone's growth right now. I haven't seen any real evidence to support that theory either, just a bunch of BS about creating a "losing culture" (hint: Rolston didn't create it, and it's not going away if we fire him).

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
This is the Buffalo Sabres' ICU (Incompetent Coaching Unit). It's what happens when your team becomes infected... slows down... and crashes.

2llzp1c.jpg

And if you don't do something about it, your team could end up here, in the NHL graveyard.

216px-California_Golden_Seals_Logo.svg.png
200px-Colorado_Rockies_%28NHL%29_logo.svg.png
200px-KansasCityScouts.png
200px-ClevelandBarons.png
200px-Atlanta_Thrashers.svg.png

But, it could be saved. With MyCleanFrontOffice.com.

Thank you for my morning laugh.
Seriously though RR is going to stay the season. This team is build to be bad this season and that would not happen without buy-in from ownership down.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Why not? Ron's record and performance takes a lot of the attention and focus off of DR's decision making..

Kind of the way the White House works these days. It if works, go with it!:laugh:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Get Dineen in here now and end this nonsense!

I want a real NHL coach with NHL experience. Not some USA Hockey National Development Team groomed theorist.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Yes a coach can, if the GM's job depends on that coach succeeding.

Or maybe the plan all along was just give Rolston the job knowing they would be historically bad. Some people want to believe this, IMO thats giving those clowns running the Sabres way too much credit.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Is he? Who is he ruining? Myers has been improving this season. I, like many, have hated the way he's been handling Grigorenko, but the kid is improving. Until RR stuck Foligno at center, he was off to a pretty darn solid start (was at .5PPG and 2nd on the team in hits). Pysyk has been Pysyk. Hodgson's been productive offensively and no worse in other areas of the game than he already was.

I don't think he's stunting anyone's growth right now. I haven't seen any real evidence to support that theory either, just a bunch of BS about creating a "losing culture" (hint: Rolston didn't create it, and it's not going away if we fire him).

Who are the youngsters that are improving due to Rolston?

Myers? He had no where to go but up after last year and his offseason work is the biggest reason for that.

Hodgson? Not sure how you can argue he has been improving. His defensive game is as bad as ever

Ennis? He has regressed

Foligno? He has also regressed. And is now being forced to play a position that he really shouldn't be playing, at least not as a top 6 or even top 9 one.

Pysyk? He has been great and I'm not sure how much of that has to do with Rolston since Teppo does the majority of work with the dmen.

Grigs? Not sure you can really argue he has improved all that much when he can't handle playing center on this level. He did finally scored but it was as our 4th line LW. I don't think anyone would argue Grigs as the 4th line LW is him making progress.

Girgs/Larsson/Flynn have all been very good workers but none of them have developed offensively much beyond where they were at the start of the year. Nor have they all been used properly IMO.

Who exactly is Rolston working his development miracles with?

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Realistically a competent owner and GM would have an exhaustive search for a head coach and not just hand it to the incumbent because he went ".500 (not)"

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
We fire him now and who does buffalo hire exactly??

I'm all for firing before the season is up. But I think it would be best to go another 2-17-2 before we fire RR.
Steps I would prefer:

- Solidify the tank by being 10+ points under the 29th place team with anywhere from 5-15 games to go
- Only fire RR if we have a suitable replacement in mind open to coming to buffalo
- If we do, fire RR and give the new coach a jump start for next season.

If we don't have a suitable candidate then sadly, just wait for the summer.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
If games ended in ties we would be 1-16-2. I haven't seen any sign of improvement outside of small 20-30 minute windows which are immediately followed up by 2 games of futility. He should be gone (along with Sacco, the guy is completely inept as a coach, he didn't even run a system in Colorado. It's amazing that he has a Jack Adams, he can thank Craig Anderson for that) but I'm not counting on anything. Dineen is a logical replacement, be it now or after the season .

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Actually, Kevin WAS in the Sabres system when Portland was our AHL affiliate.

He was...but he was a little different....he came with the AHL club in Portland when Buffalo was affiliated there.

He wasnt a Buffalo hire.

Besides Dineen.....Craig Ramsey is another person who or some reason hasnt really gotten a shot at head coach.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Right?

Idk that twenty games swings Regier into action though, even after admitting his rebuild/tank product was worse than he envisioned. I voted 'No' in that 'Does Rolston last the season?' poll last-week(?) because I figured by the Christmas assessment and/or the Olympic break, there'd be more than enough on-ice evidence for Pegula/Regier to say enough's enough. I just hope the alternative isn't Sacco.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Idk that twenty games swings Regier into action though, even after admitting his rebuild/tank product was worse than he envisioned. I voted 'No' in that 'Does Rolston last the season?' poll last-week(?) because I figured by the Christmas assessment and/or the Olympic break, there'd be more than enough on-ice evidence for Pegula/Regier to say enough's enough. I just hope the alternative isn't Sacco.

I feel like hiring Sacco as an assistant coach is the failsafe for the tank. When public vitriol for Rolston is so high that Regier feels like he has to fire him, he can promote Sacco and be like, "look, a former Jack Adams winner is now the coach!" Public gets satisfied with Rolston gone while the tank still rolls on with Sacco cause you know, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->